Help me find my future Kenwood?

I'm hearing ya, and I'm believing ya.

But if you'd indulge me, let's talk about the KA-9100 vs my current object of desire, the KA-801.

Quick links to specs:
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/ka-9100.shtml
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/ka-801.shtml

The KA-9100 has lots of press. The vintage knob says: "One of the pinnacles of what "healthy audio gear" meant... when knighthood was in flower." My fellow AK'ers here, and random comments on other boards continually praise this amplifier. It is certainly a top contender.

However, unless I'm missing something, the KA-801 has all that and then some (except the press). I think to myself "is this a diamond in the rough"? Is this simply flying a bit below the radar at the moment? Maybe, just maybe, this is the real steal in the Kenwood line up?

The 801 has more power; has a larger damping factor; has better S/N ratios; has the beloved meters - and is even heavier than that KA-9100.

HiFi Engine shows the KA-9100 with a wider frequency response, but that's the only specification where the KA-9100 excels (unless I've missed something).

Both amps are the "dual power supply" design.

So I have to ask: why is the 9100 the hot-hand? Is it just because it's more common - or does it really have the secret sauce?

I have both the Kenwood KA-9100 and KA-801. SQ wise there's not much between 'em (both are excellent). Although,the KA-801 gives a slightly more feelin' of depth to the music,whilst he KA-9100 tends to be a tad more laid back,relaxed sounding.

The only thing that really lets the KA-801 down is that the ends of the toggle switches easily snapped off... finding a perfect condition KA-801 can prove difficult because of this.

I'm so glad you replied Daunia! Thanks. This is very good to know.

I have both the Kenwood KA-9100 and KA-801. SQ wise there's not much between 'em (both are excellent). Although,the KA-801 gives a slightly more feelin' of depth to the music,whilst he KA-9100 tends to be a tad more laid back,relaxed sounding.

The only thing that really lets the KA-801 down is that the ends of the toggle switches easily snapped off... finding a perfect condition KA-801 can prove difficult because of this.

You have got to stop shopping by specs. The differences are so small it doesn't matter. I would take the 9100 over the 801 all day. I feel the 9100 is better built. You cannot physically hear the differences between 90 wpc and 110 nor the difference between .02 and .03 thd.

With a decent pair of high quality sensitive headphones it can be very surprising the differences you hear between amps. With regards to the build quality on the KA-801 and KA-9100 it's a tough call... but the KA-801 does have all metal knobs with grub screws (like the TOTL KA-907/KT-917 combo) whereas the knobs/toggle switches on the KA-9100 are cheaper pull off metal plated/plastic in the middle ones... shame about those all metal toggle switches on the KA-801 though... very bad flimsy design.

I hear what you are saying moejr - I'm quibbling over the tiniest of bits that could very well make no audible difference.

Daunia, have you used the phono inputs on both the 9100 and 801?

According to the specs, the 801 betters the 9100 by 7db in the S/N ratio of the phono stage. If there might be a SQ difference, I wonder if its in the phono area.

I'm also very interested in what you described as a laid-back sound of the 9100 compared to the 801. Typically, I find that I personally enjoy equipment that has been reviewed as having a "laid back" sound. My main system is a Marantz/Wharfedale combination, for example.

I'm expecting to pair this Kenwood amp with some ADS speakers as the main drivers. I've never had either brands, and so now's my excuse to get them. I'm unsure if this will be a good combination or not, but I'm willing to try. I will need to do more reading about the ADS speakers to see if they may favor the laid-back sound or would be more in-tune with "depth" of the 801.

:scratch2:

I hate to state the obvious but the amp/receiver to buy is the first one on your shortlist that comes up within striking distance of home in good condition and at a fair price.

....or....
one that has been completely restored and comes with a renewed 3 year warranty?

There is a KA-5700 for sale that has been redone and carries a renewed warranty....

Specs be damned, the renewed warranty could be worth gold!

Ever hear of renewed warranties on vintage gear? This is the place that honors them:
http://www.electronicrepair.com/stereo-repair/

I hear what you are saying moejr - I'm quibbling over the tiniest of bits that could very well make no audible difference.

Daunia, have you used the phono inputs on both the 9100 and 801?

According to the specs, the 801 betters the 9100 by 7db in the S/N ratio of the phono stage. If there might be a SQ difference, I wonder if its in the phono area.

I'm also very interested in what you described as a laid-back sound of the 9100 compared to the 801. Typically, I find that I personally enjoy equipment that has been reviewed as having a "laid back" sound. My main system is a Marantz/Wharfedale combination, for example.

I'm expecting to pair this Kenwood amp with some ADS speakers as the main drivers. I've never had either brands, and so now's my excuse to get them. I'm unsure if this will be a good combination or not, but I'm willing to try. I will need to do more reading about the ADS speakers to see if they may favor the laid-back sound or would be more in-tune with "depth" of the 801.

:scratch2:

Years ago,I used the phono inputs on both amps with different TT's,but haven't actually compared side by side using the same TT.
But both have been compared using a Pioneer PD-91 reference CDP and Naim CD5/CD5I CDPs via Chord Cobra III interconnects.
The KA-9100 is more laid back,slightly more relaxed sounding than the KA-801. The KA-801 seems to have slightly more depth and sounds a tad more dynamic,faster,perhaps even aggressive.

jeese...been googling around...those KA integrated's sure are purty.....

Safe to say the KA-9100 is TOTL in the KA series? That thing is "sexy" all by itself!

They sure are.

IMG_0978.jpg

The KA-9100 is more laid back,slightly more relaxed sounding than the KA-801. The KA-801 seems to have slightly more depth and sounds a tad more dynamic,faster,perhaps even aggressive.

This gives me much to think about, and could be the very "secret sauce" which makes the KA-9100 so desirable. When people seek out vintage gear, I think they (on the whole) value that laid-back, tube-like, sound.

However, for my purposes, these units pretty much fall into a "tie" with price and condition being the swaying factors. I'm certain I'd be happy with a 9100, but I still incredibly intrigued by the 801. These seem to show up fairly regularly on the used market so I can be picky and still take my time.

I very much appreciate all the comments. You are really helping me tighten up my "short list".

Back
Top Bottom