p2200 hum

mojoe

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a p2200 which hums through speakers. The hum does not change with volume or attenuation. My expectation is that this is likely to be an indication the main power caps need replaced. I don't have equipment to test the caps.

Would Adcom caps with the following specs be an appropriate replacement?
100 Volts
22,000 uF
85C

Size:
2 1/2" Diameter
4 5/8" Height

yes...both channels...and quite loud really. Nothing subtle about it. The hum is constant and consistent.

I thought it was a ground loop so I patched a ground loop interrupter into the input line...no help...plugged power cord into a completely separate home electrical circuit...no help.

I've had several power amps connected in this location and never had a problem with hum this bad. Now, the previous p2200 I owned before this one also had a faint hum...nothing like this though. I ended up letting it go to an engineer friend of mine who wanted to tinker with it. Then I found this one and couldn't help myself.

Finally got this beast on my bench. I had assumed I'd have to replace the main power supply caps to cure the hum but decided to recap the power amp boards and poke around first since the big caps are relatively expensive. During the recap, I found that one leg of D109 had been desoldered...weird. Could that alone cause the loud hum? I don't think I desoldered that diode myself by accident but it didn't look like anyone else had ever messed with the boards.

Anyway, I completed my recap and of course soldered the diode. The hum is gone. I'm feeling lucky about this one.

Back
Top Bottom