Best speaker options under $200 usd

suavedrum

Hey all - I've just upgraded my TT system and have arrived at the need serious speaker upgrade.

I purchased an SL 1200 mk2 TT yesterday and am loving the upgrade from the entry level TT I had previously ...

BUT ... now I'm thinking it exposes the poor sony budget home theater speakers that I currently have.

So looking for some good floor standing speakers in the $150-$200 price range .. They'll also be the speakers for the HT - so it'd be great if any recommendations can perform double duty.

They'll also need to be 'attractive' aesthetically to get my wife's vote. I'm sure it's some what of a tall order ...

I have a heard a few good things about the Andrew Jones Pioneer's would those be the best bet?

I live in Nashville and figured craigslist would be a good place to start ... but I have no clue what I'm looking for.

I also travel a good bit .. and will be in Detroit, Louisville, Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, and Denver in the next week.

I read a thread about Pioneer not honoring warranties anymore and there were questions about Pioneer staying in business...

not really...everyone said the project debut carbon was the greatest thing since sliced bread...i fell for that....and so on and so forth...

not really...everyone said the project debut carbon was the greatest thing since sliced bread...i fell for that....and so on and so forth...

That applies to everything in audio, and in life. We all hear differently. That is why there are thousands of different brands, with different sounds. A person HAS GOT TO AUDITION. Bottom line. As to the Pioneer warranty I think that same thread stated the rep was mistaken.

Pioneer_SP-PK52FS_35477425_13.jpg

Go for it!

im in kinda the same spot i am in need of a replacement. i am currently using the Paradigm Titan MK1 with a Bic America F-12. i cut the low ends off the titans and push it to the sub. i have grown an affection towards this set up but after 25+ years the titans have seen better days im looking for a replacement. preferably bookshelves that push great mids and highs... no need for low ends the 475 watt beast in the corner does that just fine

How many watts is OP working with?

And what kind of music will you be playing?

The tall order part is asking an attractive-looking $200 floorstander to sound good on both hi-fi and home theater AND keep your wife happy.(That's like workin' with mercury. It's high science. It's an art form).

I'm envisioning a USED speaker in your future.

Still need to know what kind of power you're working with here.

Last edited:
Big room, small room? Whatcha got? Ya really can't beat a pair of Advent 1's recapped in a smallish room.

Shout out to kwaaaaape!

If you're not married to the idea of a floorstander I'd pass on the SP-FS5's and get these instead. They have a very good low end response and will sound light years better than the Pioneers.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Trust me, I had the stock BS-22's and the one's fixed..err modified by Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio are superior in every way. These New AA Monitors should be even better than his modified Pioneers.

Good luck.

2020-marquee.png

With this budget and the need to satisfy both hi-fi AND home theater needs, the OP should really look into the Event 20/20. Originally created in 1995 as a recording monitor for people who were tired of the typical sterile, lifeless recording monitor sound, the original Event 20/20 revolutionized the recording industry. Then Event upped the ante with the 20/20BAS, an active version of the original 20/20 (Active as in, it has it's own amplifier).

The 20/20 has a rich, vibrant, ultra-balanced, very-musical sound with deep, dynamic bass. Frequency response is a VERY-respectable 35hz-20khz (and this is at a VERY-balanced +/-2dB), so no worries about these without a sub. They don't need one. They have a hard-hitting 7.1" woofer and a silk-dome tweeter.

A used pair of the Event 20/20 passive version can be found within your budget, and if you look hard, you might even find a pair of the awesome 20/20BAS active (powered) version for a price you can handle. Their rich, vibrant musicality makes them an excellent hi-fi speaker, and their deep, extended, very-balanced performance makes them an excellent candidate for home theater use.

If you're not married to the idea of a floorstander I'd pass on the SP-FS5's and get these instead. They have a very good low end response and will sound light years better than the Pioneers.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Trust me, I had the stock BS-22's and the one's fixed..err modified by Dennis Murphy of Philharmonic Audio are superior in every way. These New AA Monitors should be even better than his modified Pioneers.

Good luck.

Vintagear, you beat me to it. VERY interested in those myself.

Back
Top Bottom