ELITE Aesthet 1 Mk II - Chinese speakers 'done right'

pete_mac

Whilst I sense that Chinese audio gear is polarising for some people, I'm an enormous fan of some of their better-quality brands. I've owned a number of audio-gd DACs over the past few years, and now own a pair of ELITE Aesthet 1 MK II speakers. I figured it wouldn't hurt to get the word out there, as there is very little discussion or knowledge of these speakers on English-speaking forums. Availability is obviously an issue and involves overseas shipping and whatnot, but the ratio of risk vs reward is just phenomenal.

I snaffled these speakers second-hand last week. They are just over 12 months old. Having listened to them extensively, and owned (or borrowed) a number of very good speakers from Dynaudio, PMC, Lenehan Audio, Focus Audio, Usher Audio, JM Lab/Focal and ProAc, I can honestly say that these speakers are the best speakers that I've had the privilege of hearing in my own system.

They are supremely coherent from top to bottom. The bass is deep yet tight, with no boom or overhang, and the articulation of bass notes is fantastic. They've nailed the driver integration perfectly IMHO. The midrange and treble is clean and clear. Importantly, the timbre and tone of acoustic instruments is juuuust right. The realism of vocals is stunning. Yes, I'm dribbling a bit... but credit where credit's due!

The drivers are the same genuine Scan Speak drivers as used in the ProAc 2.5 floorstanding speakers.

The build quality is SUPERB... the birdseye maple veneer is immaculate, the hard gloss finish is impeccable, and the cabinet is weighty and inert. The crossovers use quality components and I've read that the crossovers weigh just shy of 2kg (4.5lbs) on their own!

The main specs are:

Frequency Response: 42Hz-20kHz
Sensitity: 86db/1M/2.83V
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Power Handling: 50-150W
Tweeter: Scan Speak D2010-8513 3/4" tweeter
Woofer: Scan Speak 18W-8545 7" carbon impregnated paper 'crinkle' cone
Crossover Elements: Large diameter OFC hollow inductors,Solen MKP polypropylene capacitors, Imported pure copper connection wires
Cabinet Material: Multiple layered MDF
Finish: Birds eye maple
Dimensions: 420H x 225W x 310D mm
Weight: 13.8kg each

There are a few suppliers of these speakers with the pricing seeming to range from $USD699-799 or thereabouts. Cattylink is one such website eg. http://www.cattylink.com/page135.html Shipping obviously jacks the price up a bit.

Floorstanding versions are also available, but I'm a bit of a standmound guy myself.

If anybody has the opportunity to hear or buy a pair locally (or if you live in a country which does offer these speakers), do yourself a favour and check them out.

The only downsides that I can see are the lack of wider availability (you can't purchase them in-store) and the lack of brand cache - you can't brag to your mates about your latest DynProAcPMCHarbeth acquisition. Trust me on this one though... all is forgiven when you drop that first track ;)

Personally, I'm really enjoying having speakers which aren't BLACK in my Sansui and audio-gd based system. The birds eye maple veneer really lifts the vibe of the room and contrasts with the rest of the gear.

Chinese Speakers

There is nothing wrong with Chinese-made gear.
Like everywhere else there is good stuff and total junk.
I had a pair of Swans Diva 6.1

hivi-diva6.1f_b.jpg

Great speakers soundwise and very well made.

The maple finish is awesome!

I myself use Sheng Ya V518's which Grant Fidelity use to sell. They are fantastic speakers and sound amazing with anything. I'm a fan of well done Chi-Fi, for sure. Equal opportunity audiophile here.

- Woody

Absolutely. Jinyon Audio Co (specifically Mr Luo Yuan Ming) are the company behind the 'ELITE' brand. They design the speakers in-house.

Interesting.

Even the Japanese haven't really been able to put their own brand on the table firmly when it comes to speakers.

Not talking about the actual calibre, just the general reputation.

We will see how Chinese fare with this.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Even the Japanese haven't really been able to put their own brand on the table firmly when it comes to speakers.

Not talking about the actual calibre, just the general reputation.

We will see how Chinese fare with this.

Very, very true David! Realistically, there are a bunch of very, very good speaker manufacturers around the world which simply will never achieve the kind of market penetration nor reputation as the established brands, despite being equal or better than them in many instances.

I can't see ELITE them making inroads in western markets (they've been around for a while now) but they are certainly a sensational buy for anyone willing to buy them unheard and have them shipped.

I'm hanging up my hat for now. There's no need to keep browsing ebay for my 'next big speaker thing', nor any need to save $3-4k for my next pair of locally available 'high end' speakers. Mr Luo Yuan Ming sure knows how to design (and voice) a speaker. Stick a fork in me, because I'm done! :)

Yeah right let's see how long that lasts :D :smoke:

Having said that, I too no longer feel the need to upgrade or change my speakers unless either I can't keep these big speakers anymore or I get a bigger listening room for nice horns.

The Scan Speak drivers and crossover parts for the DIY would almost equal their retail cost.

