C2500 Tube upgrade

Brice

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi guys,

I was thinking upgrading the stock tubes of my C2500 with new production one.

Any C2500 owner did that already?

I was thinking using TungSol S Gold or the Genalex Gold Lions Premium.

Thank you.

I haven't done it myself, but I've heard good things about the Gold Lions. Been thinking of buying a set.

I have the Gold Lions in the line out section only and they did improve the sound in my opinion. The Bass seems to be fuller sounding and the highs are smooth yet still detailed. I have not replaced the ones in the phono sections as the MC phono seems to sound good with the stock tubes.

Thanks guys,

Just a quick question: How do you know which tube feed which output?

I use only the server connection so do I only use one tube?

Can I remove the other tubes I don't use to generate less heat in the unit?

Thanks

Thanks guys,

Thanks

The glass panel on top shows you what each tube is connected to, right below the tubes. The output stage is to the right, one tube for each channel. :thmbsp:

I seriously doubt it'd be a good idea to run the unit without all the tubes. Someone else with more knowledge than me might know more.

Thanks guys,

Thanks

Just use some cheap tubes in the circuits you don't use...they will last a long time.

Don't remove tubes...this will change the loading on the power supply regulators and on other stages in the preamplifier which will alter voltages and operating points. Your preamplifier will not then be operating as designed.

I have been thinking about this also. I have been very happy with my C2500 with the stock tubes but have never tried to swap them. I get confused about the whole process. The manual says nothing but if I remember correctly it takes 6 12ax7 tubes and you want matching tubes for each circuit.

I’m unable to pull my 2500 out to look but what are the 3 circuits? I know one is phono and one is line out what’s the 3rd?

I'm about to squeeze the trigger on this one. I found a ebay seller claiming to have a quad matched set. I believe the other tube set I was asking about is for MM phono and I’m not using it so all I need is the 4 and this looks like a good deal.
This is a copy of the description.

New factory matched set of four gold pin Genalex 12AX7 . These are arguably the finest current production 12AX7s available and hard to find at a reasonable price.

This new production Genalex tube is manufactured at their Xpo-Pul factory (also known as Reflektor) in Saratov, Russia.

It is a high gain, low noise valve with a short plate structure for reduced microphonics. Excellent for use in the highest quality audio amplifiers/pre-amplifiers.

They are all recent date codes. Tubes are labelled with test result for each section.

All tubes carry the 90 day factory warranty against defects from date of purchase.

I have been selling tubes of all types for more than ten years. Buy with confidence.

I have been thinking about this also. I have been very happy with my C2500 with the stock tubes but have never tried to swap them. I get confused about the whole process. The manual says nothing but if I remember correctly it takes 6 12ax7 tubes and you want matching tubes for each circuit.

I’m unable to pull my 2500 out to look but what are the 3 circuits? I know one is phono and one is line out what’s the 3rd?

Line

MM Phono

MC Phono

Back
Top Bottom