TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

So the three-tube smooths out the top, does it also roll off the bottom? I have listened to a few tube preamps and although I like how it handles the top end, I have been less than enthusiastic about the bottom end. Sounds suppressed and/or cut off when you get deep.

So the three-tube smooths out the top, does it also roll off the bottom? I have listened to a few tube preamps and although I like how it handles the top end, I have been less than enthusiastic about the bottom end. Sounds suppressed and/or cut off when you get deep.

On the contrary.
The Russian equivalent tubes that I tried didn't suppress or cut out anything.
Better bass smoother mids and no harshness in the treble.
Clearly a big improvement over the Chinese tubes.

Art

Probably should ask this on the preamp thread, but what's the life of the tubes in the three tube preamp? I run my gear long and hard, usually 100+ hours a week. If their lifespan is 5000 hours, you will be replacing tubes 6 times a year...

Maybe this is old news but Parts Express is now selling the YJ Blue/Black board.

http://www.parts-express.com/yuan-j...tm_content=320-6554&utm_campaign=email012915B

IMO that is the one to get. Its a killer sound wise and powerful to boot. I got 2 of em.
check the bay for lowest price and free ship, and get the one with the audio connection cable as shown in the PE page. All else needed is a laptop power supply 19V 4 or 5 amps 15 bux on the bay and Ur good to go. a box and abit of other hdwr as well.

FWIW I sometimes use the TCC TC 754 preamp with the TPA3116 but only because it's small, convenient and has a phono stage. It's SQ is not even in the same zip code with the 6n3 three tube preamp.

tc754_front.jpg

I tried the 754 with mine and agree its not that great of SQ. But I have mine hooked up with a kenwood basic c2 and its a great sounding combo

I'd echo this curiosity, and generalize it a bit - can anyone report on pairing the 3116 with solid state preamplifiers in general? There have been lots of reports on improvements in SQ with tube pre's, but I'm wondering if SS pre's have worked. My understanding is that the gain is not needed, but I'm curious to know people's experience and if there have been other benefits.

I have had great results running my 3116 amps with an Aragon 18k through at pair of NHT Classic 3 speakers, and Wharfedale W60s. The SQ I get with these pairings makes me want to listen longer and more often.

Last edited:
I've been using a YJ blue for a while.

Sparing me the task of reading about the last 100 pages, which board is the current flavor of the day?

OS-CON alternatives

Hi there :yes:
I'm about to experience some mods on one of my "audiobah" AC1308 boards.
I own three of them. They came equipped from factory with two Yugang 35V/470µF capacitors.

I'm going toward the recommended upgrade with Panasonic 25V/330µF SEPF capacitors and also wanted to give a try to a cheaper Panasonic FC alternative as advised in TI EVM (and keeping the "audiobah" original 35V/470µF specs).
A far as I understand, very low ESR is key.

While I was searching on RS, I came across those caps:
-Panasonic FR, (lower ESR version of FC, rated 28mΩ) or
-NIC Components low ESR (rated 23mΩ): http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/7683851P/
Both cheaper than OSCON and even FC at RS.

What do you guys think about them? Suitable?
A good compromise? Any clue?

Last edited:
My TPA3116 mods

I finally got around to upgrade the components of my B/B TPA3116.

I replaced all of the components for high quality ones, including the connectors. Only the resistors and SMD components were kept in place.

Components used:

- Input coupling caps: WIMA MKP10 2.2uF, MKS2 for the small ones
- Power caps: Panasonic OSCON 330uF
- Bootstrap caps: TDK 220nF X7R
- Inductors: Bourne toroid 10uH
- Output filter: WIMA MKS & FKP
- Connectors: Phoenix contacts

Additionally, I lowered the gain setting to 20dB.

hYdKoKd.jpg

The upgrade went pretty smoothly. Desoldering the inductors took some careful wedging between the inductors and the board contacts with a semi-flatheaded soldering tip along with desolder braid. Also the removal of some surrounding components was needed in order to reach in there with the solder iron. That's when I decided to just replace all of the components while I was at it. Also, the stock components are of the really cheap kind.

The 2.2uF MKP10 caps took some leg-bending because its feet are further apart than the holes on the board are. The legs are also quite short, but after some careful bending, all legs will fit nicely through the holes. The additional capacitance should result in better bass extension.
The Bourne inductors are pretty large, at first I wondered how to fit them but after some puzzling they actually fit quite nicely without them touching eachother.

I just hooked it up about 30 minutes ago so the caps probably need some burning it, but I will say that it sounds excellent already!

Last edited:
A question in regards to the VS. part of the tread title, tripaths, I've read that the Tripath in and of it's self is a branded chip, but does it also refer to the rest of the Class D world? And does the TPA3116 work the same as the rest of class D amps?

I'm sure I'm stating this incorrectly. I've been reading about icepower, Hypex, ClassDaudio and on and on recently, tried out an Icepower briefly, WOW, is all I can say. I've also found reviews that lump the TPA3116 right in with aforementioned amps, even though the power differences are 5x higher.

Yep, that I know. So are they all just variants that do the same thing? i.e apples to apples?

I believe some of these class d chips will take digital signals as input straight to the amp acting as a sort of DAC where as the tpa3116 amps like the YJ still takes analog signals as input. The panny xr-57 HTR worked this way (took digitial input straight to the amp) which is a significant improvement in SQ

A question in regards to the VS. part of the tread title, tripaths, I've read that the Tripath in and of it's self is a branded chip, but does it also refer to the rest of the Class D world? And does the TPA3116 work the same as the rest of class D amps?

I'm sure I'm stating this incorrectly. I've been reading about icepower, Hypex, ClassDaudio and on and on recently, tried out an Icepower briefly, WOW, is all I can say. I've also found reviews that lump the TPA3116 right in with aforementioned amps, even though the power differences are 5x higher.

I compared the TPA3116 to the 3 t-amps I owned which all cost more. Two were TK2050's and I believe the Topping is a TK2020. I also had the Lepai TK2020 which I gave to a friend.

My other class D amps not counting the Yung plate amps are a Panasonic XR55 and JVC RX-D205, both AVR's.

None of those come close to the TPA3116.

Bring on the Hypex, Ice amps, Pass ACA etc. as I'd put my money on the TPA3116/Astron.

Nice work! Do you have any plans to do a comparison between the stock and modded versions? FWIW, my boards have sound quite good in stock form.

I replaced all of the components for high quality ones, including the connectors. Only the resistors and SMD components were kept in place.

Components used:

The upgrade went pretty smoothly. Desoldering the inductors took some careful wedging between the inductors and the board contacts with a semi-flatheaded soldering tip along with desolder braid. Also the removal of some surrounding components was needed in order to reach in there with the solder iron. That's when I decided to just replace all of the components while I was at it. Also, the stock components are of the really cheap kind.

The 2.2uF MKP10 caps took some leg-bending because its feet are further apart than the holes on the board are. The legs are also quite short, but after some careful bending, all legs will fit nicely through the holes. The additional capacitance should result in better bass extension.
The Bourne inductors are pretty large, at first I wondered how to fit them but after some puzzling they actually fit quite nicely without them touching eachother.

I just hooked it up about 30 minutes ago so the caps probably need some burning it, but I will say that it sounds excellent already!

Components used:

The bootstrap snubber mod is also worth doing. It's cheap and easy:thmbsp:

o9CGkZVl.jpg

Back
Top Bottom