kenwood KR-V106R OR KR-V9030

carls06

Hello, Newbie here.. Ive always loved the older kenwoods.. Friend let me borrow a KR-V8040, and I decided to get back in the game.. My last oldest one i had ,, was from around ?? 1993..

Now Im looking at either a KR-V106R ,[ 1989 ? ] or KR-V9030 [ 1991 ? ]
Wanted advice on which one is better choice.. A friend of mine said ,deff the
KR-V106R.. - Thoughts guys ???.. I figured i go with the KR-V9030, as higher RMS.... But looking for better thoughts on this since im not up much on which receiver is better... :scratch2:
P.S. - I have a kenwood VR-209 [ NEW IN 1998 ] thats in the closet. That ,, well.. YUK. :thumbsdn: Bought it new, in 1999 , Still is like new...

Hope i posted where i suppose to.. Thanks

The difference in power between the 2 is not significant enough for you to notice. Both the units you listed are nice. I would take the 9030 as it is the newest of the 2.

The difference in power between the 2 is not significant enough for you to notice. Both the units you listed are nice. I would take the 9030 as it is the newest of the 2.

Thanks... Most likely will go with the KR-V9030.. Seems 30 watt more would be noticable.. enough.. mmm.. -
Friend aimed for the KR-V106R, as its metal face ??? and equil built in.. mmmmm..But i saw pic's on line, and it looks like it has NO Center channel speaker hook up.. ??????????????.. But i most likely wouldnt use the surround..
Any idea's if it does have center channel output ????

I believe you are correct that there is no center channel on the 106R. Never let wpc make an amp decision for you. You would need a 3db increase in loudness in order to hear even a slight difference. In order to get that 3db you need to double the power so if you are running 100 wpc you would need 200 wpc to just barely hear a difference. You unless you had an spl meter you would never be able to tell the difference between the 106R and 9030.

I believe you are correct that there is no center channel on the 106R. Never let wpc make an amp decision for you. You would need a 3db increase in loudness in order to hear even a slight difference. In order to get that 3db you need to double the power so if you are running 100 wpc you would need 200 wpc to just barely hear a difference. You unless you had an spl meter you would never be able to tell the difference between the 106R and 9030.

OK, THANKS... Wonder why this older kenwood KR-V8040 [ 100 rms @ 8 ohm 2 channel driven ] that a friend is letting me try, comes across as having so much more ummpp.[ and so much less volum needed.]-- Feels like i could blow speakers,, Or me out the door..:thmbsp:
Compared to my new yamaha HTR-3066 [ 80 RMS @ 8 OHMS.] ????

I NOTICED THIS SAME thing back in 1998, when i replaced a [ 1991 yr ] kenwood for a VR-209,[ 1998 ] WITH same watt,per channel spec into 2 channel's.

Come's across as, older units were under rated ????, compared to new. OR newer one's over rated..-.[-Older, quality car amp's were under rated like this ]
I recently went thru this same issue when i put killer system in my car [ 2006 vette.]-- New amps just seem ?? lower on watts or lack,, ummp , then quality older car amps..- Went with a HELIX 5 CHANNEL. and it would kick ass, compared to new with same rating's.. AND also my boston acoustic GT-42, [ MADE IN ITALY ].

People like numbers. People buy based on numbers. People like power. When the companies figured this out in the 80s the wattage wars began. Instead of basing the output on continous wpc they went to max wpc. Big difference between continuous and max.

Wattage wars started around 1974 and peaked in 1978-9

I misspoke. During those wattage wars they were still rated using continuous values as opposed to peak/max. But if people are buying based on numbers why put effort and money into legitimately more powerful amps? Just quote peak. People don't know the difference.

Thanks, guys....... Makes me want to compare continu, watts on both units i have. Old kenwood,KR-V8040 to my new yamaha HTR-3066,
They should set, a standard on ratings for all brands.. Max watts means nothing, need real #'s..
I did hook up both, and compared sound output from one to the other,and played fav, c.d... Older kenwood sounds like it had alot more power, BUT the yamaha was alot cleaner sounding at speakers..
But i found if i turned off the JUNK loudness button on old kenwood, and tweak the bass/treble, it will come close to the new yamaha for clarity.. I bet if i hook up my equilizer to older kenwood i could do small adjustments, and it would match sound clarity.. And, the extra power it WOULD -- blow new yamaha away..-
I may hoop up equilizer to kenwood, and compare.. to new yamaha..
LUV, PLAYING

Last edited:
Equalizer doesn't = better clarity. It just gives you more control of the sound. I used to have an EQ in my system but took it out as I didn't need it.

Equalizer doesn't = better clarity. It just gives you more control of the sound. I used to have an EQ in my system but took it out as I didn't need it.

Sorry , I used wrong word didnt exactly mean clarity.. Meant being able to more fine tune sound, per- room,speakers,receiver..:music:

Well the 106 has push button volume control so that's out. I got a 7080 for cheap locally and It rocks just fine. Nice to have for emergencies but a pointless investment for more when you need a separate amp or integrated.

Well the 106 has push button volume control so that's out. I got a 7080 for cheap locally and It rocks just fine. Nice to have for emergencies but a pointless investment for more when you need a separate amp or integrated.
Me dumb, lol..
Im not up to much on the, separate amp or integrated..
I take it its added to existing, A/V unit.. for more power. Adding sep amp to additional PRE OUT jacks on receiver...?????? -.If ya could explain more on this it would be great learning.. :yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom