TP-16 MK II Missing A Part

digwig

Hi everyone,
I just received Thorens 145 MK II. It seems to be a beauty in good shape. However, the tonearm is missing the piece at the back that the weight slides onto, which is really annoying.
I've contacted the seller but I don't have a lot of faith that he will turn anything up for me. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what this part is called so I can begin to search for a replacement. I've attached photos so you can see exactly what I am talking about. The last picture shows a complete arm with the part. Also, if anyone has any tips about how I should proceed, it would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help. I apologize if this has been covered somewhere already.

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3316.jpg
    IMG_3316.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 536535-thorens_td145_mk_ii_turntable_w_2_spare_oem_tonearms_3_vintage_carts.jpg
    536535-thorens_td145_mk_ii_turntable_w_2_spare_oem_tonearms_3_vintage_carts.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 26
If all else fails, it won't be a very elaborate part to make. Essentially it's a tube with specific inner and outer diameters. Obviously the weight of it should be very close to the original but any local machine shop would be able to make something like this rather easily once you find out the dimensions.

I also found a partial Thorens tonearm that has that part on ebay with a search that took all of 30 seconds. It might be a pain to have to buy something else but it's out there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful responses.
I'm a little reluctant to get the part from a different model. The only literature that seems to be out there is for similar arms so I don't know the details about the piece I need or even how it is supposed to be attached (the screw hole at the bottom?). At this point I only want to spend money on something I know will work, but maybe when I get over this botched purchase I will be more willing to explore alternatives.
In the meantime, I will continue to seek out the part. If anyone can help me out with what the part is and how it is married to the arm, it would be appreciated.
Apple, thank you for your helpful sleuthing.

Here's a worthwhile read. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=523166

Again it's for a Mk1 but talks on how your missing part is mounted. There's a screw that goes through the spring retainer (that's the thing that you have at the rear of your arm that has what looks a bit like fishing line on it), through the 'cylinder' (the piece you have missing) and into the plastic washer that's still on the end of your arm.

Back
Top Bottom