Trying to decide if I should econowave my Large Advets

Curtwheeler

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ever since I finished my KLH Model Fives my New Large Advents have been sitting idle. Lately I've been thinking of doing something with them. I know there is tons of info on econowaving the Large Advents, so much so that it's a little confusing.
I'd like to hear from any one that has done the conversion. There opinion of the sound difference?
This may be a stupid question, but here it is anyway. Is it essential to replace the stock crossover board. The compression driver I am thinking of using is a Dayton Audio DT250 T. Eight ohm and a frequency response of 800 to 1700 HZ. Also if I need to repace the crossover are the econowave crossover boards still available, and if so where. Thanks in advance for your help. Curt
Here's a picture of my Advents

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 48
Yes, you'll need to use the Econowave crossover; the CD has different electrical characteristics than the LA tweeter, and the waveguide also requires specialized EQ.

I owned Econowave KLH 17s for a couple of years, and if they were my Large Advents, I'd e-wave them in a hearbeat, but honestly - I wasn't a big fan of the Advents when they were brand new - always thought of them as muddy and rolled-off. This is my personal opinion - YMMV. When done right, the compression driver/CD waveguide sounds amazingly clean - like a ribbon or electrostatic.

Don't know if the crossover boards are still available; you can always wire the crossover point to point.

No question, once done you won't ever look back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I Ewaved two sets of NLAs and the difference is night and day. It actually makes you realize that the woofer on the NLA is pretty damn good and being let down by the fried egg tweeter. I also love the look of the NLA:)

To the OP, I checked with the guy who manufactured those E-wave x-over boards and he doesn't do them any longer.

Regarding the crossover boards, they really do make the job easy and very neat looking but wiring up the crossover point-to-point really isn't much of a challenge. 15-20 minutes of practice with a soldering iron should be good enough. You should learn it anyway since many bargain vintage speakers are in need of fresh caps and/or have a bad connection somewhere.

Search out crossover building threads to see nice neat examples (and terrible ones, too). A good photo of your work will allow someone to double check what you have done.

I've built 5 or 6 pairs of ewave type speakers but have never used the advent drivers. It is somewhat addictive. Post a WTB request in Barter Town and you may pick up a pair of lightly used crossovers and/or drivers from someone that has moved on to the premium compression drivers after trying the econo version.

The Dayton DT250T will not be a drop in replacement for the Selenium D220Ti. Probably close...but not quite....close enough? Spend the extra $0.04 for for the Selenium and avoid the question of needing to tweak the crossover. Or gamble a little and try the DT250P with the polyamide (mylar?) diaphragm...it may be smoother than the titanium version though probably not as nice as the premium B&C DE250 (bolt-on only). The D250P has been called a clone of the DE250...but it isn't.

Unfortunately Zilch passed before some of these newer high-value drivers hit the market so they haven't really been evaluated and documanted as ewave candidates.

The Advent mid woofers are pretty impressive, I'd like to have someone else e-wave some Advent 2s to tell me they are actually as good as I think they are.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I will post a ad on barter town for the crossover boards. I think I can build one if I can't find one. Donprice, Actually I was looking at the Dayton DT250P not the T that I mistakenly mentioned earlier. I liked the lower frequency range of the Dayton DT250p but your probably right about staying with the Selenium D220di as the crossover was designed for that driver. I haven't built anything from a schematic yet, but this may be the time.
About two years ago I replaced surrounds on the Advents woofers and recapped the crossovers. I thought they sounded pretty good till I got the KLH 5's I really like the midrange of the Fives.

Thanks again. Curt

Has anyone used the Dayton Audio DT 250 P compression driver with the Advents and Zilch's econowave crossover? I'm debating on trying the Dayton or playing if safe and using the Selenium D220Ti
If I don't get any feedback I'll probably go with the Selenium's. Thanks. Curt.

Curt, changing out the driver will require a complete redesign of the crossover. It is not "drop in". Best results for the sake of simplicity will be obtained by sticking to the recipe of the drivers that have been selected and proven already. Variations from the recipe will likely yield at best mediocre results. At worst, unlistenable honky, squawk boxes. I recently stumbled into some OLAs and Infinitys, one or both may soon be e-waved. I'm doing some reading to see what if any upgrades and improvements have been made over the originals.

Back
Top Bottom