Prelude MTS's

fiftyone50

Hi all,
I've come across a few pairs of Prelude MTS - anyone who knows these speakers probably knows about their design flaw, the magnet coatings coming off after time and causing scratchy coils or locked up drivers.

I just wanted to share a possible solution for some who may have these speakers and junk drivers.

Basically, the prelude has very specific designed drivers, that can't be easily swapped with anything else... but I've found that the Dayton Audio ND 3.5" and 5.25" woofers can be made to work very well. I used 4 ohm ones for both positions, the regular infinity midbass measures 5 ohms, and the mid @ 4.

The infinity drivers are aluminum, and as such, the baskets can easily be trimmed with a good pair of diagonal cutters. I trimmed all the dayton woofers' frames right at the edge of the surround, the 3.5" can fit into the frame of the infinity mid, and the basket rim of the infinity woofers can be used as a clamp ring, for the 5.25". Some black butyl sealant between the new woofer frame and the old cast one, and voila! Drivers that fit very well into these openings.

I was told by some others, before doing this, that I couldn't use these cabinets and they would require a new crossover design - but the cabinets are nice, and for the price, I thought I'd try these drivers out. The MTS are supposed to be run high pass, which sets the cutoff at 80HZ.

I don't have them both done up for serious listening sessions yet, but my initial impressions, are they sound really good - much much better than the scratchy infinity drivers which I massacred to use for mounting solutions!
Hoping I'll get them both done up in the near future, and after some break in time, an A/B comparison between them and a fully working stock prelude set.

For now, I just wanted to throw this out there to any other possible owners, for roughly $140 each speaker, replacement drivers that can be made to work in these speakers.... if you have a bunch of junk drivers, might be a worthwhile solution to try.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=585905&d=1427394401
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=585906&d=1427394401

Watch it with the beryllium, don't sand it or make dust as it is Poisonous, too bad Infinity no longer supports their products, looks nice, can't wait till you compare it to the stock prelude.

Last edited:
Watch it with the beryllium, don't sand it or make dust as it is Poisonous, too bad Infinity no longer supports their products, looks nice, can't wait till you compare it to the stock prelude.

I'm aware of beryllium's toxicity in powder form, but safety is paramount, thank you for the reminder! ;)

I didn't see any other option of drivers to work in these cabinets, in all my searching. I tried to step the midrange up to the 4" model, but alas, it was too big! I had a few empty cabinets and a bunch of junk drivers - not sure I have enough junk drivers to mount them all this way, actually; but, at the time, it seemed like a great idea to give it a shot. Easiest approach for the mounting issues ended up being using the infinity basket frames. There's other ways around it, sure, but this was the easiest.

If anyone has a supply of garbage drivers for these, hit me up.

do they work now?

if so and they are cheap to buy, use them until you no longer can,what reviews I have read say they are pretty nice

if so and they are cheap to buy, use them until you no longer can,what reviews I have read say they are pretty nice

I have 2 pair working as they should.
I ended up with 4 extra cabinets though, I was trying to find the most practical solution to make them usable.

I was posting this in case someone else has a pair they'd like to try SOMETHING to get them usable again.

Back
Top Bottom