Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

Schweeet !

I been waitin' all day for you to post the pics and info.
Nice score !
There is a lady in Clinton Township with some EV stuff.
One of the SP12's is no good,but she has wolverine tweets,mids and XO's

HEY PERCHDOG! Quit scarfing up all the GOOD Stuff.

Seriously. GREAT SCORE! And with accesories too. Plus the R2R. It looks a lot like my Custom Electra VIII. Or my Electra looks a lot like it.

Larry

Awsome find. I have a accousticraft with 800c and ev 15trx waiting a restore. What brand is the R2R?

Awsome find. I have a accousticraft with 800c and ev 15trx waiting a restore. What brand is the R2R?

Hi,

The R2R is a Ampex 1250 I believe...

I have a pair of Accousticraft speakers with a later univerisity 312 load in them. I would b real interested in seeing some pics of thaty console. They sure did manufacture some quality cabinets...

3 Years of Fisher Consoles

It has been almost 3 years since I found my first Fisher console, breathed in my first lung-full of cadmium oxide-laced chassis dust and contracted a severe case of the console disease. It’s a chronic condition that has literally changed my life. There being no effective cure as far as I know; all you can really do is treat the symptoms: spend all your disposable income on your wife/girlfriend/SO before it adds up to console money; have a computer-savvy toddler set the parental controls on your computer to block CL; sell whatever van, SUV or other console-wagon you use to get your fix (that’s what I did recently) - OR you could go the extreme route and build, buy or rent enough square footage to accommodate your habit. That, sadly, is bound to be no more than a temporary cure.

Perhaps the most effective therapy I’ve found so far is by experiencing the excitement of others' Fisher console finds vicariously through the posts here at AK. To that end, and for the sake of all of the afflicted, I’ve compiled a retrospective index of the Fisher consoles that have surfaced over the last 3 years with links back to the original post. This can also serve as a roster of AK members who are most likely already afflicted and who should be PM’d if you note a Fisher console in their neck of the woods. Don’t expose yourself needlessly if you feel you are at risk of contracting this terrible malady. Let someone for whom it is already too late properly dispose of these especially hazardous Fisher consoles.

If you're not on this list but feel you should be, I encourage you to step out of the shadows and be recognized. Share your story and post some photos of your Fisher console(s). You’ll feel better and, at the same time, be doing a service for your Fisher-striken fellows. If you’re on this list and have somehow broken free . . . I don’t think I really want know anything about that as it would tend to contradict my rather delusional world view. If, on the other hand, you are on this list and would like to update your story; that would be delightful.

I have noticed, in many of the older posts, that the links to the photos are no longer functioning and I worry that something bad may have happened. It would ease my mind if these could be fixed. There are also a few cases of people joining AK, posting a few times about their Fisher console and then dropping off the face of the earth. It is my sincere wish that those folks are OK and, perhaps, at this very moment, enjoying their now fully-restored Fisher consoles. If they subsequently sold that console using the information posted herein, I fear the delayed onset strain of the disease can be especially vicious.

Unrepresented below are the saddest cases: AK members who have inherited Fisher consoles through their families. They are truly blameless; having grown up with the high fidelity and never knowing any other mode of existence. Off the top of my head I can only think of only one such case: Duffinator and his beautiful 1955 Custom Electra II. Are there others?

If I have missed any AK Fisher consoles please let me know as every last one helps.

------------------------------------------------------

5-16-07: 1960 Premiere - TheRed1

6-25-07: 1957 Medalist II - vendo81

6-27-07: 1957 Series 60 - elduce

11-01-07: 1966 Custom Electra - TheRed1

11-09-07: 1960 Custom Electra III - TheRed1

2-06-08: 1964 Ambassador VI - skibjr

2-16-08: 1962 Ambassador IV - pich

7-31-08: 1961 Statesman II - mcsteam22

8-28-08: 1963 Custom Electra VI -relaximus

9-11-08: 1962 Custom Electra V - skykng

9-22-08: 1963 Regent - schwarcw’s friend

10-19-08:: 1964 Allegro/1965 Allegro II - analog addict

10-19-08: 1964 Allegro/1965 Allegro II - barrynsue

11-13-08: 1959 Series 510 - TheRed1

11-22-08: 1964 Custom Electra VII - auxtech66

11-22-08: 1961 Executive VI - Jimmy64>Joe11611>perchdog (see below)