Pete mac the price for those assembled appears to be a true bargain.

Yeah right let's see how long that lasts :D :smoke:

Having said that, I too no longer feel the need to upgrade or change my speakers unless either I can't keep these big speakers anymore or I get a bigger listening room for nice horns.

I know, I know... I tend to change speakers pretty regularly! ;)

These are certainly keepers though - it will take something pretty special to knock them off their perch.

I'm glad to that you're enjoying your speakers that much!! Great to hear :thmbsp:

The Scan Speak drivers and crossover parts for the DIY would almost equal their retail cost.

Pete mac the price for those assembled appears to be a true bargain.

Indeed, that's the crazy thing about them - they really are astonishing value for money when you consider the cost of the raw components. Throw in a top-notch cabinet with beautiful veneer, and a well designed and tuned crossover, and it becomes compelling value.

There is nothing wrong with Chinese-made gear.
Like everywhere else there is good stuff and total junk.
I had a pair of Swans Diva 6.1

hivi-diva6.1f_b.jpg

Great speakers soundwise and very well made.

nice speakers:music:
now I see where B&W have copied from :scratch2:

btw, do chinese speakers use blue led?

Nice little write up and pics. :thmbsp:

Looking at these, before I saw the price, I was thinking probably in the $2-3k range or so...but they're under $1k? Wow! Looks to be tremendous fit/finish/construction for this price.

I have also had a decent amount of Chinese/Asian gear and think it can be a great bargain: high quality; reasonable or even great price.

I even started my first foray into "real" speakers with the humble Usher S-520's (still use them in a garage set up) and then went on to the Be-718 Tiny Dancer's (still use those in the 4th "workout room" system) until I went into other brands (many of which you mentioned) and higher priced items (I also prefer stand mounts :thmbsp:).

I may have to see if I know anyone who will be auditioning these...or hell, just order them to see what I think, especially since you are impressed with them and seem to have heard a lot of great speakers from reputable quality brands!

Nice little write up and pics. :thmbsp:

Looking at these, before I saw the price, I was thinking probably in the $2-3k range or so...but they're under $1k? Wow! Looks to be tremendous fit/finish/construction for this price.

I have also had a decent amount of Chinese/Asian gear and think it can be a great bargain: high quality; reasonable or even great price.

I even started my first foray into "real" speakers with the humble Usher S-520's (still use them in a garage set up) and then went on to the Be-718 Tiny Dancer's (still use those in the 4th "workout room" system) until I went into other brands (many of which you mentioned) and higher priced items (I also prefer stand mounts :thmbsp:).

I may have to see if I know anyone who will be auditioning these...or hell, just order them to see what I think, especially since you are impressed with them and seem to have heard a lot of great speakers from reputable quality brands!

Ah the S-520s have a special place in my heart - they were my first 'serious' speakers too! I owned two pairs for quite a while.

Based upon what I've owned from Dynaudio, Focal, PMC, ProAc, Lenehan and Focus Audio (from both a sound quality and build quality perspective) you could tell me that these speakers retail for $3k and I'd nod my head and smile. They are a true gem of a speaker.

There are a few Aliexpress sellers who deal in these.

There are indeed!

Ya rate the Chinese over the Aussie favourite?

The ML1s are wonderful speakers no doubt (I owned the Plus R version) but I haven't heard them for over 2 years now (if not longer). However, my dodgy long-term audio memory tells me that the Aesthets have a comparable level of transparency, but have a weightier bottom end and better timbral and tonal balance for my tastes. The sound is more effortless. I reckon you'd need to step up to the larger S2R or ML2 speakers to get a similar sonic signature.

Perhaps the biggest compliment that I can pay these speakers is that they sound like bigger Focus Audio FS86s. I preferred the FS68s too over the ML1s, but personal preference starts to play a big role with quality standmounts in this league, along with how they interact with your room and synergise with the rest of your equipment.

Ah the S-520s have a special place in my heart - they were my first 'serious' speakers too! I owned two pairs for quite a while.

Based upon what I've owned from Dynaudio, Focal, PMC, ProAc, Lenehan and Focus Audio (from both a sound quality and build quality perspective) you could tell me that these speakers retail for $3k and I'd nod my head and smile. They are a true gem of a speaker.

The 520's are great speakers for that price; if I wasn't such an audio nut/perfectionist I could of lived well with them and a little sub. I actually gifted them to a non-audiophile friend at one point, but then he went to a mini I-Pod Dock system and so gave them back. It was good to have them home again...even if I did eventually put them out in the garage like a bad pet lol. (I'd never actually banish a non-human animal to the garage or outside, bad or not).

It seems great speakers have really come down in price; the 520's were lauded as something you could simply not get (sound and build wise) for the price even 5 or 10 years earlier; now we have things for under $1k like the Aesthet's which look (and probably sound) like speakers in the $3k range did not long ago (and speakers in the $3k range sound more like they are in the $6k range and so on).

Great times for audio enthusiasts of all budgets. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom