Where to upgrade?

Mattmon

Hi, I am trying to figure out what is the next logical upgrade in my current turntable set up. Everything I have is rather budget, but overall it sounds pretty good.

Current setup:

Audio Technica ATLP120 Turntable with cork mat and Nagaoka mp-110
ART DJPREii
Onkyo TX8020 Receiver
Polk Audio Monitor Series JR5s

I was curious what would have the biggest effect on sound quality better floorstanding speakers, an improved phono stage or a more powerful receiver. I'm thinking I can scrape together $300-400 for this upgrade.

The Onkyo overall has been a bit disappointing. I read a lot of positive reviews before picking it up and feel like the phono stage is just kind of quiet/ dull, hence the purchase of the budget ART DJPre. Do any receivers have a decent enough phono stage at a budget price?

I have enjoyed the positive effect the external phonostage has had on the setup, but I am curious if a tube phono stage like a Yaqin would give me a bit more umph. I've also considered Cambridge phono pres.

The Polks are nice enough, but they are on the floor because my wife doesn't like the idea of stands with a baby around. Probably a good idea. I thought floorstnaidn speakers could solve this problem. I was thinking about checking out the pioneer SP FS52s everyone is raving about. Or add a subwoofer to the equation.

Or I have considered getting a Pro-Ject Carbon...

Any opinions would be helpful. I don't want to make a lateral move and waste money, but I don't have a whole lot to work with.

Welcome! I can send you a copy of a good article regarding optimization of your current system. It also provides good food for thought as regards upgrading various components.

PM me with an email address if you would like a PDF copy of it. Unfortunately, the AK messaging system does not support attachments (at least not as far as I can tell!).

Before I would recommend any upgrade, I would need to know your room dimensions. Once that is known, I will let you know my opinion. :music:

Horrible advice offered in this thread to the OP.

First question I ask is does the system sound good playing other sources (not vinyl). If not - then find better speakers. Forget about vinyl for a moment, play other sources. Speakers make up 3x the system. You've already spent bucks buying a nice cartridge and phono pre (on a budget table) to compensate for something else that doesn't sound right, but who knows if it's setup right.

Room placement is totally overrated, a bad set of speakers can't be made to sound good in any room. A good set or speakers will sound decent where you put them, but not ideal.

Polks in general are not my favs (have spent a bit on them before and don't like them), yours look to be budget Polks, hmmm.

Room placement and room treatments are sage advice. Both of these thing can help make whatever you have sound their best. A stellar pair of speakers that are in a room in need of treatments will never be fully realized. If your speaker placement is wrong the same hold true. These are basic fundamentals that have held true since the very beginning of the audio world. With today's improves capabilities, placement and treatments are even mor critical.

And for the third time in this thread I too will post a ling to this very useful room treatment thread.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446798

You really need to do your best to address the fundamentals before chasing the dragon looking for the more subtle improvements. :thmbsp:

The Polks are nice enough, but they are on the floor because my wife doesn't like the idea of stands with a baby around. Probably a good idea. I thought floorstnaidn speakers could solve this problem.

Consider hollow stands filled with sand, lead shot or acquarium gravel. They can be stable enough to not be easily tipped, give you proper placement of your current speakers, and keep drivers out of the reach of prying little fingers--those pushed in dustcovers and tweeter domes. And you can do this without breaking the bank.

Floorstanders will still leave the drivers in range of the baby, and a lot of the taller/thinner designs are no more stable than bookshelfs on stands.

Last edited:
If it were mine, with 3-4 hundred to invest, I would ditch the Onkyo, and get myself an NAD 316bee. More power alone, won't make any difference in sound quality, unless you regularly play your system at "House party" level. Then I would save for a better table. Personally, I don't feel your Polks are the weak link at all. This is all IMHO. But I'd be very surprised if the 316 didn't make a very noticeable improvement in sound quality, after burn in of course.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom