Does anyone NOT like the JICO S.A.S N91ED?

Oh, I see.

Well, I've heard nothing but good things from JICO. I personally wouldn't hesitate on even their lower styli. Though I still wonder how it compares to an original made by Shure.

I have all three. The genuine N91ed I have says Hi-Track on the stylus grip. It is a nude 2x7 mil elliptical. The difference in SQ between it, and the $13 EVG/Jico from Carolesneedles is insignificant. They both sound sweet. No wonder M91 cartridges are going for good prices on sleaze-bay, as they can be fitted with a decent stylus for a great price.

Right now, I'm comparing a good, original Hi-Track with an EVG. The Hi-Track wins by a margin. A while back I had the opportunity the compare a SAS with those two. I think I gave the Hi-Track a slight edge over the SAS but not by much.

I'm a bit confused.

Is the Hi Track stylus the original for the M91ED? Is the one available (non SAS) aftermarket, or is it made by Shure?

Just curious, as I've heard there's different versions of this stylus.

nos genuine shure n91ed styli do come up fairly regularly on ebay, and at a much better price point than the sas. when considering a nos n91ed, keep in mind there were two versions (both yellow/cream color and both marked hi-track). there is an early, thin cantilever version :thmbsp: made in the us, and the later, thick cantilever version :thumbsdn:.

a nos thin cantilever n91ed will give the sas a serious run for it's money (and better the egv or other genreics). it's my preferred stylus for the m91ed cart. if you're considering one, you need to check where it was made. thin cantilevers have made in usa clearly marked on the blue shure box, and an evanston, illinois address.

i have nothing bad to say about the sas.

Attachments

• N91ed%20Stylus%202.jpeg
    N91ed%20Stylus%202.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 97
  • $_57-1.JPG
    $_57-1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 68
So, what would my black hi-track with a thin cantilever be?

I'm guessing that my yellow body w/ black front panel, with the thin cantilever, and nude stylus is like yours. My guess is that ours are Early USA made.

Going to throw it in on my next side and give it a listen, immediately after listening to the SAS. :scratch2:

So, what would my black hi-track with a thin cantilever be?

if it says "shure hi-track" on the front of the stylus grip, it may be genuine shure, but not be an n91ed. probably a n91e. if it doesn't say "shure hi-track" on the front, it is a non-shure generic. there are a lot of generics being sold as "hi-track" when they are not genuine shure. such as this pfanstiehl (noaff):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHURE-HI-TRACK-STYLUS-N91ED-N91E-M91ED-N91G-4-761-DE-/280234869511

there were other variants, the n91e, n91gd, etc. which were different colors. shure literature lists the n91ed as yellow. on the us made, thin cantilever ones, the "hi-track" lettering was metallic red or sometimes gold and very cleanly printed. mexican production thick cantilever styli typically had less precise lettering.

Attachments

• N91ed.jpg
    N91ed.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 45
  • SHHITRACK-2.jpg
    SHHITRACK-2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Shure_N91E_combo.jpg
    Shure_N91E_combo.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 2.15.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 2.15.00 PM.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for all the great the info. It's good to have such knowledgeable folks on board. :thmbsp:

Here's mine.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
It's all personal preference. If you can, get both the original and the SAS. Both have attributes that are unique to each other. Nice to have a choice if you can. Plus the spare factor is a positive. I suppose the only possible to the original is that your never quite sure if it's really NOS or has some miles on it.

I agree, it's nice to have options.

I'm listening to the black one now and it sounds great. I'm going to order a SAS tomorrow and the EVGs will stay with the mono system for playing old LPs.

The M91E stylus was my first JICO. I've since purchased JICOs for my Empire 2000EIII and Shure V15 type III cartridges. They are the first after market styli that I've been happy with across the board and I'll soon be buying a few more.

I compared a M91ED with original Hi Track yellow stylus to a V15 III also with an original stylus. They sounded quite different, with the V15 III sounding more detailed and refined, the M91ED sounding more mid-centric, full, but less detailed overall.

I don't know if my assessment of the differences aligns with other's experiences, but wondering if anyone has compared these two carts with SAS stylii and have any comments. I would consider buying a SAS for one or the other, but not both.

Wondering if the differences I heard would be maintained if both had SAS or if SAS would make both sound more like what I'm hearing the V15 III to sound like now.

I compared a M91ED with original Hi Track yellow stylus to a V15 III also with an original stylus. They sounded quite different, with the V15 III sounding more detailed and refined, the M91ED sounding more mid-centric, full, but less detailed overall.

I don't know if my assessment of the differences aligns with other's experiences, but wondering if anyone has compared these two carts with SAS stylii and have any comments. I would consider buying a SAS for one or the other, but not both.

Wondering if the differences I heard would be maintained if both had SAS or if SAS would make both sound more like what I'm hearing the V15 III to sound like now.

I have both the M91ED and V-15 III with SAS styli, and your impressions of their relative differences with the OEM styli remain true with the SAS.

The great thing about the Jico SAS is that it is keeping the vintage Shure cartridges relevant. If you have a V15, M91, or M95 body laying around you can get very nice sound for about ~$140 by putting a SAS on it.

I got my V15-III essentially for free, finding it on an old vintage deck that I flipped. Still looking for a M91 or M95 body.

There is excellent value here, especially when matched with the right arm and optimal loading.

I wonder how many JICO sales AK is responsible for. :scratch2:

This thread alone has had over 800 views plus all the other threads concerning JICO.

Last edited:
I have been watching this thread with interest. I recently purchase a Thorens TD-150 TT mk2 with the stock arm and M91 ED cart. It has a new aftermarket stylus that I am sure is a generic. It is grey with no markings on it. I think it sounds pretty good but I am going to look into the Jico styluses. I also have a empire TT with Jelco SA-750 arm. Would the the M91 ED be a good match complaisance wise with this arm. If the M91ED with Jico stylus sounds that good I would like to try it on a better arm...

Back
Top Bottom