Found Sansui 661 receiver, thoughts?

HatchetJack

Chillin' The Most
Picked it up at a thrift this morning for 10 bucks. All lights work, no scratchy
controls.Needs a clean up job but this thing sounds pretty good hooked to
some cheap Bose speakers here at work. I know its not TOTL or anything
and seems to be about about 25 wpc. Anyone else listening to one,
diamond in the rough or dog in the mud? keeper?

Looks like your right, it is either 25 or 27WPC, and it looks like a decent little unit. I'd keep if I managed to get one. I'm a sucker for vintage stuff though, especially analog tuners.

Post some pictures if you can, I like the look of that model.

I got one of these in good shape. Although I have had no reason to use it yet I have no reasons to get rid of it either.
Wish it had dual meters though.

Here she is but the picture doesnt do it justice even though the face plate
and knobs look like they have never been cleaned. Kind of a looker, think I
will open it up, blow it out, clean the pots,faceplate and knobs, steel wool
the case lightly and wipe some tung oil on it and finish it with some lemon oil.
It appears to be wood laminate and not vinyl. Might make a nice bedroom system with the blue green illumination.
DSC02486.jpg

Very nice looking unit. I remember when I first "noticed" audio gear (back in 1974; 9th grade) and this case style (2 knobs fronting the solid metal face on the right) was then Sansui's current line -- with the 881 at the top.

I'd say thats a score! It's units like this that keep me hunting the thrifts. A good friend picked up a 331 or 441 for 15 awhile back, It sounded really good for a 11 wpc reciever, and it lit up a dark green, very cool looking.

The 881 is on my short list. It is one of the few sansui receivers that have two AUX inputs and 2 tape inputs....really nice when your trying to hook up an ipod, a cdp, a tv, etc.

Last edited:
Keep that sucker!

That was my first receiver waaay back in the day when I was about 10.....always regretted trashing it when it blew the fuse....I'm on the lookout for anyhing of the xx1 series.

I have all receivers of this series, starting from the 221 up to the 881. All of them are great gear. Even the smallest one, the 221, sounds fantastic and has a stunning tuner aboard. You will have problems to find anything comparible looking at other brands.
And although the 661 on paper isn't a monster, he sounds powerful and clear.
Keep him - you will enjoy.

By the way, the complete series also contains the blackface models 7010(661), 8010(771) and 9010(881).

Back
Top Bottom