New to Fisher tubes

RS Steve

Tube Junkie
Subscriber
Having been a vintage stereo fanatic for some time, I always wondered why there was such a hubbub about Fisher tube gear. All I remember about tube stuff is my father taking tubes down to the local store to test them when the TV was acting up.

Saying that, leads me to where I am today. I had the pleasure of getting a great deal on a Stromberg Carlson tube amp from a fellow AKer, and got my feet wet with tubes. I was a little worried everytime I fired it up simply because I was not used to the heat generated, but the sound was simply amazing. I had a person over to purchase a Marantz receiver a few months ago, and he saw the S.C. tube amp. He asked about it so I fired it up and gave him a listen, it was hooked to a pair of Klipsch Heresey speakers. He would not leave without that amp after hearing it, so I sold it to him for a nice chunk of $.

This left me with a void, I had nothing solid state that could match the warm tube sound I was used to. Along comes Barter Town and me posting an ad wanting a tube amp. I ended up getting a very nice Fisher X-101-C from Sony6060 (Jim). Wow, what a nice piece of fisher audio history this thing is! I liked it so much I followed it with a purchase of a TA-600 reciever, it's getting super charged by Jim also. I will complete the 600 with a mahogony wood case, it should be a great crown jewel to my collection.

Although I'm a tube newbie, I am looking forward to learning more about them. I enjoy seeing these components brought back to their glory, and I'm constantly blown away by their sound. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 46
Welcome to the club! That's a couple of nice pieces you have, and Sony will have them in top notch form for you in no time.

Fisher is a unique combination of quality, style, performance, and class. Other good manufacturers had their elements of these, as well. But within their market segment, Fisher was one of the few manufacturers who put them all together in such a way that not only impressed at the time, but continues to impress today, and endure.

Congrats on getting your new Fishers!

Dave

Welcome to the club! That's a couple of nice pieces you have, and Sony will have them in top notch form for you in no time.

Fisher is a unique combination of quality, style, performance, and class. Other good manufacturers had their elements of these, as well. But within their market segment, Fisher was one of the few manufacturers who put them all together in such a way that not only impressed at the time, but continues to impress today, and endure.

Congrats on getting your new Fishers!

Dave

Thanks Dave, looking forward to enjoying the new found tube sound, and matching them with the best speaker combination. So far I like my AR-11's best with the X-101-C, but they are very power hungry.

I bet your Fortes will sound great with the X-1010-C. I have mine(also restored by Sony) matched with my Cornwalls and man what a combo! All my tube gear sounds great with the Cornies, but my Fisher stuff seems to have a special synergy that just doesn't quit. I used to own Fortes and ran them with a Fisher 500C, then I traded both of them to get the Cornies and have not looked back.

Oh, and welcome to Club Fisher!

Welcome to the Fisher Forum. I think you'll love that TA-600. Get yourself a Multiplexer so you can compare the FM in MONO and Multiplex STEREO. You'll like the way it sounds both ways. I've got mine in a console but who knows I may end up (if I lose my mind....wife says I never had it) with it standalone with different speakers.

i'm waiting to see what Sony6060 does to your's so I might do mine that way. It's a great sounding receiver and in some ways better than my 800-C's. But that's me. Not everyone will agree with it.

Have fun with them.

Larry

Welcome to the Fisher Forum. I think you'll love that TA-600. Get yourself a Multiplexer so you can compare the FM in MONO and Multiplex STEREO. You'll like the way it sounds both ways. I've got mine in a console but who knows I may end up (if I lose my mind....wife says I never had it) with it standalone with different speakers.

i'm waiting to see what Sony6060 does to your's so I might do mine that way. It's a great sounding receiver and in some ways better than my 800-C's. But that's me. Not everyone will agree with it.

Have fun with them.

Larry

I'm not much into listening to the radio these days, simply because they play the same songs all the time. I'm sure this 600 will do everything I want it to though.

Fishers are something special and you won't be disappointed. One of the best parts of owning a Fisher is being part of this forum. The knowledge, experience and help you'll find here is priceless!

WELCOME!

I'm going to differ: Fisher stuff is damaging to one's health and welfare. For real!

I literally found my first Fisher in the garbage, restored it, and have been fiddling with it ever since. Not only that, I wasn't satisfied with the "hit" so I got myself another 800-c and fixed that up. It now travels between the attic and my son's room depending on the occasion. All 40+ pounds of it. Up and down. Up and down. I thought that was it BUT, because of this Fisher 'thing" I picked up a 500-c. Not that I needed it, or probably even wanted it, but I had to have it. I am currently pulling my hair getting it up to to snuff. As sick as it is now, when it is running correctly, I have to say "Damn!!' And that's through a crappy set of test speakers and $1.50 pair of 99 cent store speaker wire.

So what am I saying: Be afraid. Be very afraid. It's worse than crack!

:D

Welcome to AK. A wealth of knowledge in here (not from me), I have learned a ton thanks to these guys, am a newbie as well but learn something in here every single day. I have two Fishers, trying hard not to get another but its hard to resist!

To think over the years I have had a few consoles offered to me with Fisher amps, and I laughed and said put it to the curb. :sigh: I think the Fisher Gods are not as mad at me since I'm helping bring a few back to life. :thmbsp:

Welcome to the Fisher club - really nice guys with probably the best Fisher knowledge to found on the planet. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom