SoCal Meet???

Hey Eric, sounds like a great idea. Question is where and when? That usually gets the ball rolling. Would suggest a large venue if possible so folks could set up various systems and do a bit of demo stuff.

Course, some nice get togethers at various homes would also be a great way to meet folks and have some fun too.

Ooph, the thought of having open invitation to our homes will have to be thought out.

Its just a thought for those who feel comfortable and that it could work. I know that security, having strangers (even Ak'ers) or their friends could be an issue so its only a comment.

Getting a suitable venue in a good location is usually the prime problem. Getting one with halfway decent acoustics, room, access, power, accessories (tables, chairs, etc.) is difficult.

But we should keep bumping this thread so that more SoCal folks see it and hopefully can chime in or be participants. Our one and only meet held a number of years ago (gads!) only had about 12-15 folks show up, so we should be able to do a lot better than that now!

Ooph, the thought of having open invitation to our homes will have to be thought out.

Its just a thought for those who feel comfortable and that it could work. I know that security, having strangers (even Ak'ers) or their friends could be an issue so its only a comment.

Getting a suitable venue in a good location is usually the prime problem. Getting one with halfway decent acoustics, room, access, power, accessories (tables, chairs, etc.) is difficult.

But we should keep bumping this thread so that more SoCal folks see it and hopefully can chime in or be participants. Our one and only meet held a number of years ago (gads!) only had about 12-15 folks show up, so we should be able to do a lot better than that now!

That was a good meet nonetheless.

The SMAC group has been holding monthly meetings in members' homes for years now and the only incident I am aware of is when one member went home wearing the wrong shoes to the detriment of the customized shoes' owners feet....

:D

Bally, what's SMAC?

I'm in NorCal, but have family in SoCal. If a meet ever happened when I was down there visiting family, I'd definitely join.

Bally, what's SMAC?

I'm in NorCal, but have family in SoCal. If a meet ever happened when I was down there visiting family, I'd definitely join.

Sorry Southeast Michigan Audio Club

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=129403

A pretty active group of audio buffs who have managed to hold monthly meetings at members's homes for quite a while.

I do not know if all the members are AK members, but I think most are.

mech986 is too modest, he set up the venue the last time and it was lots of fun. I thought 12-15 attendees was weak turnout for the amount of time and effort that went into the setup. I suppose it is the nature of the hobby.

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. Straining my brain over a good venue. Our last meet was great and Bart & LB Pete put a whole bunch of work into it. Individual rooms big enough for 1 or 2 systems each would be ideal. Motel or class rooms come to mind. A strip mall about to be demo'd etc, that kind of thing. To get that sort of venue admission would have to be charged and we'd need contacts to land it. My office, in Buena Park, will be vacated come May. It would be perfect, lots of small offices around the perimeter. My company is way too 'corporate' to even ask. I might speak with the property manager, he's a nice guy and likes my nephew who used to work for him.

Lets have interested folks PM me on the following points (cut and paste) and I'll start collecting the info.

I would attend an event in Central Orange Co. or Long Beach
Preferred location -
I would be willing to pay admission of $
I want to help put on the event
What I can bring to support the event
I am your fairy Godparent and I have this covered for you

I want to display -
I want to demo gear -
I want to sell

I'm not opposed to an in-home gathering either, but my main system as Bob knows, is in a room only big enough for 2, 3 in a pinch.

Last edited:
...Lets have interested folks PM me on the following points (cut and paste) and I'll start collecting the info.

I would attend an event in Central Orange Co. or Long Beach
Preferred location -
I would be willing to pay admission of $
I want to help put on the event
What I can bring to support the event
I am your fairy Godparent and I have this covered for you

I want to display -
I want to demo gear -
I want to sell...

All except for the fairy Godparent bit. I am not a miracle worker.:D

Back
Top Bottom