Are these cartridges/stylus worth anything?

Not sure if the OP got the message from a couple posters, most of these cartridges, except for maybe AT140, even if they were a good match for your tonearm which they are not are beyond the capabilities of your turntable. Your going to have to spend some serious coin to get a table with a capable tonearm that will make the other AT cartridges sing. In another words to do it right by these cartridges your going to get into an audio money pit upgrading to a better table and related components.

After taking photos and posting them in the dollars and sense forum, it turns out that I have different models inside the wrong boxes. I don't think this score is as astronomical as we all thought, but I'm still thankful for even receiving them.

hirscwi: Apparently he's got an AT140ML with ATN140ML installed in the AT-ML170/OCC box, an AT15Sa or -SS body with an ATN15SS installed in the AT140ML box, an AT15Sa body with ATN15 installed in the AT15Sa box plus an ATN15SS in the matching box within a nice box of some higher end AT model (not sure which one, though).

So the AT-ML170/OCC plus needle are missing, but instead he's got a second AT15Sa/SS body with ATN15SS - which may seem a tad less great at the first glance, but in practice might just as well be preferable, as replacement needles for the AT-ML1x0(/OCC) family by now are unobtanium anyway. Might be a good idea for 63V to grab one or two of the ATN15E needles, though, provided LPGear still offers these for a fair price...

majick: I don't see that much of a problem in terms of arm compatibility - however, you're definitely right that a PS-LX350 wouldn't yet seem a really adequate platform for these cartridges. However, a nice used Thorens, Dual, Luxman or whatever with more suitable quality and more ideal arm wouldn't be that expensive.

But as the whole lot now turned out to be rather not new and unopened, of course 63V now has foremost got the problem, that he has yet to find out what condition the stuff actually is in...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

So what models do you have?

Working on it right now. I'll post about it soon.

But as the whole lot now turned out to be rather not new and unopened, of course 63V now has foremost got the problem, that he has yet to find out what condition the stuff actually is in...

I'm trying to see if I can track down someone nearby who can look at these with a microscope.

Finally had a chance to take a closer look tonite. Had to unscrew the cartridges from the packaging to see the model number on the bottom.

The box labeled ATN15SS contains an AT15SS stylus

The box labeled AT15Sa contains an AT15Sa cartridge with a "Universal" stylus

The box labeled AT-ML170/OCC contains an AT140ML cartridge with a AT140ML stylus. The needle appears to be shortened so I'm guessing it's worn down/broken? I attached a picture.

The box labeled AT140ML contains an AT15SS cartridge with a AT15SS stylus.

I have an appointment next week to get them examined under a microscope.

Attachments

• AT140 ML stylus.jpg
    AT140 ML stylus.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom