The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

Roivas

"There are many like it, but this one is mine."

From the moment I started getting into vinyl several years ago, I knew I wanted to one day have a very nice, high-quality table that was reliable and would last a long time. When I discovered the Technics 1600, I knew almost instantly that this was what I had been looking for in a turntable.

Of course, the 1600 isn't alone. It was part of a family of wonderful turntables. The 1600 was fully automatic, the 1700 was semi-automatic, with auto-return but manual cueing, and the 1800 was fully manual. These tables seem to come up on these forums a decent amount, and I know several people who have them, had them, or aspire to have them. It may not be it's more famous cousin, but I think it's deserving of its own thread.

So, I'll add people as they want to join. To become a member, just add a new post at the end of the most recent page and I'll update the masthead to put your name in. Also, don't forget to stop by post #104 in this thread to get your official membership card (that's page 7, by the way).

Fans of this wonderful turntable, let's make some noise (with no audible wow & flutter!)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• $(KGrHqV,!hEE7uMNmo!lBPK!FQws3!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!hEE7uMNmo!lBPK!FQws3!~~60_3.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 593
  • DSC02442.jpg
    DSC02442.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 2,668
  • The Official Technics Owner's Club-page-001.jpg
    The Official Technics Owner's Club-page-001.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 610
  • The Official Technics Owner s Club.jpg
    The Official Technics Owner s Club.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,307
Last edited:
Currently enjoying my refurbished SL1600 MK2 in my system now....

attachment.php

I had Scott Thompson do a complete refurbishment, including new Cardas tonearm wiring all the way back through the interconnects. He did a wonderful job bringing this unit back to near perfect condition and it plays wonderfully.

All I need now is to wrap it in a nice wood cabinet to give it more of a vintage look to go along with the rest of the gear in my system...

Attachments

• SL1600MK2.jpg
    SL1600MK2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,283
My first was a battered 1800, followed by a 1600 that I dearly loved. I sold it when I found a 1600MK2. After that developed a speed problem (probably due to bad caps), I tried a succession of tables, including a 1700MK2. I'm now on my second 1600 - my favorite turntable out of what I've owned, hands down.

It's very hard to top this line of tables for a reasonable outlay, especially if, like me, you're hopelessly hooked on auto features.

My succession of cartridges included the Shure M97xE, the Shure V15 III, and the Stanton 681EEE. Some might view a change from the V15 III to 681EEE as a lateral move, at best, but the Stanton sounded decidedly better to me on the 1600, and a fresh LP Gear Vivid Line stylus only improved it.

Last edited:
The table that gets the most use in my house right now is an SL-1600 (not Mk2). It sounds great with several different cartridges, holds speed perfectly, and the suspension makes for excellent noise isolation, I find. You can rap on the plinth and hear only a very small thump through the speakers.

Full auto is really convenient, especially since the mechanism is pretty gentle with its drops and lifts.

I only needed to do basic maintenance on this guy: DeoxIT, lube, suspension adjustment.

So I'm a big fan of this series of tables. Thanks for starting the thread! (I also have an SL-Q3, close cousin to the SL-1600 Mk2, and a fine instrument in its own right.)

I'm in. I started with a 1700 and, like others, really needed an auto function to suit my needs. Picked up a 1600 MK2 and replaced the cables, clean/adjust and painted the plinth a gloss silver not really far off the original grayish silver. I could never keep the cover clear so I got a 1200 cover from KAB with the "dome" over the arm gimble. It's ok, makes the silver pop out. While in there I replaced the stylus pop-up lite with a deep blue led. Love the effect.

I've been using an AT 440 (now with a 140Lc stylus since I damaged the 440's) and it seems to go well. I'm spoiled by the auto and repeat functions.

Big fan of these TT's -- they make it real easy to like them.

I have an SL-1700 (not Mk2) that I bought used on Barter Town. It's in excellent condition and sounds great. It's not currently installed in my big system, but before summer is over I plan to move it onto the rack, install my Longhorn'ed Grado Green with 8MZ V stylus, and take it for an extended spin.

The one thing I might miss after the swap is auto-start, as my current turntable (a Technics SL-230) is fully automatic. It may take a while for me to get used to the semi-automatic SL-1700.

Yep! My SL-1600 is my prized TT; the living room one. With a Denon DL -110 cart, its ever so gently putting needle to record and the automatic feature, I'm in.

Got it last year, $55 find on Craigslist while on vacation, and happily shipped it home. It had the dreaded bad feed, easily fixed with cleaning. Some elbow grease on the dust cover, but all is good.

Bought my SL-1600 MKII new in 1981 and have loved it since. Replaced the tonearm belt once, but that is it. When I decided to add a second turntable I picked up an SL-1710 MKII instead of another 1600 because I saw the black and really, really wanted it and black 1600 MKII's are very rare and very expensive when they come up. My third turntable is an SL-Q1 Linear Tracking because I needed it to fit inside an oak cabinet (the old ones with the slide-out turntable shelf) and the MKII's are too high to fit.

Glad to hear all the comments! As far as cartidges go, I've always wanted to try the 681EEE, but never have gotten around to picking one up. I'm going to make a roster sheet after work today (where I am now, so this post will be brief) with everyone's user name. I'll keep adding to it as more people join in!

As far as cartidges go, I've always wanted to try the 681EEE, but never have gotten around to picking one up.

I'm using an Acutex M312 III STR on my 1600 MK2 at the moment. I like it a lot but my "standard" cartridge for a while has been a Pickering XV-15/1200 (NOS), the Pickering equivalent to the Stanton 681 EEE. It's a very good match for the arm on the MK2s. I prefer using it without the brush. It seems to make the stylus "faster" on the transients.

John

Other worthy cartridges I've tried on my MK2 (in no particular order):

Recommended
Acutex M210 II E (NOS)
Pickering V-15/350 (NOS) for mono LPs and 45s
Shure V15 Type IV HE (NOS)
Shure M97HE (NOS)
Sonus Black A (NOS)
Stanton 680EE (NOS)

Honorable Mention
Shure M75ED T2 (EVG)
Shure M91ED (EVG)
Shure M95ED (NOS)

Oddball
Audio-Technica AT120E/???*

*The stylus is intended to be a regular ATN120 but it's not. Under the microscope, it's revealed to be a rectangular shank nude natural diamond, either Shibata or MR. It sounds really good. Gotta love manufacturing mistakes like that!

John

Recommended on Technics SL-1600 Mk II:

Stanton 681 EEE-S II
Shure M 97 xE

I used to own one. Still love them and my favorite full automatic Technics turntable of all. I still repair and refurbish them for other people.

Also an SL-1500 owner (plus an SL-1400) so maybe a thread for the 1300, 1400, and 1500 decks?

Edit: I've owned an SL-1700MKII but I gravitate towards 1400 and 1500's for some reason :scratch2:

Last edited:
... used to own one. Still love them and my favorite full automatic Technics turntable of all. I still repair and refurbish them for other people.

I love the 1700MK2 myself. One of three TTs that made the cut in the end- Technics SP25, Technics SL1710MK2, JVC QL-7 and QL-A7. Although I do miss the Sony PS-X50/60/70s and PS-X5/6/7s.

Currently a silver SL-1700MK2 and two of the dark gray SL-1710MK2s still reside here.

Back
Top Bottom