Infinity RSII finally have an amp to run them

Speakernutz

I came home last night with a HAFLER DH500 amp that I am installing into the setup. I have a HARMAN KARDON HK 3490 that I bought thinking it was capable to run the RSIIs but it didn't work out. I am asking how best to wire this HAFLER DH-500 to the HK 3490 .. I also see where on my one RSII I have pretty wasted EMIT but to be honest having only 1 out of the 4 being damaged I'm feeling lucky. I behaved with not turning up the volume but I have had others able to play while I was gone at times . I'm not necessarily a simpleton in respect to audio but I know this big dog amp needs to be respected and I hope to get real advice here to get things right ... Happy New Years everybody !

Last edited:
Just use the hk for the preamp. Unhook the speakers and hook them to the Hafler. Connect the l and r audio pre amp out to the hafler in and you are good to go. Make sure your speaker connections are clean, good and solid with no little strands of wires sticking out.

Hafler dh500 is a very nice amp with plenty of slam. I think you will like it.

You can replace the emit diaphragm with another out of the cheaper round ones. Look for the black ones that say EMIT in fat letters. They tend to go for less money then the others and the diaphragms are the same. It's easy, lots of info here on taking them apart.
Jim

Well thanks for the reply .. I wasn't going to hook up that way and wonder what damage might have occurred... No need to do it wrong now ! Many thanks ! I have some HK infinitys up in the attic with emits I believe up in the attic and if the emits are there I'd gladly tear into those . I don't really want to take parts off my INFINITY RSa baby's .. I picked those up for a hundred bucks in excellent condition except for needing refoamed . Now to go dig past Easter , Christmas and Halloween decorations to find out ..... Can't wait to finally hear these without nurturing the throttle and still damaging tweets ! Thanks again Slimpikkins !

Last edited:
I power my RSIIs with a dh-500 but run a Shuguang S200mk tube preamp. Really nice combo of SS power and control, and tube pre smoothness. You'll be pleased with what the Hafler will do for those speakers. This is the the 3rd preamp i have tried with the RSII/dh500 setup and am finally happy with what I'm hearing. Experimenting with different equipment is half the fun for me though.

Well the time til I get to hear my RSIIs is not here yet, I'm not getting anything from the speakers yet and believe it's my pots ..Last time I played with them was about two years ago I guess and they were iffy at best. Powder cleaned out then was only able to make them intermittent so after sitting this long its time to play around some more or find the obvious fix...Opinions on what to do next is hopefully suggested. To qualify the amp as actually working would it kill my Infinity RSa speakers with the emits and same drivers? Even though I'd need to swap out two of my refoamed woofers into the RSa's to make it happen I would.I've waited so long to finally hear these speakers and just want to make it so......Thank You for your input MistaChen as I really appreciate your comments .

Last edited:
Fuse issues in Hafler DH500

So I have blown fuses in the rear outside panel of the Hafler DH-500 after hooking up to preamp of the HK3490 which is hooked up to my Infinity RSIIs . Opinions on exactly which fuses to buy to run with the Hafler and perhaps the Infinity RSIIs . Got a first taste of the setup before things went down and wow ! Please offer any "sound" advice ! Pun intended but with all I've been going thru I sure would like some musical joy around here ! Thanks in advance in helping me to get it right like not using slo blow or whatever else you intelligent people know .

I would have firstly recommended checking DC offset on your amplifier.
Unless the speakers are wired incorrectly I'd say you should have tech look at the amp.

Well all is fine ! I am in heaven finally ! I still have one rear facing EMIT that needs repaired but my choice for first song was ALLMAN BROTHERS " IN MEMORY OF ELIZABETH REED" and OMG ! The guitars,drums ,organ & the congas were sheer perfection and because I do love my neighbor I only had the receiver well below 3/4 volume .... Tomorrow I'll turn up the bass a bit and a bit more on the volume .. I can't wait ! Thanks everybody ! INFINITY RSIIs for $35.00 W.T.F. ? Like I said I'm in Heaven but after buying these for that price I might be heading straight to hell ! So I'm going to enjoy this heavenly equipment as much as possible !

Last edited:
Glad you figured it out. That is a nice amp. Theres one local to me and if i didn't have several large amps already lying around unused I'd buy it. If those rsii's have not been used in a long time they will sound even better after a couple days use. Have fun.
Jim

The DH500 manual is available for a free download if you google it and haven't already. If I remember correctly you can set the limit on how power goes out by changing those rear fuses. I think 5 amp give you full power and each amp down gives you a little less if you're worrying about power output to the speakers. A great amp to listen to if I had one instead of at a friends... Enjoy!

Something must be wrong with that amp, your speakers, or your ears, if you listen to them at 3/4 volume. I would think it would be insanely loud.

Something must be wrong with that amp, your speakers, or your ears, if you listen to them at 3/4 volume. I would think it would be insanely loud.

He is using a computer for source. I've found that I need to use much more of the volume knob than with a cd, tuner or phono.

I picked up a DH 220 with blown fuse. It had the optional bridging switch inside. It was set to bridged mode and I assumed someone try to hook up speakers in stero mode. Set it back to stereo, replaced the fuse and no problems since. I believe the bridging switch was an option on the 500 as well. With the switch hidden inside, there is no external indication of mode outside unless you affix a tag to the rear as a reminder.

That's good info about the interior switch so I'll look into that . I'm down again due to surrounds I replaced years ago that I basically never used being compromised . That's due to no proper amp and probably my now 12 year old son pushing them in when he was much younger. Anyway I'm waiting on delivery of two new (to me anyway) restored woofers and a fresh EMIT to get me back on track ! Any opinion on where to pick up the best surrounds for the ten inch poly woofers . I have the RSIIs and a set of RSe speakers and want to go thru the ones that don't look perfect . Because I cooked the lower woofer on my left channel . I believe the surround was so far gone that it contacted coil to magnet because it cooked off the poly bullet center and the smell of something burning was strong . My wife playing it in living room while in the kitchen and listening to Boston ! Her hatred of Infinitys in the living room isn't over but I plan to put the work into the frames and the install with original fabric which looks excellent . I can only hope it lasts . Personally I'll miss the exposed bare cabs !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom