New to Fisher

cjmustang69

Thanks to fellow AKer "FoolForARadio", I've become the proud owner of several Fisher tube pieces. I have wanted to try vintage Fisher Tube amps or receivers for some time - but didn't want to have to worry about having them rebuilt as I don't have the technical ability to do it myself. Fortunately for me, FoolForARadio decided to sell his already refurbished X 100 integrated amp and FM-50-B tuner - and is relatively local to me (about 180 mile round trip). I picked the amp and tuner up today and have hooked them up to a pair of Quads. I believe they are going to be a nice match. Both pieces are in very nice condition - first items I need are the "jewel" lens for amp and I plan to add cabinets to both pieces. Any suggestions for where to purchase the "jewel" lens and nice quality cabinets would be welcomed.

Attachments

• DSCN1792.jpg
    DSCN1792.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 80
CJ -- Welcome to the Fisher Forum! There are a bunch of guys here who can direct you to virtually all of the things you might need to maintain, upgrade, or just enjoy the heck out of your equipment. No doubt they'll chime in on where the best place is to get the jewels, knob brights, cleaning methods, etc. You'll also find plenty of Fisher history here as well, so if it's Fisher, it's here! Check out the stickies at the top of the page to answer many of the questions you might have.

Good luck with your Fisher gear!

Dave

Nice gear and welcome. You can find the jewels from BudnGreg on Ebay, in Fisher receivers. (No affiliation)

Thank you for the welcome. I have spent some time for the past few days searching this forum for information about my preamp and tuner. It is clear there is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience here. I actually found posts referencing jewel lenses from Mouser. I just ordered several for my amp. I searched Ebay and couldn't locate them.

CJ Welcome,

the Fisher FM50 is an underated receiver, I have one too and like it very much!

please post pictures when you get the jewels you ordered...i am curious to see how they look, i too am in need of a couple sets..

CJ Welcome,

the Fisher FM50 is an underated receiver, I have one too and like it very much!

please post pictures when you get the jewels you ordered...i am curious to see how they look, i too am in need of a couple sets..

I certainly will do so. I hope to have them some time next week.

Hello and welcome! For quality cabinets go to McIntoshCabinets.com at the bottom of the page (no affiliation). I got a cabinet made for my 800B and they did a really great job.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! For quality cabinets go to McIntoshCabinets.com at the bottom of the page (no affiliation). I got a cabinet made for my 800B and they did a really great job.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have seen their webpage and their cabinets look very nice. Seem to be a little more expensive than others I've seen listed on Ebay. If they are a nice cabinet, I don't mind paying more for it.

I spoke with Dan, from McIntosh Cabinets, yesterday and ordered 2 cabinets from him. I've read nothing but good comments about their quality. I should have them in about 30 days. I'm really looking forward to receiving them.

I spoke with Dan, from McIntosh Cabinets, yesterday and ordered 2 cabinets from him. I've read nothing but good comments about their quality. I should have them in about 30 days. I'm really looking forward to receiving them.

You really won't be sorry. They really do beautiful work.

CJ -- In your pic, your X-100 appears to have had its power transformer replaced (not uncommon), with a unit that is vertically much higher. Will your X still fit into a cabinet with that transformer?

Dave

CJ -- In your pic, your X-100 appears to have had its power transformer replaced (not uncommon), with a unit that is vertically much higher. Will your X still fit into a cabinet with that transformer?

Dave

Thanks for pointing this out Dave. I had no idea the transformer isn't stock. I'll measure height tonight and then speak with Dan. Thanks again

Enjoy the Fishers.

Thank you. I've only had them a few days, but have listened to them each evening after work (and am doing so now) and can say I'm really happy with their performance. The X-100 amp seems to drive the Quad speakers nicely. I have a few other speakers I'm anxious to try with it also.

Dave

You were absolutely correct regarding height of power transformer. It is much higher than faceplate (see attached photos) and would have been an issue with cabinet. At this point, pursuing a cabinet is on hold. Thanks again for helping avoid a major disappointment when I would have found my new cabinet wouldn't fit my amp!!

Attachments

• DSCN1799.jpg
    DSCN1799.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1800.jpg
    DSCN1800.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 18
CJ -- The down side is, it won't fit into a cabinet as is. The up side is that the replacement transformer is likely far superior to the original one in terms of durability at the very least. Any chance that sucker could be remounted on its side somehow to lower its height?

Dave

CJ -- The down side is, it won't fit into a cabinet as is. The up side is that the replacement transformer is likely far superior to the original one in terms of durability at the very least. Any chance that sucker could be remounted on its side somehow to lower its height?

Dave

I was wondering if the replacement transformer may be better than original, given it is larger. As far as remounting, I'm not the most "handy" person, so will leave as is. I've begun cleaning the chassis of tuner and amp - they seem to be cleaning up well. Likely will skip buying cabinet for these at this time. May start looking for a nice condition Fisher or Scott integrated amp which has cabinet as my next purchase.

Attachments

• DSCN1802.jpg
    DSCN1802.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 17
CJ -- You might go ahead with the cabinet and either:

1. Be on look out for an original transformer, or

2. Get a physically more appropriate transformer, or

3. Try to remount the current transformer more appropriately, or

4. Consider detaching the transformer and connect it by an umbilical cord to the amp. This last option could work very well if your amp has a SS power supply, as then likely only four leads would have to connect into the amplifier. The primary winding of the transformer could simply plug into one of the switched auxiliary power sockets, which would then even let the power switch still work with this option. Just a thought.

Dave

Dave; X-100 is rectified with a GZ34/5AR4. So option 4 may not be an ideal solution.
Transformer (T781-115) I've gone thru everything from 1958 thru 1964 in amp's, console's, and receivers and it looks like the x-100's Transformer is exclusive as far as part number. The X-101 (T-663-115) is also Tube Rectified with a GZ34 and the secondaries are pretty close it looks like. Also the X-202 (T740-115) may also work.
The secondaries would have to be vetted for loads tho.

CJ -- You might go ahead with the cabinet and either:

1. Be on look out for an original transformer, or

2. Get a physically more appropriate transformer, or

3. Try to remount the current transformer more appropriately, or

4. Consider detaching the transformer and connect it by an umbilical cord to the amp. This last option could work very well if your amp has a SS power supply, as then likely only four leads would have to connect into the amplifier. The primary winding of the transformer could simply plug into one of the switched auxiliary power sockets, which would then even let the power switch still work with this option. Just a thought

Dave

Thanks for suggestions regarding the power transformer. But I plan to leave this amp as is. It cleaned up nicely and I'm actually becoming quite satisified with how it looks without cabinet. I've been listening to it more today and the more I listen to it, the more impressed I am with its performance. I hope to hook a turntable up tomorrow and hear how it performs.

Back
Top Bottom