Garrard Type A In AMAZING Condition

jgannon

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A couple of months back I purchased this Garrard Type A on ebay after seeing one in action on youtube. I just fell in love with the thing. I had some camera issues and didn't put up a thread at the time, but that's resolved now and here is the thread.

I DID pay for this. No big score for little money. But it was SO worth it! This is thing is in pristine condition. It works at all speeds, plays automatically or manually, and came with all the paperwork and spindles. The paperwork hasn't even yellowed. The templates look like they just came out of the box. It's almost like a time capsule.

It has an R25XT cartridge. There is nice BIG soundstage (I'm playing it with am Audio Alchemist Sony6060-restored Fisher 800B :music: and only one Wharfedale W60 along with and XAM 3E - I'm looking for a matching W60) -, but sometimes the bottom of the cart occasionally scrapes the record. I was thinking that I might need a lower compliance cart - perhaps a vintage Pickering X15 or a Shure M3D or M7D which I've heard go really well with this table. I've also heard that an Ortofon DJ cart would work well. Those old Shures sure aren't cheap.

Here are some pics, and thanks for looking! :D

023-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

002-6.jpg

012-5.jpg

[
014-2.jpg

[

I too have a Garrard type A and it is one heck of a performer.

Mine has a Pickering 380 cart and is attached to my '62 Fisher Ambassador which gets plenty of use here in my design studio

Thanks for sharing

And I also have listened to Whip Cream and other delights on it

Last edited:
great table; yours is very clean. I can't recommend the M7D highly enough; it's gobsmackingly good.

I have one, too....but still untouched and unrestored (it works, though!) I have an earlier model (a Garrard 88, I think), that I use for 45's. Your photos are putting a fire under my ever-widening ass to get this machine restored.

Beautiful table. Thanks for sharing your pics and pleasure. Did you have to do any servicing to get it going well?

I too have a Garrard type A and it is one heck of a performer.

Mine has a Pickering cart and is attached to my '62 Fisher Ambassador which gets plenty of use here in my design studio

Thanks for sharing

And I also have listened to Whip Cream and other delights on it

Thanks! I think the only real issue I am going to have with the table is getting the "right" cart. You say you have a Pickering cart. Is it one of the V15's? And would any V15 do? BTW, I was playing the Whipped Cream album for my four year-old son...he loves "A Taste of Honey"!!

Last edited:
great table; yours is very clean. I can't recommend the M7D highly enough; it's gobsmackingly good.

Yeah, I've heard the M7D is supposed to be great!!

I wonder what the difference would be between the M7D and the M3D?

Beautiful table. Thanks for sharing your pics and pleasure. Did you have to do any servicing to get it going well?

That was the amazing thing...this dealer just shipped it and BAM - it was like it just came out of the shop. As I remember it, he just said he cleaned and oiled it. I asked him in a message after I got it, where he got it, but he never got back to me. Maybe I should try him again.

Thanks...and another thank you for that info on the Sinatra Capitol albums. I've been meaning to revisit that thread. I have a couple of pressings that were cut in Hollywood, and interestingly, one of them is a 10" Songs For Young Lovers, but it has a purple label!

I have one, too....but still untouched and unrestored (it works, though!) I have an earlier model (a Garrard 88, I think), that I use for 45's. Your photos are putting a fire under my ever-widening ass to get this machine restored.

Go for it! I'm loving the sound on this!! :music:

Yes! Now you can see the Garrard do it's thing! Stack those 45s! Nice pick, Petula Clark really swings. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the link. That's a little swingin' number. I have all of her 1960's albums. I'll have to spin some soon!

Wow! My uncle had one of these. Back in '62. Tied to a Fisher 1000. Got me started on the this long ride of audio. I was 11, now I am 63! Nice find. Sweet. Have fun! First time I ever saw a 45 spindle! Way cool. It's straight! First time for that!

Wow! My uncle had one of these. Back in '62. Tied to a Fisher 1000. Got me started on the this long ride of audio. I was 11, now I am 63! Nice find. Sweet. Have fun! First time I ever saw a 45 spindle! Way cool. It's straight! First time for that!

Thanks, isn't that something? I could totally see how this table could get a kid hooked. When I saw this youtube clip, I fell for it instantly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qpa74Sorys

Back
Top Bottom