Recommendation for Yamaha Power Amp

I heard the M series, once the outputs are blown are basically boat anchors. What truth is there to what I heard?
It's pretty well established that the M series is very expensive to repair when the outputs go because that usually means about 20+ other components are toast.

Only now it is called UsedPrice.com instead of Orion Blue Book.
http://www.usedprice.com/

About the amps; The B-6 is the flagship of the X-power generation and betters the M-70, but it do have a heat issue when driven hard (really hard). The M-4 is a small brother of the M-2, I would put it together with the M-60/65 but not nearly the same power as the 2 newer amps.

---- Edit ----

Hey Mark, it is not fair to post while I write :)

I heard the M series, once the outputs are blown are basically boat anchors. What truth is there to what I heard?

There is a difference between expensive and boat anchor, only Yamaha amps really close to boat anchors when the outputs are blown are the B-1 and B-2, since they use V-FET transistors which has not been made since late 70's. Here the only cure is cannibalism.

M 2, M 4, hell just about any of the M series amps are awsome. I have owned the M 50 and it was a great performer @ 120-125 wpc. The one the I want is the M 4. They are relatively inexpensive, built extremley well, and I've heard nothing but good things about there performance. I want two so I can run them in mono at somewhere around 250wpc :yes:

I ran 2 M-4's bridged through a C-80 and didn't much care for it.

I've got 3 or 4 of the m-4's around. :D

See my post below about M-80's also. :smoke:

I know that guy running two m-80's thru his c-70 preamp :D but he also has a m-35 m-45 (2)CA410II,610II and a b-2 amp also seems like he loves his yammie power he doesnt want to try to guess how much power his amps make bridged :scratch2: one day he dreams of running 2 b-2's

Some other nut I guess :D but I ran 2 M-80's through both C-80 and C-70 pre's for a few years.

I've no means to measure the actual output, but it was estimated at 660WPC at 8Ohm. They've been supplanted by a pair of PC2002M's running bridged at 700WPC (spec.) The PC2002M's sound every bit as good and don't break a sweat or get warm. The M-80's always did run quite warm, esp in class A at lower levels.

I recently acquired some vintage Yamaha professional iron, a P2100 power amp (100 wpc at 8 ohms). The massive power supply and huge heatsinks indicate to me that Yamaha wasn't just messing around. It's the baby of the lineup - a few guys on AK have some serious Yamaha boat anchor pro amps, but anyway, this amp blows my mind and is far more robustly constructed than probably Yamaha's best consumer stuff. The sound is really satisfying.

if you can get a good deal on an M-80 or PC2002, i'd go that route. however, people have been asking a LOT for M-80s/M-85s on eBay lately - i purchased an M-80 last summer a few hours after it was listed for $250 minus 30% for the live/paypal discount - unfortunately it was damaged during shipping but i was reimbursed for repairs. i second the notion that their older pro amps were at least as good as the corresponding home version.

One More...

...The B-6 is the flagship of the X-power generation...

All excellent Yamaha amps mentioned on this thread. The B-6 is one that I would like to have myself :D

http://thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/B6/B6.html

15450497_6afc2b1fb9.jpg

Last edited:
Vintage pro amps like the Yamaha PC-2002M offer stellar performance for reasonable cost. This setup is bridged for 750 WPC into my Snell b minor "power sponges" and a JBL B-380 sub. Sets a difficult to surpass benchmark for high perfomance amps. Thanks to a fellow AK'er I learned about these Yamaha's. Traded up from M-85's.
PC2002MX3.jpg

Last edited:
Vintage pro amps like the Yamaha PC-2002M offer stellar performance for reasonable cost. This setup is bridged for 750 WPC into my Snell b minor "power sponges" and a JBL B-380 sub. Sets a difficult to surpass benchmark for high perfomance amps. Thanks to a fellow AK'er I learned about these Yamaha's. Traded up from M-85's.
PC2002MX3.jpg
What a beautiful stack!

Those are great amps.

:yes:

YAMAHA PWR, MX-D1 DIGITAL AMP
Description: 2-CHANNEL, BRIDGEABLE, MOSFET, RCA/XLR INPUTS
Manufacture Years: 2004 - Current
Power: 500wpc
MSRP: $5,000.00
USED: $2,660.00

This power amp, which is still in production, is available for far less that its MSRP. I bought mine last year, NIB, for $1,200. Amazon currently is selling it for $3,000, but I suspect some more thorough sleuthing will turn up a unit for less than that.

It's a powerhouse, despite its small size and weight, and it sounds fantastic.

PC2002MX3.jpg

S: Did you try lateral bi-amping? How does bridging compare?

S: Did you try lateral bi-amping? How does bridging compare?

Yeah...that hasn't happened yet. I want to run identical speaker cables and while I have some nice wires, I don't have four runs of identical cable. Bridged is pretty impressive but I know that lateral bi-amp will be the best.

Yeah...that hasn't happened yet. I want to run identical speaker cables and while I have some nice wires, I don't have four runs of identical cable. Bridged is pretty impressive but I know that lateral bi-amp will be the best.

I'd have to agree with you on the bi-amp vs. bridging although it would be interesting to hear them back to back. Combining channels is not as good as keeping them separate. I wish I knew the technical reason, that will be a good one for Tom.

Back
Top Bottom