Looking for a WTLC Forward Woofer

mklein357

Well I picked up a pair of WTLC's this weekend for next to nothing. They are in rough shape howwever but they are refurbishable. All except for one of the forward facing 8" woofers which is DOA. Does anyone out there know where I might be able to locate one? Were these woofers specific to the WTLC or were they used on other Infinity product?

Thank-you

WTLC woofers are unique

To my knowledge the woofers in the WTLC's both forward and down firing pairs, were unique to that model. I speak from experience having been in a similar position as you are now when I was getting my WTLC's together. The woofers are doped paper cone drivers similar to the one's found in the monitor series except of course being 8" instead of 12". The doping, which was a tar like substance, was applied by infinity to the raw drivers to alter their resonant frequency and in the case of the WTLC, a heavier coating of the "stuff" was applied to the bottom firing pair than was applied to the front firing pair to create what Infinity referred to in their marketing material as a "mechanical crossover". Otherwise the drivers are identical. I actually ended up buying a beater pair of WTLC's just to end up with a full set of properly doped woofers.

A significant number of WTLC's that come up for sale are missing some or all of the original woofers.

Attached is a brochure for the WTLC that describes the woofer configuration.

Attachments

• INFINITY_WTLC_brochure_2.jpg
    INFINITY_WTLC_brochure_2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
mklein please see your inbox

WTLC woofers are unique

To my knowledge the woofers in the WTLC's both forward and down firing pairs, were unique to that model. I speak from experience having been in a similar position as you are now when I was getting my WTLC's together. The woofers are doped paper cone drivers similar to the one's found in the monitor series except of course being 8" instead of 12". The doping, which was a tar like substance, was applied by infinity to the raw drivers to alter their resonant frequency and in the case of the WTLC, a heavier coating of the "stuff" was applied to the bottom firing pair than was applied to the front firing pair to create what Infinity referred to in their marketing material as a "mechanical crossover". Otherwise the drivers are identical. I actually ended up buying a beater pair of WTLC's just to end up with a full set of properly doped woofers.

A significant number of WTLC's that come up for sale are missing some or all of the original woofers.

Attached is a brochure for the WTLC that describes the woofer configuration.

I have 3 original WTLC woofers:

I have 2 of the bottom woofers that are doped, and 1 from the upper (less doping). The upper woofer had a cloth surround repair added, it is functional, but not pretty. The cloth surround was from another speaker and was attached with RTV. It could certainly be repaired again to be more aesthetic. The 2 LF doped woofers need surrounds,

I realize these are a bit rare, so I'm willing to sell them if a reasonable offer comes in that would allow me to purchase 2 high quality equivalent 8" woofers.

THey are certainly not perfect, but if someone requires the sonic characteristics of these, I;m certain it would be much closer to the original sound of the speakers than a purchased replacement. I'll post pictures if someone has enough interest to make the exchange worth my while.

Otherwise I was simply going to use the 2 doped woofers in a speaker needing some 8 inch woofs. I actually have surrounds on order to do the repair.

If that's an offer to sell that is not allowed here unless you pay to subscribe, then you can place an ad in Bartertown.

If that's an offer to sell that is not allowed here unless you pay to subscribe, then you can place an ad in Bartertown.[/QU
If that's an offer to sell that is not allowed here unless you pay to subscribe, then you can place an ad in Bartertown.
Sorry, was not really interested in profit per se, figured they were unique and before I simply dumped them into cabinets, considered my fellow audiophiles. I don't see where I can delete the post. Perhaps a moderator can.

Back
Top Bottom