I'm At The Audio Crossroads - Recommendations Needed

4Play

The day has finally come. I never thought this would ever happen. I am liquidating every piece of audio gear and starting over with a clean slate. I have come to realize that upgrading does not appeal to me as it used to. This time I will buy the best I can afford and be done. This system will last me the rest of my life. If the time ever comes that we move, this will be going with me.

My Current Audio Gear:

Power - McIntosh MA5100 integrated amplifier ~ Jolida JD102CRC tube integrated amplifier ~ Kenwood KA-9100 integrated amplifier ~ Harman/Kardon Citation 19 and Citation 17 preamp

NOTE:
The Citation 19 and Citation 17 are being cleaned and repaired. I should have them back soon.

Speakers - Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE ~ Focal 806V ~ Infinity Primus P252 Front and PC350 Center

Network Audio Player - Marantz NA7004 ~ Denon DNP-720AE

Turntable - Dual 721 Direct Drive ~ Dual 1219 Idler Drive

Audio Budget - $5000.00

Gear To Buy:
Integrated Amplifier - Solid State or Tubes
Speakers - Bookshelf preferred. However I am open to recommendations. Thinking about sticking with Focals, but I am open to other recommendations.
Turntable - Considering ClearAudio Concept, but I am open to other recommendations. Will need a cartridge.
Network Audio Player - Considering keeping the Marantz NA7004. However, if budget allows, I am open to other recommendations.

At this time, do not consider interconnects and cables in the budget.

That's pretty much it for now. So, how would you use the budget of $5,000.00? Sounds like a big task, but I am researching and reading on several components. I am asking you for recommendations on how best to use the money. What components do you recommend. I want the best I can afford, I want the system to last, and I want the system to kick ass.

Your thoughts/recommendations will be very much appreciated. :music:

If I was looking for an integrated amplifier, I would look at the Vincent SV-237 and for bookshelf speakers the Nola Boxers'. Don't know anything about Network Audio Players. Don't you have an AR coming from Steve that will take care of the TT side?

You are right, yes. I will be keeping the XA as a second table. For the sake of the budget, I could forgo the turntable. I have been a fan of ClearAudio since I first seen a pic of the Emotion, which is basically a Marantz. Out of the rest, the Concept is the one I have my eye on.

I'm leaving the rest up to you guys. The Nola Boxers is an interesting choice. I'm not sure where I can source these. A good friend of mine recommended the Vincent also.

I would go with a 2a3set integrated amp for starters. There's bookshelf speakers(Blumensteins) out there plenty sensitive enough for 3.5 w. Our Stereomour's sounding awesome with Corn's.

If you go to Nola's website and put in your location in the contact form, Marilyn will e-mail you back with the closest dealers. I bought mine from a dealer on USaudiomart. I thought they were good enough that my almost new Vandersteen Treos at almost five times the price went on a Fedex truck yesterday.

Also I would keep my eyes open on the "Trading Post" at AudioCircle. Lot of good guys and gear for sale there that is not "vintage."

I would go with a 2a3set integrated amp for starters. There's bookshelf speakers(Blumensteins) out there plenty sensitive enough for 3.5 w. Our Stereomour's sounding awesome with Corn's.

Mike... That is a very interesting combination that I have never heard about. What is it about this pair that make them special. Enlighten me regarding these, please.

Seminole54... I will check out the Boxers. Do you have a pair? If so, what is your impressions regarding the soundstage.

I have had my pair since October and was alternating them in and out with the Treos, until this weekend. They throw a very wide and deep soundstage, much more so than the Treos. Just before CES, Carl announced a "new and improved" version of the Boxer and its' floorstanding brother the Contender. Since then there have been several dealers online who will discount the "original" versions quite a bit. I bought mine NIB from a dealer in Montreal. With the favorable exchange rate I still only paid just over 2/3 of retail even with the more expensive shipping to Florida. I've had a pretty good number of bookshelf/monitor speakers through this room in the last 15 years and only one that clearly beat it was the Reynaud Offrande that now sells for $8000.

Also are you committed to a bookshelf or would a slender floorstander work as well?

Bottlehead forum members rave about these speakers. They have some 8" single drivers I'm thinking about for the shop. The fancy Blum's are quite nice looking. Haven't got a clue how they sound but are very reasonably priced. Your budget is up there. You should be able to put something together that's quite nice. I have less that that in the current system and it rocks. All analogue. Stereomour, Cornwalls, Musical Surroundings Pre 7 VPI Scout, AR XA 7 PL630. Fun spending someone elses money

I have had my pair since October and was alternating them in and out with the Treos, until this weekend. They throw a very wide and deep soundstage, much more so than the Treos. Just before CES, Carl announced a "new and improved" version of the Boxer and its' floorstanding brother the Contender. Since then there have been several dealers online who will discount the "original" versions quite a bit. I bought mine NIB from a dealer in Montreal. With the favorable exchange rate I still only paid just over 2/3 of retail even with the more expensive shipping to Florida. I've had a pretty good number of bookshelf/monitor speakers through this room in the last 15 years and only one that clearly beat it was the Reynaud Offrande that now sells for $8000.

Also are you committed to a bookshelf or would a slender floorstander work as well?

Keep in mind my room dimensions... 11ft wide x 14ft long

I am open to both. As a matter of fact, the Focal 816v and 826V. Price is $1,299 and $1499 respectively and both are 11-1/8 inches wide.

