New Yamaha owner.

SQDuck

Just getting into vintage audio and in the last few weeks I have picked up 2 lots of Yamaha gear. 1st lot had a C-4 preamp, t-1 tuner and a CD-30 (that the tray will not open). Actually in the same lot picked up a set of JBL L150's that needs a recone on both woofers and radiators. Just now got the second lot in the mail tonight. A-32 amp, T-30 tuner, k-30 cassette deck and a GE-30 EQ. Can't wait to get everything set up once my 10's get back from refoaming. I hear people talk about recapping the C-4. Is this a highly suggested thing to do? Is there anything else I need to do before I connect everything? Also looking to get a upgrade on the A-32 to give the JBL's a little more power. Besides a PC-2002 is there any other amps out there anyone can suggest.

Just getting into vintage audio and in the last few weeks I have picked up 2 lots of Yamaha gear. 1st lot had a C-4 preamp, t-1 tuner and a CD-30 (that the tray will not open). Actually in the same lot picked up a set of JBL L150's that needs a recone on both woofers and radiators. Just now got the second lot in the mail tonight. A-32 amp, T-30 tuner, k-30 cassette deck and a GE-30 EQ. Can't wait to get everything set up once my 10's get back from refoaming. I hear people talk about recapping the C-4. Is this a highly suggested thing to do? Is there anything else I need to do before I connect everything? Also looking to get a upgrade on the A-32 to give the JBL's a little more power. Besides a PC-2002 is there any other amps out there anyone can suggest.

Congratulations, Yamaha makes some great stuff.

As to which pieces are worth fixing and keeping, suggest you search e-bay sold and if a member this site's sold records.

If you are able to do some or all of the work yourself, it has a big impact on cost.

You already have all of the pieces you need to begin listening to your gear and determining if you like it.

Many of the regulars on the board favor the vintage totl products which are a bargain used, especially if you can do the work yourself.

I have some $20 garage sale speakers I use to test gear so I don't damage my expensive ones with test or repair gear.

Hook it up and start listening, make your own conclusions.

As to CD players, a new DVD player for $35 is likely to sound better and play better than any older unit regardless of price.

As to amps, there is no shortage of great sounding Yamaha's. The M series is popular, the MX series which is the next gen has better manufacturing and serviceability engineering, the stuff after the MX series I don't know.

I would hook up the C4, T1, A-32, and EQ and begin listening and seeing what works on very low volume and headphones, all may be keepers if you like the sound. IMHO these are the best components you own. Plug a new DVD player into one interface at a time on the pre amp and cycle through everything on all of the gear, next would be a turn table. Suggest one CD with a clear female voice and listen for lifelike voice.

Clean all of the connectors with a toothbrush, pipe cleaners, a clean rag and de0xit, follow the directions. 30 years of crud buildup.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzNmG_lpNw8

Report back after you test

I can recommend the PC2602. It will run 26 0WPC into 8 ohm or 400 WPC into 4 ohm speakers and typically under rated.

I can recommend the PC2602. It will run 26 0WPC into 8 ohm or 400 WPC into 4 ohm speakers and typically under rated.

Second that...You would really enjoy the PC2602

or the PC2002.... or an MX-1000

Any of these amps will give plenty of juice to those JBL's

Welcome to the forum!

an M-4 would be a great match with your C-4 and should have enough watts for the JBLs. It is a real sleeper amp...

Back
Top Bottom