Need a 'cheap' Ortofon OM20 stylus ?

Frank Sol

Lunatic Member
The following is very subjective - Just my opinion

I've been reviewing a generic Ortofon replacement. It is a Jico 541-DE. I got it off of ebay for $15.00 free s/h

These generic replacements can be all over the place concerning their Technical Data or where made.

Sound wise it is as close to the stock OM20 to my old ears as it can be. Better than the 10 but not as good as the 30

A stock Ortofon OM20 costs around $185

YMMV

Go for a JICO with no # or letter before the 5 in 541

Still no guarantee it was made in Japan but IMO a better chance that it was

I found a 541-DE copy at Turntable Needles for $30 and says it's made in Japan. Where on fleabay did you find the $15 541-DE ? Thanks.

Thanks, found it, but says it replaces STY 5-30, we know that ain't true. But for $15, may just try it out, as I just upgraded my OM-5E to a Ortofon STY-10. an original stylus. ($47)

Thanks for the tip! Just picked one up for $15 with free shipping. Perfect timing.

I finally admitted that my AKG P8E is suffering from a hardened suspension. Had an OM-10 Super in the spares bin and it's the only other cartridge I have that would work on an Infinity Black Widow. Threw it on and it tracks great and sounds just OK. Looking forward to trying this styli in the deck.

BTW, looks like seller has 3 left (5 sold in last hour).

Had to be away for a little while...

But am glad you guys found the ebay one

Looking forward to ya'll reviews

I bought a cheap Phanstiel stylus off of Ebay for my Ortofon OM cartridge. Mine was made in Switzerland. Sounds fabulous! I think I paid around $17 for it. I know with Phanstiel, it's a hit or miss with the quality control. I was lucky and have a good one! I use that cartridge for my not so good condition records.

Frank, a quick listen tells me you were right about this stylus. Is your cantilever gold colored?

I got mine on Monday, but couldn't mount it until Tuesday.

One thing I noticed was the cantilever was a hair longer so had to do a quick re-alignment. Under a lupe the diamond appeared to be nude mounted. At least to my failing eyes I could not see the tell-tale glob of glue.

Only have a few album sides of play, but is sounding much better than the 10 stylus. It's on an Infinity Black Widow which wants a high compliance cart. Seems to be behaving better than the 10 which may indicate is closer to the 20's compliance?

To be fair, when I took the 10 stylus off I found the plastic shell was cracked. It came on a Rega deck I bought for the arm, but seller claimed it was a new cartridge mounted by a shop shortly before going into storage. That crack in the shell surely contributed to why I didn't find the 10 very good. However, I thought it was just ok like all the other reviews I've read.

I will report back after some more break-in.

Here's picks of the case it came in. It doesn't say so on case, but seller (carolesneedles.com) ad claimed it was made in Japan.

IMG_20140820_101651.jpg

IMG_20140820_101706.jpg

Could those who have it speak to the issue of inner detail, please? I have been listening to a DL-160 and an unknown Sonus (dark brown stylus) and comparing those for detail on two very different tables.

As a test for the table the Sonus is on I mounted my old standby OM-10. It has a clean sound, but the details I noted with the other carts weren't there. If I concentrated I could hear some of them faintly, but the suspended in air details were largely painted over. If I hadn't heard the same LP through the other carts I'd have been fine with the sound.

Does the 20 have more detail? Or should I be looking for a 30/40 someday if I'm that picky?

Frank, I appreciate your positive posts.

Could those who have it speak to the issue of inner detail, please?

Like I said I'm still running mine in. However, I definitely noticed an increase in detail stepping up from the 10 -> this generic 20 stylus. I really noticed it on cymbals and chimes that sounded way more realistic. Surface noise was greater, but that settled down after a couple album sides. I would also say the soundstage was greater with better front to back imaging. Of course it's hard to really compare with a lot of time lapse in between.

Just had a look at her store and the only 541 stylus is a Pfanstiehl.

Should I take a chance or wait to see if she gets more of these "made in japan" ones in?

I have $15 Pfanstiehl on my OM cartridge and is it "just ok" when compared to the OM 10.

If the EVG version is being compared favorably to the OM 20 then I would hold out for it.

I have an EVG (Jico) that I use on my Shure V-25 III and it punches way aboit its $14 price tag.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom