Kenwood Basic C2

I just picked up a Kenwood Basic C2 and wanted to know if anyone had a copy of the owner's manual. I would like to try it out while my Conrad Johnson PV-6 is in the shop but I do not know what some of these settings are for, like the phono value adjustment and so on. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

If you don't succeed, I may be able to scan my copy and send it. Very nice preamp, I use mine daily with a Basic M2 power amp. In the children's room (I had to put it somewhere)...

Hi Ben, I've used a C2 for years, and love it. Just match the phono selector knob to your cartridge settings. To wit: type (MM, MC), and it's output impedance. If you don't know what your cart's value is, just fiddle with the knob until it sounds good, and the same volume level as your other inputs. Most everything else is pretty easy to figure out. It really is a nice pre! Post back if you have any more questions.

I reckon AK has the world's largest group of C2 owners as members. I can see someone starting a C2 appreciation thread one day. Give it another year and these things will command a small fortune on ebay and Craigs list. A genuine hidden gem if ever there was one:thmbsp:.

C2 owners

Hi y'all,

Yes, the C2 is a very nice unit. Sometimes I use mine late at night by itself (w/headphones). Sometimes I use it with the M2A, another real find IMHO.

I joined AK earlier this year as a Sansui lover. Had a new one way back when. Bought it back and still have a pair of original speakers (SP35000).

Now I'm also liking what Kenwood has (had) available.

Variety is the spice of life :yes:

Happy listening to all,
samosui

Thanks Jake:thmbsp:.
And if anyone got the service manual as well, that will be the icing on the cake. I really fancy bringing it up to date with a few newer components one day.

By popular request - here's a link to my scanned Basic C2 manual. Might be nice to have for those who own the preamp but don't have the instruction manual. Let's hope this works...

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/Marantz500/Kenwood Basic C2 Manual/

All the best,
Jake

Jake, thanks so much for taking the time to scan and upload all of those pages. :thmbsp::thmbsp: We all (any of us that take advantage of this) really appreciate it.

Best of everything (especially vintage audio) to you!!

Thanks,
John

I have one, Let me see if I can make copy's and I can ship it out to ya!

Shawn.

If you don't succeed, I may be able to scan my copy and send it. Very nice preamp, I use mine daily with a Basic M2 power amp. In the children's room (I had to put it somewhere)...

By popular request - here's a link to my scanned Basic C2 manual. Might be nice to have for those who own the preamp but don't have the instruction manual. Let's hope this works...

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/Marantz500/Kenwood Basic C2 Manual/

All the best,
Jake

Shawn & Jake,

You two are some of the folk that make this such a nice place.:thmbsp:

I have an issue with my Kenwood Basic C2. It seems the balance knob is wearing out, as there is constant static through the right speaker and it intermittently fades in and out without me touching it. Now, if I were to turn the balance knob while music is playing, the right channel scratches. If I were to do the same thing but with no music playing, no static comes through the speakers. I've tried repeatedly cleaning the potentiometer with De-oxide/lubricant, but nothing fixes it. So, do you all think the potentiometer is actually bad ? Is there a way I could just bypass it all-together ? I don't use the balance knob anyway so it wouldn't make me cry if I never had to balance the speakers anymore. Thanks for any replies!

I just picked up a Kenwood Basic C2 and wanted to know if anyone had a copy of the owner's manual. I would like to try it out while my Conrad Johnson PV-6 is in the shop but I do not know what some of these settings are for, like the phono value adjustment and so on. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Nice pick up!
I use a C2 for my main pre-amp with a M1D.
If I am reading your avatar right I guess I should be asking you how the JBL center channel is working out?
Welcome to AK!

:D

Hi Raddek,

You can bypass it. I've done it to a broken balance pot in a Yamaha amp. You need to know the end to end resistance of the pot and how it's hooked up. Two resistors and a little soldering should do it. You can download the service manual here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2873770&postcount=16

I got a C2 last spring but haven't used it much yet. Guess I should give it a spin as it seems to be well regarded.

John

Raddek,

Just had a quick look at the schematic, you may need more than two resistors but it's very possible to bypass it.

Have fun,
John

Noone knows anything about bypassing the Balance potentiometer ?

Hi Raddek, I'm pretty sure that it can be done. If one worked on electronic gear a lot they'd be able to perhaps just look at the pot, make a measurement or two, and just remove (bypass) it. But a schematic would help.

I doubt if any AK member has done this, however. But a schematic and a good tech (or 'tinkerer') with a DVM should be able to figure this out once access to the pot is achieved.

The Basic C2 makes a great headphone amp by the way. And it's a great preamp to boot.

Happy listening to all :music: ,
samosui

Happy listening

thank you so much Marantz 500 for the download for the C2. i had just about gave up on finding someone with a owners manual. been a Kenwood fanatic since the 80's when they were the Trio company. a few times i drifted outside, but always came back. got one more piece i need to find the manual to, the GE 1100. been able to find some people selling it, but no manuals. if anyone can point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it.
i use my C2 with the KC-X1 & KM-X1. thanks a bunch ya'll !!! AK is the bomb diggly!

Hi Raddek,

You can bypass it. I've done it to a broken balance pot in a Yamaha amp. You need to know the end to end resistance of the pot and how it's hooked up. Two resistors and a little soldering should do it. You can download the service manual here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2873770&postcount=16

I got a C2 last spring but haven't used it much yet. Guess I should give it a spin as it seems to be well regarded.

John

Dude! Yeah! Thanks for that DL link. I miss my Basic C2. :tears: So if you can't find time for your C2, PM me... :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom