Infinity WTLC transformation

I recently cleaned some black JBL grilles in a utility sink with a laundry detergent and hot water soak, a really good rinse, drain and sun drying and they look great now. They were stained and dusty before, now they look new. YMMV.

++:thmbsp:

Inifiniti WTLC Tweeter

I recently picked up a pair of WTLC's. They are beat up bad. This tweeter's aluminum tube is broken off the main body and the foam is rotted. I'm OK with replacing the foam, and regluing the aluminum tube, but the paper/foil cone is wrinkled near the base. Not badly, but the structural integrity of the cone has been slightly compromised. Kind of like if you were to crush a paper cup. It still holds its basic shape but just isn't quite right (if that makes sense).
Can this tweeter be tested for functionality with an ohmmeter and if so, what R value should I be expecting to see? And knowing about the paper distortion, do you think this tweeter is salvagable?

3ED54F1B-F1BA-4B7E-9AE8-C22464B4D854_zpsv3hvfjfw.jpg

3F9992C3-8717-4A04-94AF-BFA4862CE64D_zpsc4q3vtlm.jpg

the cone in your photo looks better than most. if you mean the aluminum spider where it interfaces the cone, it is supposed to be "wrinkled". a continuity check across the terminals will tell you if it's working. if its not it can be repaired. the support tube can be re-glued, and the foam procedure is outlined in post #113 of the big walsh tweeter thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=457391&page=8

also, there should be more polyfill in your cone under the foam cap. you want it full. from the picture, i'd be most concerned as to whether crud has gotten down into the voicecoil.

Attachments

• walshspider.png.jpg
    walshspider.png.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom