New or Almost new Preamp or Integrated, which one?

rromeo

My Conrad Johnson PV2 has taken a turn for the worse. I really liked it but it is really old. I contacted a couple of people and to bring it up to snuff would cost me close to $900.

I am thinking a new one to pair with my Conrad Johnson MF2200 SS amp or maybe even possibly a complete newer Integrated.

Things I am looking for. I like the tube flavor the PV2 gave to my system. I also liked the 200 watts I got from the CJ amp. My speakers are 88db efficient. LSA 2 speakers that are new. I am very impressed with them and think they deserves some better ampflication etc.

If I had my druthers I would have phono, usb dac, etc. Most music I listen to is in flac format and vinyl. I listen to Rock, Jazz, Hippie Music. I am also a sucker for singer songwriters too etc. New and Old.

Budget $1500 and maybe up to $2500 if I sell the CJ equipment etc. I have no problem with used but trying to get more modern. All Ideas welcome.

Thanks!

A couple of other points to help.
A Dac is not a game changer.
Soundwise I feel like I am currently missing texture to the instruments. I like the holographic 3d texture feel. I love detail but would sacrifice a little to have sound of honey. I also want good bass though. Warmth and detail??

Anyway. No right no wrong here

I know exactly what you are describing. I am also experiencing a "holographic 3d texture feel" for the first time in my life and I am totally blown away. I am assuming your budget must cover all the components.

Not knowing the dimensions of your listening room, this is what I can recommend to you, and you will experience the holographic 3D texture once again in your music.

Integrated Tube Amplifier:
Jolida JD202BRC
MSRP - $1199.00

Speakers:
Focal 816V Tower Speakers
On Sale - $1299.00

Or if you want a smaller speaker...

Focal 807V Bookshelf Speakers
On Sale - $749.00

Depending on which speakers you prefer and the Jolida Integrated Amplifier, this will bring you under budget. You will experience the holographic 3D texture.

My listening room is 11ft wide X 14ft deep. I am using the Jolida JD102CRC at 25wpc, and a pair of Focal 806V bookshelf speakers, and I am experiencing exactly what you are looking for.

Focal calls them bookshelf speakers, but they are bigger than regular bookshelf speakers. This is why I am experiencing a 3D texture to whatever I am listening to, be it internet radio or LPs.

The prices are from Music Direct. I guarantee you if you speak to a sales rep and ask him what would be his best price, you will get these components cheaper than what I listed them for. The integrated amp will ship within one to two weeks. However, both Focal speakers are in stock now.

Get the Jolida integrated amp and whichever pair of Focals you prefer, and listen to them for 60 days. If you do not like the first pair of Focals, exchange them for the other pair. You will get a holographic 3D texture to your sound.

I am beyond happy with the choices I made, and I know you will too. :music:

I am really pleased with my current speakers. They are new. I have about 15hrs now and am looking forward to them being broke in. They have already changed for the better so it may be just a matter of waiting. I also have a Yaqin MC10L w/ some really NOS tubes going . My Conrad MF2200 really is no slouch. I am currently using a Yaqin Pre MS12b w/nice NOS tubes. My room is weird. 20 feet wide by 13 ft deep. I have my speakers situated 14feet apart and about 9 feet from my sitting spot. I am thinking the Jolida is nice but I dont know if it is much of a change from what I have available now. The Yaqin is similar. The never ending quest for the sound!!
Thanks!!

Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum. One of the best integrated amplifiers I've heard and it's at the upper end of your stated budget. That or keep the very nice CJ amp and opt for the Rogue Perseus Magnum preamp. That's just a bit less than the Cronus but it's a very nice tube pre-amp.

The LSA's need some power at 88db. I have the LSA 1's and find my Sonic Frontiers SFS 40 amp just drives them ok. I'm looking to replace the LSA's with the Focals. So you definitely want some power. I would just look for another pre amp and keep the CJ amp if you like it. The Rogue mentioned above would be great, but above your $1500 budget. I would look for a slightly used tube pre.

Rogue has a brand new preamp coming out this month so there's a good chance your local dealer would be willing to discount the older models if they have them in stock.

I am intrigued by Rogue audio. I love the fact that they are an American company. However from what I have read they don't have that tubey sounding midrange that I reallylike. Still I have never heard of their equipment before so I may be wrong.

I sure like the tube magic the Decware CSP3 adds to my system.

rromeo

There are a good number of CJ and also "tubey" sounding Cary preamps on Agon around and under your budget range. A good number are used from dealers. This includes a PV10 and PV12.

Well I was doing some listening last night. I am coming to realize that the sound is really recording dependent.
On well recorded music the system sounds awesome. Especially with music that is mainly vocals and strings. The problem is when listening to rock and music with lots going on. The instruments get muddled slightly. The speakers are still breaking in at about 15hrs. I am super impressed. What do you think is the weak link on rock music here? The preamp or the amp.
Music being listened to on a Micro Seiki DD40 tt w/Denon DL110 cartridge. Flac is played thru USB Dac HRI Streamer II.

Thanks again.

I'd say the preamp. After auditioning more than a dozen preamps in my system without changing anything else I'm of the opinion that a preamp sets the overall sound and everything else is an extension of what it creates.

Bummer...I don't think we're in the same neighborhood. I sent you a PM anyways with some details. Hope the weather's a little warmer out there than it is here!

Check out Grant Fidelity. They are an AK sponsor and great to do business with. They have a couple of options that might work for you including an Psvane TC5, KT120 tube integrated that I'd love to hear. I bought my Shuguang integrated from them and have been very happy with it.

You will have a lot of options in your price range but I like doing business with AK sponsors when possible. It's a pretty sure bet you will be treated right by them.

Good luck with your search!

cubdog

If only 15 hours on new speakers, I'd suggest waiting before purchasing other equipment as the sound will most likely change. But I've had both the CJ pv10al and pv12al with a CJ amp. Might be a good place to start afterwards. You could pick those up for $500-$1000.

Good advice I am sure. When I first listened to these speakers I was aghast. They sounded horrible. Luckily that changed in the first hour. I havent noticed a big change since. Every once in awhile they sound great and then not so great. However I think it is the recordings and my state of mind that change too. Not too mention the tube pre warming up. If I hadnt mentioned since the pre is now working fine again. ?? Who knows. Still I believe I will modernize and upgrade in future.

Well I did something I have never done before last night. I plugged my squeezebox directly into my amp by passing the preamp. Well I noticed 3 things. Intermediately there was more clarity and detail. Secondly I noticed that it was louder at the same squeezebox volume setting. (I guess if I had the preamp turned up to 100% volume and then used the squeezebox volume it would be comparable) and lastly I decided I like the sound w/the preamp better. I listened to a few songs without and it was a little harsh. I guess I do like the tubes.

So I was thinking maybe get a tube amp and use a passive pre. Hmmmm.

I had a mint CJ PV1/2 in my system for awhile. Gorgeous preamp with nice warmth but a tad on the syrupy side.

It was replaced by a Bottlehead Foreplay III which proved to be a significant upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom