Yamaha CD-1

merrylander

AK Member
I have his pristine CD-1 that I have concluded was never adjusted properly. Unfortunately it takes a scope and I have sold mine. Sometime when I can afford to ship this beast. all 15kg of her, I will send it to someone who has a scope and likes Yamaha puzzles.

I have a scope (well, probably a half-dozen of 'em) but chances are that's a puzzle I could never solve... :-(

I have a scope and like Yamaha puzzles. I've always thought the CD1 was one of the most striking looking players even though I've never seen one in
Person.

Hope you find a good home for it Rob. The CD-1 you repaired for me is still working (even the motorized drawer) and sounds amazing for a first generation CD player.

Maybe I can borrow a scope locally as I would really like to get it running. It recognizes the CD and both drawers ride in and out but it just wont play.

Rob,
If you want someone to get her running for you I can do it. If you're looking to pass it on, I pass. I've got several extra project CD players in the storage closet already.

Axel, from The Vintage Knob says:
"A MONSTER, in every sense of the word.

Short-lived, too - the mechanically simplified CD-1a replaced the CD-1 very quickly, parting with the 2nd motorized drawer that was strictly dedicated to programming : the CD-1 had two completely separated displays and attendant buttons, one for play, one for programmed play !
Even better : there's an output balance ring, under the player, below the front.

A true pain to dismantle and gain access to any of the parts (let alone the motors), the CD-1 was not meant to be serviced :)
It was, however, the top player of the 1st generation in Japan, alongwith the Sony CDP-701ES. A successful fate the CD-1a and (very different) CD-2 both inherited, gaining respectively the "Component of the Year" and "Best product" awards in 1984 !

Dual 16bit DACs, 14kg on the balance, an amazingly complex disc-drawer arrangements, classy looks almost second-to-none the CD-1 is however extremely finicky to adjust.
Two manuals are necessary, one of which is essential : "Mechanical Adjustments" ; I own both but I won't even try to get mine to play CDs again - I'd need first to un-stuck the program drawer and that requires a complete dismantling :) "

... man, I love Yamaha, wanted a CD-1, and have round-about access to a scope. Oh well .... :) better left to those with spare time

Last edited:
I have a CD-1 that was given to me and I agree with Mark. It sounds very good. Right up there with the Sony CDP-707ESD.

Back
Top Bottom