Hum from Yamaha CA-1000 and from speakers?

I'm a bit suspicious here ...

A couple of months ago I heard a buzz coming out of my speakers even when they were unplugged. I thought I solved the problem (it was the light dimmer downstairs, when not set on maximum) but I noticed quiet buzz coming from the speakers again a couple of days ago.

I don't know when it started again and I have no idea what is causing it. I just bought a replacement dimmer switch and we'll see what happens when I replace it, but perhaps this hum/buzz from the amp/speakers that started this thread is just the amp's response to whatever is causing this mysterious speaker-coil activation when they're not powered.

I'll post back if I figure it out.

I had a buzz problem in a Pioneer SA-9100 a while back that was finally fixed by simply moving the unit to a different circuit in the house. It had interference from a nearby shop light.

Do you have any circuits that aren't on dimmers that you could try the CA-1000 out with?

It's not that there's buzz in the speakers when the unit is on, there is buzz in the speakers even when the speakers are disconnected! When this happened before I was actually carrying one speaker around the house trying to figure out what was causing it. I think it was the electromagnetic radiation (or whatever) produced from the CFLs when the dimmer switch downstairs was not at maximum. (I didn't put the CFLs in the lamp, and now they're incandescent.)

Now I'm not sure what's causing it. I replaced the dimmer switch and still no change. When the speakers are connected and the unit is on there is more hum/buzz (not more than previously), but I'm wondering if the hum/buzz produced by the CA-1000 is made worse by whatever is causing the speakers to buzz when they're going "solo".

Back
Top Bottom