Is there a decent drop-in EMIT-R replacement?

AintBeenDead

Reference Four set (1990 or so I believe)

Asked on an old thread earlier about repairing mine, but I think it's beyond that point :(

Certainly I should have ohm'd out the tweets BEFORE re-foaming all the other drivers, but it just passed my brain completely. LSS: I already have more than I'd like in them, which isn't much, and the cost of one tweet on that auction site would be almost as much as I have in them.

They are just gonna be casual dining room speakers, so I don't need TOTL. But at this point, I need to at least complete them (I did one of my finer re-foam jobs if I do say so myself) :)

So, is there any decent drop-in in the correct Ohm rating out there? And not searching, and waiting. Just one I can buy from a site.

ugh...i guess you can look around parts express...you are going to have a tough time not only finding one that equals the power needed but also fits the opening....save your dollars and find some used ones...

Look for the smaller diameter Emit, the bolt holes will be the same, it will work just fine in the R's place. The only difference will be the dispersal pattern, and even that shouldn't be terrible.

my two cents Stu

Yeah, either way I'm paying about the same probably. Will just have to wait it out for a cheap one to show up.

In the meantime, can someone tell me the Ohm rating for the EMIT-R? I'll see if I have one around that I can at least hang in there to make sound until I find one. I really don't want to take the other out just to check.

they do come up on a regular basis. look for a 902-4578. it was used in the reference four, five, and six, which were 6ohm speakers. the 4ohm and 8ohm infinitys used different emit-r's (with different part #s), they all look the same but are not.

they do come up on a regular basis. look for a 902-4578. it was used in the reference four, five, and six, which were 6ohm speakers. the 4ohm and 8ohm infinitys used different emit-r's (with different part #s), they all look the same but are not.

Thank you, Sir.

One more question.

Could I use a pair of 6 Ohm Polycells from the reference series?

Provided they made/used a 6 Ohm tweet. And would they match the crossover set-up?

And also, what would the part number be?

Okay, so three questions ;)

It just looks like I could get a pair of Polys for less than an EMIT-R right now, and that would at least leave me one, and then I could be okay for years until I found an EMIT-R for really cheap (I've had a couple pairs of bookshelf Infinity before with Polys, wasn't super crazy about them, but they certainly weren't crap either. Hence why I wanted to try the EMIT-Rs).

spending money on something you really don't want is a waste to me...IMHO...I'd rather do without, save up, get what I want...

again, just me...

the the 6ohm reference one, two, and three (same series as your four) used a polycell rather than the emit-r, so they would be the logical donors. to replace the reference four's emit-r with the polycell used in it's lower numbered siblings (in theroy thereby creating a reference three) would seem like a simple swap, however, while the reference three and four share an identical midrange and woofer, they have significantly different crossovers depending on the tweeter. if you did swap in the polycell, i'd think you'd need to swap in a reference three crossover as well. probably more expensive than just buying a correct emit, and the polycell is never going to sound as good as the emit-r.

Attachments

• REFERENCE4.jpg
    REFERENCE4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 36
  • REFERENCE3.jpg
    REFERENCE3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
the the 6ohm reference one, two, and three (same series as your four) used a polycell rather than the emit-r, so they would be the logical donors. to replace the reference four's emit-r with the polycell used in it's lower numbered siblings (in theroy thereby creating a reference three) would seem like a simple swap, however, while the reference three and four share an identical midrange and woofer, they have significantly different crossovers depending on the tweeter. if you did swap in the polycell, i'd think you'd need to swap in a reference three crossover as well. probably more expensive than just buying a correct emit, and the polycell is never going to sound as good as the emit-r.

Gotcha. Here's another thing I found too. I pulled the tweet just to check ohm (the working one) and it's a 4 Ohm. The pair on the cheap were the 5.4s. I thought someone had said they should be 5.4s too, must have been my imagination.

Do you happen to have a parts schedule, or a link for the whole reference line?

That way I can just check, and for the future as these seem to be somewhat common (only series I've found).

Last edited:
spending money on something you really don't want is a waste to me...IMHO...I'd rather do without, save up, get what I want...

again, just me...

I agree on principle. However without making it a long story, they're already in place as there is nothing else to use upstairs anymore (have a generic 6 ohm tweet hanging in one now). So if another Infinity set spec'd out for almost half of of what one would cost; I'd rather buy those, use them and wait till I found an old beat up pair for $10 at a garage sale someday for my tweet, then re-sell the polys.

I'm not a man of means, so a long term budget/replacement of funds plan is what I'm always on :)

as i said above, the emit-r you need is 902-4578.

all the speakers in that early 90's reference series were 6 ohm speakers, but that does not mean any of individual the drivers will measure at 6 ohms on a meter. what that means is the combination of all drivers plus the crossovers present an average nominal load of 6 ohms to the amp. individual drivers will show a different measurement. your emit-r tweeters should show around 4 ohms.

reference one used the 902-4331 (3/4") polycell

reference two and three used the 902-4606 (1") polycell

reference four, five, and six all used the 902-4578 emit-r

the 902-4606 1" polycell is your option for a swap, but again you'd also need to swap in the reference three crossover into your reference four make it work to spec.

also, i don't know what your amp situation is, but any of the emit-r equipped reference series speakers are going to need at least 80 watts (preferably 100 or more) to give anywhere near what they are capable of.

