McIntosh D150

Heck yeah, now maybe some of you D100 owners will be turning those loose for 30 cents on the dollar to get D150s so guys like me can own one!

Heck yeah, now maybe some of you D100 owners will be turning those loose for 30 cents on the dollar to get D150s so guys like me can own one!
Not yet ;) The new features are nice (but I won't use them) and the internal DAC is the same as the D100 :thmbsp:

The McIntosh D100 uses the 42 pin ESS Ultra 32 DAC (ES9016S). It is a superb DAC by all accounts.

Begs the question about the DAC in the C2500, C48, and the C50, which is a 32Bit/192kHz Burr-Brown DAC manufactured by Texas Instruments, although I am not positive. Will we get a upgrade to our "Digital Engine" via dealer installed firmware?

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for a good multi-channel DAC....from any company! The only one I'm aware of is from ExaSound at almost $4k. Don't understand why there are tons of two channel DACs and no multi-channel Dacs. Many high resolution SACD's and DVD-A's are multichannel.

I LOVE multichannel music. My Oppo can handle it, but it can't do it via the USB input. And it can't handle DSD unless it's directly fed off the network (DLNA/Upnp).

SACD/DVD-A are basically in their twilight. Streaming is where it's at. Your Oppo via the HDMI input can decode multi channel music contained in all the big movie/concert streaming companies.

Here is one. http://qello.com/

SACD/DVD-A are basically in their twilight. Streaming is where it's at. Your Oppo via the HDMI input can decode multi channel music contained in all the big movie/concert streaming companies.

Here is one. http://qello.com/

I currently have my computer connected to my Oppo via HDMI. Although it can handle multi-channel PCM files, it can't do DSD (it also can't decode DTS-MA or Dolby TruHD). Foobar has to convert DSD to PCM before sending it to the Oppo. Unfortunately, Oppo's USB input is only 2 channel.

Personally, I don't like HDMI. Too many issues and it's slow. Handshakes aren't always fast and sometimes require reboot. Jitter is more prevalent with HDMI than a good asynchronous USB connection.

Getting back to McIntosh, I wish they would make a multi-channel DAC. Even if you don't believe in SACD/DVD-A, there are download services which provide multi-channel files, such as AIX records.

I'm still waiting for a good multi-channel DAC....from any company! The only one I'm aware of is from ExaSound at almost $4k. Don't understand why there are tons of two channel DACs and no multi-channel Dacs. Many high resolution SACD's and DVD-A's are multichannel.

I LOVE multichannel music. My Oppo can handle it, but it can't do it via the USB input. And it can't handle DSD unless it's directly fed off the network (DLNA/Upnp).

What's wrong with the multi-channel DAC built into the Oppo? It's awfully highly regarded. I'd wager the reason multi-channel DACs are rare is because the best multi-channel players all have them built in with 5/7.1 analog outs.

If your issue is being unable to play them from a PC, I'd wager that's just too small a niche to market around without charging $4K and probably basically building them to order.

What's wrong with the multi-channel DAC built into the Oppo? It's awfully highly regarded. I'd wager the reason multi-channel DACs are rare is because the best multi-channel players all have them built in with 5/7.1 analog outs.

I love the DAC in the Oppo! But I would prefer a stand-alone DAC because:

1. I have no use for an optical player. All of my music and video's (including Blu-Rays) are ripped to a computer (which I call my media center).

2. Have to use HDMI input - but I much prefer USB.

3. Oppo 105 can't play native DSD through HDMI or USB.

The Oppo is technically a Blu-Ray player with a very good DAC. The digital inputs make it multi-capable. The Exasound DAC is only a DAC (small and slim). It has an asynchronous USB input capable of playing multichannel files as well as DSD. It's kinda like a D100 & D150, except it's capable of multi-channel files and has multi-channel analog outputs.

If your issue is being unable to play them from a PC, I'd wager that's just too small a niche to market around without charging $4K and probably basically building them to order.

And how do most people use the McIntosh D100 & D150??? I'm thinking most people have it connected to a computer or media server.

At the last Newport Beach high-end audio show, many manufacturers (including McIntosh if I recall correctly) were using a computer as their source. The business of high-resolution downloads is also rapidly growing (e.g. HDTracks.com). Also, the number of companies making 2-channel DACs is growing very fast.

The convenience of having all of my music and videos on a computer is fantastic!

I'm wondering how this D150 + MCT450 combo is going to compare to the MCD550 and MCD1100. Notice the numbering on the MCT450. Not quite 550 if you know what I mean.

I'm in the market for an MCD500, but I think the prices people are asking for are too much. I'm going to wait a few months now and wait for the reviews of the D150 + MCT450 combo.

I love the DAC in the Oppo! But I would prefer a stand-alone DAC because:

1. I have no use for an optical player. All of my music and video's (including Blu-Rays) are ripped to a computer (which I call my media center).

2. Have to use HDMI input - but I much prefer USB.

3. Oppo 105 can't play native DSD through HDMI or USB.

The Oppo is technically a Blu-Ray player with a very good DAC. The digital inputs make it multi-capable. The Exasound DAC is only a DAC (small and slim). It has an asynchronous USB input capable of playing multichannel files as well as DSD. It's kinda like a D100 & D150, except it's capable of multi-channel files and has multi-channel analog outputs.

And how do most people use the McIntosh D100 & D150??? I'm thinking most people have it connected to a computer or media server.

At the last Newport Beach high-end audio show, many manufacturers (including McIntosh if I recall correctly) were using a computer as their source. The business of high-resolution downloads is also rapidly growing (e.g. HDTracks.com). Also, the number of companies making 2-channel DACs is growing very fast.

The convenience of having all of my music and videos on a computer is fantastic!

Maybe your best bet would be to sell your 105 and get the 105D, which does play DSD via USB.

As for playing audio files from the computer, I was specifically referring to multi-channel DSD files as the small niche, not playing digital files from a computer itself.

Comparing the DAC chipsets in a transport 2 or 3 generations old probably isn't a relevant comparison.

However, the MCD1100 does use a ESS Sabre chipset and that model was, I believe, the first McIntosh unit to sport that brand. I'd have to pull the cover off an MCD500 to be sure of that.

Last edited:
Comparing the DAC chipsets in a transport 2 or 3 generations old probably isn't a relevant comparison.

However, the MCD1100 does use a ESS Sabre chipset and that model was, I believe, the first McIntosh unit to sport that brand. I'd have to pull the cover off an MCD500 to be sure of that.
According to an earlier thread:

D100 (and D150) use the 42 pin ESS Ultra 32 DAC (ES9016S)
MCD301 uses the BB DSD 1792
MCD500 uses the ESS9008
MCD550 and MCD1100 use the ESS9018

I'm presuming (maybe incorrectly) that the higher model numbers on the ESS DAC's represent newer versions.

I'm glad the D150 and MCT450 have come out. It gives me more time to save some cash whilst reading reviews and making a decision on a MCD550 (I've now ruled out a MCD500 as I want a USB input) or a D150 + MCT450 combo. Leaning towards the latter at the moment as I like the thought of swapping out the DAC again at a later date. Who knows what technology we'll have by then?

I'm actually considering that ExaSound DAC:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/539-exasound-e28-multichannel-usb-dac-review/

It contains the same DAC as found inside the MCD550 and MCD1100, but of course is multi-channel.

I've been doing a lot of research lately into hirez computer music. I've considered the earlier PS3's to do the ripping of my SACD's, and might well end up going that route, but for the time being I've found someone locally who has one of these PS3's and will rip my SACD's for me.

I've pretty much ruled out getting a MCD550. I'll be using my computer as the transport and will purchase a D150 or a ExaSound. Maybe I'll end up getting both. The D150 for my 2-channel listening room and the ExaSound for the room where I can do 5.1-channel listening.

Wow. Looks like I sold my D100 at just the right time as I didn't even know the D150 had come out. Sold it for 2225.00, too.

Of all the new things, that little MB50 has me the most intrigued.

Back
Top Bottom