11-24-08: 1964 Executive IX - scootchu

11-26-08: 1964 Diplomat II - cbrann

12-04-08: 1962 Futura III - jean lafite

12-6-08: 1966 Allegro A-190 - mpholland

12-13-08: 1959 Series 510 + 560 ‘Stereo Companion’ - Jcricket

1-02-09: 1958 Custom Electra II (Normandy) - jonboy55

1-03-09: 1961 Custom Electra IV - p.dow

5-11-09: 1960 Custom Electra III - tlgibbs

6-09-09: 1965 Warwick (Futura V?) - mgzny

7-11-09: 1963 Ambassador V - grinder029

7-13-09: 1962 Philharmonic II - k7cid@me.com

7-30-09: 1966 Custom Electra - the fish

8-10-09: 1965 Custom Electra VIII - larryderouin

8-16-09: 1966 Philharmonic - nerdorama

8-31-09: 1965 Futura VI - larryderouin

9-01-09: 1964 Philharmonic IV - Saint Johnny

9-12-09: 1960 Custom Electra III - deadbeat son

9-28-09: 1959 Series 610 + 560 ‘Stereo Companion’ - visman

10-30-09: 1958 Custom Electra II - jonboy55

11-07-09: 1961 Custom Electra IV - WarrGo

11-24-09: 1961 Executive VI - perchdog

12-02-09: 1958 Series 61 - jonboy55

12-04-09: 1964 Allegro - rcflybob

3-03-10: 1963 Custom Electra VI - that70sguy

3-15-10: 1960 Custom Electra III - ziphius

3-20-10: 1956 Custom Futura - relaximus via sobr1

3-27-10: 1964 Futura V - achilles_bog

4-01-10: 1964 Custom Electra VII - RuSsMaN

4-02-10: 1950 Coronet/Allegro - cooljjay

4-11-10: 1966 Philharmonic - vinyldavid

4-24-10: 1964 Executive IX -perchdog

Last edited:
Red - excellent compilation!

I am still working on the restoration of my Series 610 and 560 Stereo Companion.

With the unbelievable help of many AK'ers (providing schematics, ubber rare bulbs, Capacitor kits and even Red hand drawing the tuner stringing) I have now restored both the 610-ST chassis and the 30-A Chassis. Both sound amazing (though I have not matched them back together yet with the Jensens - something to look forward to:D).

Some shots attached.

I am ready to start on the Garrard RC 120 Mark II turntable this weekend and get the cabinets cleaned up with some elbow grease and Howards restore-a-finish.

After that it all gets put back together in it's console splendor :banana:

But no question I owe a great debt of gratitude to all the AK'ers that helped!

Attachments

• 30-A 1.jpg
    30-A 1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 30-A 2.jpg
    30-A 2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 610-ST 1.jpg
    610-ST 1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 610-ST 2.jpg
    610-ST 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 610-ST 3.jpg
    610-ST 3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 45
RED: Great compilation. Short of two '66 philharmonics I've got the youngest sets. One slight OOOPPSSS on the list that I found. "6-09-09: 1965 Warwick (Futura V?) - mgzny" Change the Futura V? to C.E. VIII) Futura had the 59A/T combo for '65. and the C.E. had the 49A/T.

NOTE TO ALL: If you need a copy of the 49A/T and or 59A/T manuals PM me. The only difference between the two amps I see is the # of transistors. The tuners are totally different.

Larry

Hi Red,

I have to say that you have done a wonderful job of compiling the info for the Fisher consoles and the links for who has what type. This kind of information is truly invaluable in helping us to know exactly what kind of Fisher we have. I would like to add my name to list of what I consider fortunate people who have grown up with a Fisher console, although I agree that it is a very powerful affliction, and nothing else you hear will ever measure up, unless its another Fisher of course. I would like to add this link to the restoration thread I did on my Allegro, which I could not have done without the wonderful help from the folks here at AK. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=270435
In addition I would like to update the status of my Fisher, I recently replaced the non polarized electrolytic caps in the speakers, they were the original Callins 4microfarad at 50v caps. I have been listening to it every day now for at least a couple of hours. It probably has roughly 200 hours on it since the recapp and it just keeps sounding better and better.
As I'm writing this I am listening to some fantastic Pete Fountain clarinet jazz spinning on the turntable that has a nos ceramic cartridge and nos stylus. Really brings back the childhood memories, on the lookout now for my next console, maybe an Executive or the ever elusive President model.

Visman, it's great to hear the progress you've made on your 610/560 combo. I'm looking forward to photos showing how they'll look with your existing furniture.

Your Fishers are pretty close to what I've decided would be the ultimate console for my living room: The '59 Contemporary II with matching Stereo Companion. I started with the concept depicted in the Stereo Companion page of the '59 catalog. Then I overlaid a grid scaled to the known dimensions of the 510/610 to approximate the size of the record cabinet which would seem to be a fairly straightforward carpentry project to build. (The grid also revealed that the 560's width is somewhat exaggerated in this rendering.)

59StereoCompanion560CatalogA.jpg

Next I reversed the image to match my living room, removed the table and replaced the 510/610 with the Contemporary II. Then I went completely nuts and overlaid a scale grid over a scan of a floor plan of my living room. I created a dozen or so separate additional scale overlays for all existing and contemplated pieces of furniture so I could re-arrange them at will. This is all in the way of a proposal I can set before my wife should I ever come across a Contemporary II with a matching Stereo Companion. I like to be prepared.