I'd get an used tweeter from e-bay. With an account, you can add an "alert" to receive an email when e new emit is posted. Professional buyers are watching this items all the time, so you need to be fast once you see the part you want.

It will cost you like $65/80. If that is out of your budget, you could try to part out your speakers, and buy another pair with working tweeters.

Or, just put any $10 tweeter until you find the right one. But I wouldn't do all that crossover mod, as Loquatios stated, it will cost more than the right tweeters...

as i said above, the emit-r you need is 902-4578.

all the speakers in that early 90's reference series were 6 ohm speakers, but that does not mean any of individual the drivers will measure at 6 ohms on a meter. what that means is the combination of all drivers plus the crossovers present an average nominal load of 6 ohms to the amp. individual drivers will show a different measurement. your emit-r tweeters should show around 4 ohms.

reference one used the 902-4331 (3/4") polycell

reference two and three used the 902-4606 (1") polycell

reference four, five, and six all used the 902-4578 emit-r

the 902-4606 1" polycell is your option for a swap, but again you'd also need to swap in the reference three crossover into your reference four make it work to spec.

also, i don't know what your amp situation is, but any of the emit-r equipped reference series speakers are going to need at least 80 watts (preferably 100 or more) to give anywhere near what they are capable of.

Thanks. And yes, I do know a speaker is rated at a nominal impedance that's made up of how the the drivers and crossovers function together. I just thought I'd read in another post that the tweets in these were 5.4s, I shouldn't have mentioned it.

And upstairs were these are, I use a mid 80s JVC receiver. It is rated 100wpc, but would never get anywhere near pushing that much. I will not be driving these to the heights, just want them to be complete, and provide some nice sound :)

I'd get an used tweeter from e-bay. With an account, you can add an "alert" to receive an email when e new emit is posted. Professional buyers are watching this items all the time, so you need to be fast once you see the part you want.

It will cost you like $65/80. If that is out of your budget, you could try to part out your speakers, and buy another pair with working tweeters.

Or, just put any $10 tweeter until you find the right one. But I wouldn't do all that crossover mod, as Loquatios stated, it will cost more than the right tweeters...

I do have an alert set. But that's the problem with the price, I have only $65 in them now. Having to double that for one tweet is undesirable ;)

the $65-80 mentioned would reflect the price of a pair. i have a pair of reference four, reference five, and reference six which all use that same emit. i also keep a stash of spare drivers on hand, just in case. in addition, i have vintage 70s infinities, and i monitor the market daily. there is a 902-4578 on ebay right now for $44 (no aff.), but my experience is, if you are patient, you can get one for $35 or less. you can buy complete reference fours, fives, and sixes for less than the cost of parts these days, but thats where the market is, and why so many are being parted out. personally, i like that series and want to keep mine going. compared to sourcing parts for the 70s infinitys, finding spares for these is relatively painless.

Last edited:
Thanks. And yes, I do know a speaker is rated at a nominal impedance that's made up of how the the drivers and crossovers function together. I just thought I'd read in another post that the tweets in these were 5.4s, I shouldn't have mentioned it.

And upstairs were these are, I use a mid 80s JVC receiver. It is rated 100wpc, but would never get anywhere near pushing that much. I will not be driving these to the heights, just want them to be complete, and provide some nice sound :)

My RS-II's have much more pronounced and tighter bass even at low and moderate volume levels when driven by Emotiva SA-250 pushing clean 400 wpc at 4 Ohm, compared to Onkyo A-9070 pushing clean 140 wpc at 4 Ohm. I got the dedicated amp in order to improve performance (Onkyo going to protection) at higher volume levels but it was quite an eye opener to me how much the extra headroom improved bass even at low volume...

I second that, had Yamaha cr 1020 receiver 70/80 W

with my RSII for for seven years. One tweeter (emit) blew out. Since 1997 have powered them with Acurus a250 250 watts @ 8 ohms, 350 watts @ 4 ohms, with Yamaha cx-2 as preamp. Night vs Day difference, bass response and more important gigantic improvement in sound stage. The cleaner higher power you can provide will reward you with so so much better sound. :music::music::music:

Blasphemy perhaps, but since they'll be used as secondary or background speaks, how about putting a nice dome tweeter in there?

the $65-80 mentioned would reflect the price of a pair. i have a pair of reference four, reference five, and reference six which all use that same emit. i also keep a stash of spare drivers on hand, just in case. in addition, i have vintage 70s infinities, and i monitor the market daily. there is a 902-4578 on ebay right now for $44 (no aff.), but my experience is, if you are patient, you can get one for $35 or less. you can buy complete reference fours, fives, and sixes for less than the cost of parts these days, but thats where the market is, and why so many are being parted out. personally, i like that series and want to keep mine going. compared to sourcing parts for the 70s infinitys, finding spares for these is relatively painless.

I saw that one, comes in at $53 shipped. I am exactly trying to stay the the $35 and under range. Put them at an even $100 investment. I may go over a little, but not another $20. It's just a matter of principle at this point :)

Back
Top Bottom