Since you narrowed your ask down to an integrated and speakers, I will provide my recommendation. For reference, I love integrated amplifiers – while it may seem silly, I like that it eliminates the need for 1 power cable and a set of interconnects : ) I have owned McIntosh MAC6700, Vincent Audio SV-236MK, and Cambridge Audio Azur 840A v2.0. I currently own a Cayin H80A, Pathos Acoustics ClassicOne MKIII, and Esoteric AI-10, . Of those, my least favorite was the Cambridge and I liked the rest of them all for different reasons. It is worth noting that I think the Pathos requires a little more careful speaker selection depending on your listening habits.

I would, without reservation, recommend the Vincent Audio SV-236MK – it has now been replaced by the SV-237 which retails for $2,600 but is available for $2,400. The SV-236MK can be had on the used market for significantly less of course. It is a hybrid tube/solid state design and operates in Pure Class A for the first 10W which will probably cover a large majority of your listening – it is, in my personal opinion, magical and brought new life to low/moderate volume listening. It also has plenty of power for harder to drive speakers if needed – it is rated at 150W per channel @ 8 ohms. I don’t put much stock in power ratings, but it seems that it may even be underrated – it seems to have more headroom than my McIntosh MAC6700 did – and that was rated at 200W. Anyway – I don’t really care about those numbers as I was more interested in what I heard. I have helped a number of local guys get setup with systems and a couple of them now run the SV-236MK and are VERY happy with it. It is German design and built like a tank.
New: $2400
Used: $1500(ish)
Alternatives: Rogue Audio Sphinx (getting rave reviews and ~$1300 new)
Yamaha A-S2000 for $1099 (56% off) here
Vincent%20Audio%20SV-236MK_zpsfzhiagya.jpg

My favorite monitor speaker to pair with the aforementioned Vincent is the Canton Vento 830.2’s (though it does play well with MANY speakers). They are also German design and the build quality is exceptional. I think they would be absolutely fantastic for your room size. They use a ceramic tweeter in the entire Vento series which trickled down from their Reference series – it brings great detail without being fatiguing. It also uses a 7” driver which produces some of the best sounding mids and lows that I’ve heard in a monitor speaker. I could go on and gush about these speakers, but I will spare you and just say that I think they’re incredible! I believe retail on the Canton Vento 830.2’s is $2,400 – they come with magnetic grills and are available in 3 high-gloss finishes: white, black, and cherry. They don't seem to come up used very often.

Alternatives: here is a pair of the Canton Vento 870.2 DC floor standers for $2400 which in my opinion is a ridiculous deal. Or the Canton Vento 820.2's for $999

Here is a shot of the Vincent/Canton combo in my previous home/system – it doesn’t do either of them justice, but I’ll share it anyway:
449A8754-4ED6-4C1E-AD48-3AB96AFADF20_zpshobgv2ih.jpg

Having listed those - you may be running short on money (unless you went for the used SV-236MK for $1500ish and smaller 820.2's for $999). Perhaps you could sell what you can to raise enough funds for your next purchase after that. It is tough buying everything at once because you feel like you have to make sacrifices. I think most folks will agree that speakers are one of the biggest keys - it is obviously all important, though - and synergy is big.

Since you seem to really love Clearaudio - perhaps you might consider the Marantz TT-15S1. It is pretty much a Clearaudio table and represents fantastic value since it includes a $900 Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony MM cart - all that for $1500 (Music Direct had a demo last week for $999!). I've had a lot of turntables (Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall, VPI, Pioneer, Yamaha) and I think the Marantz TT-15S1 represents great value.
4DA590E1-1E85-409C-AA26-A032E6CA256C_zpsgpzfxwna.jpg

I know you said to forget about cables and room treatments for now - but I'll just say that a tiny bit int he room treatments (rugs, curtains, speaker placement, etc.) goes a LONG way :D

Last edited:
Livestrong... The room in your pic, this your first home, the one you moved from. Do you remember what the dimensions were? I think this room is bigger than mine.

Both of your recommendations are very interesting, but will eat up the budget and I wouldn't be able to afford a turntable.

I just reread your post where you also recommend the Rogue Sphinx. I've got it on my list. Did you own a Sphinx or have a chance to audition one?

Yes, that room is larger than yours, but as long as you're able to pull the speakers away from the wall, I think they'd do very well in your room. Heck - at $999 with free shipping, just try the Canton Vento 820.2's out and if you decide they're not for you OR you love the Canton sound and decide to get the Vento 870.2 DC's, I'm sure they'd sell here in BT pretty quickly for what you paid for them!

I have not auditioned one, but I know 3 or 4 people that either have or had one. I think it seems to represent great value since it is only $1300 new. If you're interested in giving Vincent a try on the cheap, check BT out :)

Last edited:
Dynaudio X14 with a Naim or Sim Audio integrated would be a great combo that would still leave you 2k or so for sources.

You mean the Cantons are $999 new??? Any idea where I can source the Cantons?
I posted a couple links in my post. That place has the Vento 820.2's for $999 with free shipping I think as well - they retail for $1499. The Vento 870.2 DC's are $1199 each ($2398 pair) on the same site - they retail for $3800. And they're both the high-gloss cherry finish which is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom