First Re-Cap—Please Read AND Help

SierraBravo

Jesus Built My Turntable
Hello Everybody!

While I have Re-foamed many-a-speaker, I've never replaced any capacitors. The first set of speakers I've cared to care to replace the caps are some Smaller Advent Loudspeakers. I've ordered all the caps, etc., but to practice I have some Advent Legacy crossovers.

Long-story-short; I've cherry picked two pair of Legacy speakers and have two pairs of woofers, one pair of original tweeters and the best of the cabinets and grills.

My dilemma is that of the two pairs of crossovers, I have two different configurations, and no working knowledge of the difference.

I've attached two pictures of the crossovers networks. They are similar, with 6uF and 32uF capacitors and a wire wound inductor. One pair with 1989 date codes on the caps has just the caps and inductor, while the older pair, with '87 date codes, has a resistor wired in series with the capacitors. I don't know what difference this makes, but I know many of you do.

All I want is to see—errr, HEAR—what a re-habbed pair of Advent Legacy speakers sound like, and get a little crossover practice in the process. So my question is basically: which crossover should I put into my cabinets? With or without the resistor?

Many thanks,
Sam

P.S. After this test run, I re-cap a pair of Smaller Advent speakers, which will ultimately be stacked with another pair of SA's.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 40
Unless you have a tool to measure the inductor, or someone knows the value, I would replace the caps part for part and not make them the same. Hopefully you can find the inductor value, but then I am not sure which one you would go with. Are the drivers identical?

If the drivers and cabinets were the same for both versions, older and newer, I'd presume that the newer crossover design is better, absent contrary information. One hopes that any revisions were intended to improve the design.

Last edited:
Drivers are identical. The crossovers without the resistor are the newer ones, by two years. The purple caps and the crossovers themselves are dated 1987, while the blue caps are dated '89.

I'm going to recap both pair and eventually sell one I guess. I doubt my ears would be able to tell the difference. I was just curious if anyone knew how the two are different on paper.

Thanks, SB

Replace both caps. 32uf might be tricky to find but it is perfectly valid to parallel multiple caps to get the value you are looking for. for example madisound sells a bennic 31uf electrolytic and you could parallel it with a 1uf film.

You could also use 3 10uf films and a 2.2uf film. madisound happens to have 10uf films cheap.

This is what I have for a Leg II schematic. Courtesy of Spkrdtr.

The crossover on the right in your picture looks original.

I would go with this below schematic and if for some reason you feel the final sound has a tweeter playing a bit 'loud' you could slip in a series 1ohm resistor like the one in your other pic.

I dont see a resistor here on this schematic. :).

Attachments

• legacy.jpg
    legacy.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom