Help me find my future Kenwood?

cubiclecrush

Hello!

I have this idea...
...I want to put together a system with components that feature names from my family. Central to this will be a "Kenwood" of some sort - my fathers name being "Ken". See where I'm going?

I'm thinking about targeting a vintage Kenwood receiver or pre-amp.

I also have a "Scott" in the family, so some combo's might be:
Kenwood pre-amp, HH Scott amp
Kenwood receiver, HH Scott speakers
ETC.

I do not need high power, this will be used in a low-volume office system. Flea-watt stuff would be fine.

SQ is important, but I'd really like something that excels visually. I expect to purchase something in the next 3-6 months - so I have time to look around.

Any recommendations on things to keep a look-out for?

Hello!

I have this idea...
...I want to put together a system with components that feature names from my family. Central to this will be a "Kenwood" of some sort - my fathers name being "Ken". See where I'm going?

I'm thinking about targeting a vintage Kenwood receiver or pre-amp.

I also have a "Scott" in the family, so some combo's might be:
Kenwood pre-amp, HH Scott amp
Kenwood receiver, HH Scott speakers
ETC.

I do not need high power, this will be used in a low-volume office system. Flea-watt stuff would be fine.

SQ is important, but I'd really like something that excels visually. I expect to purchase something in the next 3-6 months - so I have time to look around.

Any recommendations on things to keep a look-out for?

So, your Dad's name is Ken Wood amirite? Sorry, couldn't help myself :D

A preamp won't do you any good without a source for amplification. Receiver or Integrated amp perhaps. There are many to choose from.

This might get you started http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/kenwoodaudiogallery.html

Last edited:
At least, at some point, Ken had "wood" - that's how I got here today! ~ahem!~

I like some of the KR series, especially if they have pre-outs for expansion into an external amp at some point.

In regards to the KR model numbers, are there any that are "rare"?

It is correct to assume that the higher the number, the higher up on the food chain it is? IE) KR-6600 is a step-up from KR-5400?

If I went with a pre-amp, I'd be looking for a pre-amp/amp combo: either all Kenwood; or a Kenwood pre, with a Scott amp - etc. I'm not in a total rush, so I can put things together over time.....

jeese...been googling around...those KA integrated's sure are purty.....
...and I don't need a tuner.

Is there a list of the integrated amps around?

Has anyone used the pre-outs to pair them with tube amps?

A tube amp sitting on top of a KA-8100 sure would have that eye-appeal I'm seeking.....

AND...what are these "Turnover" and "Presence" switches I see on some Kenwood model 500's? Interesting.

Safe to say the KA-9100 is TOTL in the KA series? That thing is "sexy" all by itself!

Last edited:
jeese...been googling around...those KA integrated's sure are purty.....

Safe to say the KA-9100 is TOTL in the KA series? That thing is "sexy" all by itself!

Yes, purty it is. It's the one that drew me in to Kenwoods. Nice feature is a rear switch allowing you to separate pre from amp section. Thereby giving more flexibility in your setup.

As far as I'm aware, the only separate preamp component that Kenwood made in the silver face era was the 700c. Pretty rare and pricey when you come across one.

KA-9100's come up for sale on eBay once or twice a month, give or take. If you don't succumb to auction fever, you can land one in good condition for a decent price.

Good luck whatever you end up going with.

Yes, I think that KA-9100 has to be on top of the list for integrated amps. The 6100 is pretty nice too - same looks, less power. I guess I'm a sucker for the meters. :D

But I can't get some of those receivers out of my head either! Kenwood sure has some good looking gear!

It'll be a fun search. I'm really hoping to get something local, using the auction site(s) only as a price-guide and idea-generator.

And I must admit, I've not considered Kenwood speakers. I already have a turntable for this "name game system" that's why I kept TT's out of the mix. But speakers....not sure....are there any specific models to look for?

A few of the great Kenny's are the Model 600, Model 500, KA-901, KA-9100, KA-1100D...

The list goes on...

Check this out:

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/kenwoodbrochures.html

The whole lineup from late 70's.

Thanks! That really helps out! Bookmarked! Has the '78 and '80 brochures.

I like the KA-901 that SPL DB pointed out too. Again - meters! :banana:

I'm starting to talk myself out of using one of the integrated as a pre-amp for a different tube amp. I'm looking for an excuse to get a tube amp, but I don't think this name-game system is the one for it.

Instead, I can picture a nice Kenwood stack as the trunk to this system, with other "named" components off of it like branches.....

Integrated Amp - with meters (KA-9100, etc)
Cassette Deck - with meters (KX-1301?)
Equalizer? (haven't seen one yet - don't like the GE-80)
Unsure about a tuner

That could be a nice Kenwood trunk for me to branch from!

The Kenwood KA-907 is one awesome sounding integrated amp... would probably be at the top of my list.

The KT-8300 is one of Kenwoods TOTL's , I use one as my main FM listening. Great tuner.

John M

The KA-907 is top dog as far as power goes. On that auction site there are some 9100's for sale. Also an 8100 and 8300 and 7300. All excellent amps. I have a KA-405 that is 55 wpc of Kenwood goodness. There is one of those there too.

HiFiEngine has a list of model numbers that is fun to go through.

They seem to be plentiful, which bodes well for one popping up locally (hopefully after the holidays). I don't need one of the super-big ones, really - in my position one of the smaller ones would do me fine too! But then again, more power never is wasted! Price, condition - and above all - timing (is everything).

The KA-7300 may not be TOTL but it's built like it and the sound is glorious. They aren't exactly under the radar but still very reasonable as of yet, and you gotta love the dual mono design. I purchased one last year to drive some Infinity speakers for the bedroom system.

Here's a pic from the net showing the dual power supplies.

ka7300.png

So....the search continues.

I've passed up on a KR-4070 and KR-5010.

I'm day dreaming about the KA-801, KA-9100 and the KA-7100.....among others that have been pointed out to me here.

....but during last nights day dream, I get a line on a Kenwood Model Eleven III receiver. I think I'm dazzled by the looks of the thing and I've posted in Dollars-and-Sense regarding the price point for these.

Unrelated to the price-point, I read some older threads here at AK that speak to it's "lesser" design compared to the TOTL KA models.

If anyone has any general comments about the Model Eleven III: desirability, build quality, sound quality, things to look for when evaluating one......

....I'd be appreciative.

I have about 2 days to decide if this is "the one" or if I should keep looking.

I had an Eleven II and it was a great sounding unit. Very nicely built. One thing that tends to be broken on them is the timer though I was lucky mine still worked.

I was unable (unwilling) to offer more than $300 for the Eleven III, and that wasn't enough to get it.

The search continues. KA-801 and KA-701 tops my want-list for integrated amps with the best specifications; the KR-7050/6050 receivers floating to the top of my receiver list for the same reason.

I might be killing myself by letting the specs guide my decisions, but these beat-out the KA-9100, KA-7100, KA-7300, Model 11's, Model 9's and a host of other "more expensive" Kenwoods.

The SN ratio on the phono MM input, the damping factor, and THD are specs that I seem to be obsessing over. With aesthetics being a tie-breaker.

I'm probably making this much harder than it needs to be. ;)

If you're worrying about specs then you're limiting your choices. You cannot hear the difference between .01 thd and .9 thd. It's too minute. 9100,7100 and 7300 are top models from kenwood. They should all be considered. I do have a KR-9050 that is a beast and a wonderful unit but so was my KR-9600.

I have a KR-4600 receiver that's 30 WPC and I love it. It has been replaced in my main system by a KA-9100 amp which I also love. You can't beat the looks and sound of the classic Kenwoods. I've has Sansui, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha and Realistic receivers and I prefer the Kenwoods.

Back
Top Bottom