Tannoy Definition DC10T's in high-gloss black in my current setup

Tannoy Precision 6.4's in high-gloss black in my old setup

Last edited:
I have the Tannoy love :D

Tannoy Definition DC10T's in high-gloss cherry in my previous setup

Tannoy Definition DC10T's in high-gloss black in my current setup

Tannoy Precision 6.4's in high-gloss black in my old setup

Very nice! :thmbsp:

I heard the Kingdom Royal at a local meet, tremendous speaker. I wouldn't spend quite that much on a speaker (at least as of now :D), but if I did it would deserve serious attention, even though I prefer smaller stand-mount speakers (and, as someone said, it does look a bit like a space heater with the grill on!). And their vintage-esque Prestige line http://tannoy.com/residential/#!series_1156 how cool do those look?!

KINGDOM-ROYAL-5-L_large.jpg
7aca4412d7a69a764f2ccecbbc1e45ee.jpg

In depth write up of the Royal; I largely agree with the sonic quality and character conclusions:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue64/tannoy_royal.htm

The Tannoy Definition DC10T's are the most fun speaker that I have ever heard. And while they may seem expensive, it is worth considering that you can get away without a subwoofer and still be grinning from ear to ear :D

Just one man's opinion....The DC10T's look fantastic!

The Kingdom Royal...........not so much.

missing_the_inbound-marketing_boat_zpsieatlhd2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I like both. I'd love to hear some big Tannoys one day. Or even some not so big ones.

cubdog

The Kingdom Royal...........no so much.

They are an odd blend of contemporary and vintage, and while I understand and appreciate what they were trying to do given the history of the model, they do look kind of odd.

Yet they're still far from ugly imo and once you hear them it's hard to worry about what they look like. :jawdrop:

But then again, in that price range, there are other exquisite "I am in the recording studio with the band/artist" sounding speakers which also have (imo) better looks so...

Last edited:
Love Tannoy's…. they seem overlooked to some extent, but they make some very good sounding speakers with great dynamics and some very realistic overall presentations of music. Even their smaller (non dual-concentric) mercury series speakers were (are?) very decent for their price range - although kind of "light weight" and a little flimsy feeling. I use Tannoy mercury mx2m's in my living room system, and they sound very good. I also have a Tannoy "corner sub" in another house, and it is awesome for a 10" powered sub.

Why do people start threads with titles like this which show that they're either not paying attention or can't bother to click the "search" button?

There has not been a lot of attention paid to Tannoy here (especially contemporary Tannoy models as opposed to vintage drivers). Especially as compared to some other forums which I won't mention. Seems a reasonable (if tongue in cheek) question to me. BTW, I really like Tannoy even if I don't say so very often.

I'd love to hear a pair of Tannoy's someday, vintage or modern. It's definitely on my bucket list. Those ones posted above are beautiful.

There has not been a lot of attention paid to Tannoy here (especially contemporary Tannoy models as opposed to vintage drivers).

From the threads I've seen over the years, I don't think that's particularly accurate. I think Tannoy coverage is pretty good, considering their relative obscurity in the US market.

i am now a fan of tannoy .picked up a pair of bookshelf ones the other day from freecycle .. they sound much better than the teac ones i was using .i can hear lots more with them . they are the mercury M1 cherry .
teac ones are LS-300u .
driving them with my old faithful authentic series A225ME

The Kingdom Royal...........not so much.

missing_the_inbound-marketing_boat_zpsieatlhd2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

They look exactly like the King speakers, classic yet modern, but I think the Westminster are hard to beat..

pardon me for the thread but Rega and Kef LS50 are becoming boring even without listening to them..:D

Have you checked which forum you're in?

Yes, and it's probably the wrong one for a discussion of speakers of any vintage. ;)

I've seen plenty of threads talking about more modern Tannoys. That said, I don't participate in the pointless tribalism of sub-forums. The "New Posts" button and the "Search" feature allow access to all information, all of the time. :thmbsp:

Update: I just used the custom Google search under the "Search" tab. 48 pages of results for the term "Tannoy."

Last edited:
You're entitled to have your preference.

But I'm sure that you understand it's a bit rich to expect others to follow yours.

That's why there is different ways to peruse the forums. That said, there is a lot of info on both vintage and modern Tannoy speakers here. Maybe not as much as JBL, Altec, EV, Boston, AR, etc. - but while AK has a world-wide reach, it's predominately a US/Canadian site, and Tannoy's market penetration isn't as high here as it is elsewhere. Though now that I think about it, Tannoy information on the web is less abundant than one might expect for such a large player in the audio world. Not sure why.

Anyway, they've spent 60 years or so building great speakers. Enjoy! :thmbsp::music:

Now I just need to finish the cabinets for mine...

Back
Top Bottom