My cartridges, opinions appreciated

nburg

Well I have been running a Pickering XSV 3000 with d3000 stylus on my Dual 1229Q. I think it is a good combination. I also have a Shure V15 type III that I found on my brothers old tt, unfortunately the original vn35e stylus on it was shot. So I might get a new jico sas at some point. Most recently I decided to purchase a Micro Acoustics 2002e with original stylus. Then I decided I need more headshells for my dual so I found a proper dual headshell on the bay with a shure m93e attached to it for $40. Ive read that it is essentially a m91ed just different stylus. So I might get a new stylus for that too.
I know a lot of carts for one tt just need more headshells for quick swaps. Anyway I'm just curious about your opinions and personal experience with these carts. Once iget them all running I will definitely do a cartrige shootout. But for now would like to hear different opinions on which might be better and why. I know it will be up to me to decide.

The V-15 III is a truly outstanding cartridge. Getting an SAS for it should be your priority.

You can "test drive" the V-15 III and the M93E by getting EVG ellipticals for them off eBay, for under $15/each. Those styli are surprisingly good and will give you a nice taste of those carts' personalities.

All keepers, IMO, but you'll have a hell of a time getting a stylus for the Micro Acoustics when the time comes so enjoy it while you can. The Pickering will be a little easier to find a stylus for (think possible versus impossible) but it'll cost ya!:) Shures work quite well on Dual idlers and the cheap EVG generic styli for the M91 are a real surprise, almost as good as the original US "HI Tracks". Again, Shures and Duals are a great match so it'll be worth your while to get an SAS for the V15/III.

John

Yes I bought the micro acoustics knowing the risk but I read a lot of good things about it so I went for it. I think I will take both of your advice and get a evg stylus off the bay for the m93 and get the jico as soon as I can.

I had a Dual 12XX/Shure combo that worked well together way back... in fact once there, I just kept moving up the line: M91ED to M95ED and I was going to go to a V15 but then I changed tables and, well, the rest is history...

I would go with the Shure...

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

I bought a couple of V15's when current.
First one was a dud plain and simple Few years later bought another in the thought that the first one was faulty. It proved a dud as well. It worked.. but sounds were NO better than the M91ed it replaced.
Both were fitted onto My Thorens 150 II
Lotsa hype and little actual substance to those in my view.

I bought a couple of V15's when current.
First one was a dud plain and simple Few years later bought another in the thought that the first one was faulty. It proved a dud as well. It worked.. but sounds were NO better than the M91ed it replaced.
Both were fitted onto My Thorens 150 II
Lotsa hype and little actual substance to those in my view.

Thank you for your thoughts on the v15 type III. I have no personal experience with it yet but I have read a lot of positive reviews of it so I am going to try the jico out sometime soon. I'm going to do a shootout of all of them soon. I plan on keeping all of them for now.

Now, some counterpoint:

I have both a V-15 III and an M91ED, both fitted with an SAS. They have similar characteristics, but the V-15 is clearly the superior cartridge in terms of resolution and extension. The M91ED remains a helluva bargain on the used market, though.

At the risk of sounding insulting or snooty, hearing the relative differences requires that the rest of the system be capable of resolving them.

Well I think I have a quite decent system now. I have a fully restored Fisher x-202 going to a pair of Klipsch Quartets. I rotate dynaco a25s and klh model 6's in there as well. My dual was restored also. But maybe my ears won't hear the difference.

Back
Top Bottom