Proposed view from the big chair:
ME-3.jpg

Existing arrangement:
LIVINGROOMGRID2.jpg

Proposed 2nd console in living room:
LIVINGROOMGRID4.jpg

One slight OOOPPSSS on the list that I found. "6-09-09: 1965 Warwick (Futura V?) - mgzny" Change the Futura V? to C.E. VIII) Futura had the 59A/T combo for '65. and the C.E. had the 49A/T.
Larry, I put Futura V? because of the ad below. You are correct to point out that the chassis were shared with the C.E. VIII. I think that is discussed in the original post but I'm glad you mentioned it because I don't think I've ever posted this ad. I wish mgzny would have posted a picture of his Warwick to confirm that Fisher recycled the '64 Futura cabinet with '65 Custom Electra level electronics installed. Note the original price quoted in the ad is the price of a '64 Futura V.

65WarwickSept65.jpg

Rcflybob, thanks for adding the link to your restoration thread. I'm very glad to hear you've put the Allegro back into condition for everyday use. Sounds like you've got it pretty bad if you're having Presidential/ Executive dreams. I used to think the ultimate Fisher for me would have been the 1958 President II but a more realistic assessment of the square footage available has led me to the Contemporary II. The President would technically fit where the Premiere is but I think it would be a just a bit out of scale for a townhouse like mine. It really needs a big room with a pretty long wall of its own.

Red, that was one of the greatest postings ever! A sales pitch (to your wife) for the eventual arrival of your '59 Contemporary II with matching Stereo Companion! I had to show my wife and she was truly impressed (we both feel you will succeed in obtaining approval):yes:. That combo (with the record case) would be amazing (i'm a little jealous just thinking about it.:D

I am toying with the idea of placing my system on both sides of my living room fireplace - as in your case this will require some moving of furniture (and convincing of wife).:D

Red -

Thank you for posting that excellent post. I was surprised to see my user name mentioned 3 times. Two were for Custom Electra II's and one for a Series 61.

I've just started to get into web design because of changes at my work place and have been thinking about a simple web site that I can practice designing. Maybe a site devoted to Fisher Consoles?

I'm fortunate to have obtained an excellent program for designing web sites called Dreamweaver.

Humm....I'll give this some thought.

Jon

PS - I'm still looking for a schematic for the Series 61.

TheRed1,
I've been guilty of being an enabler of consolitis. I've sent you, I believe, two owners manuals for Fisher consoles.
I've seen a few, but haven't found any I'd consider a keeper yet. That day will come but hasn't yet.

hi Red1

I just got a fisher look alike the TA600 but it's stamped Premier instead of "the 600". Wondering if it's took from the Premier Console or not?

Petch, Bangkok Thailand

Attachments

• f600-3.jpg
    f600-3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 42
  • f600-2.jpg
    f600-2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 40
  • f600-1.jpg
    f600-1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi Petch. Congratulations on your Fisher TA-600. Yes, it was originally from a 1960 Fisher Premiere console like mine. I see you found the date stamped on the back of the face plate. Mine is from June, 1959. I forget the exact date but I have it written down somewhere. Did you find yours in Thailand?

There should be at least one other Fisher in Thailand. In 1950 the President of the United States, Harry Truman, gave the King of Thailand a Fisher console as a wedding present.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2706411#post2706411

My best friend is married to a woman from Phitsanulok. He was in Thailand last month and said it was very, very hot. I had asked him to see if he could find out if the King still had the console. He said that security at the palace is very, very tight. No visitors.

Do you have any connections to the King? Is it possible to write or email him a question?

Hi Red

Thanks for valuable info. now i clearly realise that i just got a very first age fisher's stereo receiver :). I’ve never seen this item here in Thailand before (i means the one stamped Premier instead of the 600), so many of 500c, and i found just 2 items of TA-600 when i did google.

i read the very interesting article "the million dollar avocation", wondering what the date of it. Our King's marriage occurred in 1950, i heard the Fisher's console was start from mid50s(???), also the illustration look similar to TA600 which began the production line in 1959.(???)

i am new for the vintage world, this is my first fisher's amp.

My vintage's story begins last 2 years on the day when my friend asked me to go to see her mom, she wanted my help to get rid of the old audio stuff of her husband (he passed away 2-3 years ago). i got my first vintage : Marantz 4400 on that day.

one year later, i found a very nice tube amp : Sansui AU-111 when i brought my 4400 to clean up and wanna get it checked because one small light didn't work properly. the shop's owner just got the au-111, he was running for the test when i was there. i fell in love with the sweet tube sound then. i so bought it and took it home.

Just last week, i saw the TA600 in mint condition was selling on net, i did call the seller suddenly and told him that i wanted to go to see this item. at first i thought it's 500c but i found that it's early. The seller said it came from The US(110V). i dont familiar so much about the Fisher but i love the sound and the price was reasonable, i so took it home.

Ta-600

Attachments

• f600-7.jpg
    f600-7.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 61
  • f600-8.jpg
    f600-8.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
  • f600-9.jpg
    f600-9.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 38
  • f600-10.jpg