Did my CR-2040 get killed by my infinities?

beathead

I just recently upgraded from a pair of Infinity RSM to Infinity RS 1.5 speakers.
Previously, I had acquired the CR-2040 after having tried a combination of 70s receivers, 80s separates and some modern receivers. The CR-2040 had ended my search. It powered my RSMs quite beautifully for the volume I listen to in my apartment.

That is between low volumes to occasional partying. This was sufficient to shake things in my apartment. The sound has always been very clean and the tuner is excellent.
Once I got the RS 1.5 (with the famed watkins woofers), I did notice that the bass (and hence the overall sound) had just got more tight and clean. This is exactly what I was looking for.

However, I did notice that they required way more juice (duh). I notice some clipping at 60% volume and the overload lights going off. So, I decided to keep the volume to reasonable levels while shopping for a decent 200w amp switching the 2040 duties to a pre-amp. But even at lower level, I would notice sub bass thumps that go off even when listening to talk on the radio. Turning the bass all the way down would not help with that.

As it turned out, I showed my girlfriend how to stream her podcasts to the stereo and although she had previously been unenthusiastic about the stereo, was not an active user.
This was a pleasing development that did not last long. The amp just stopped working while she was listening to a podcast and now it does not turn on.
What does this mean? Could it just be a fuse or did it go to protection? How do I get my amp back up, it's not a great time in my home without the music.

Hopefully it's just a fuse.

The overload light on those comes on quite easily. Never cared if it came on or not.

No lights, no nothing. So likely a fuse. I must check my speaker wiring for shorts. I'm going to replace the main power supply ceramic fuse and hopefully that fixes it. I love this receiver.

It's a rare thing to have a slow-blow fuse in a piece of SS gear. Even 'fast-blow' fuses aren't very fast unless the overcurrent is extreme.

Do not install a slow-blow fuse, IOW.

http://www.radioshack.com/10a-250v-...n1=brand&q=10A+fuse&prefv1=RadioShack&start=4

Edit: In general, 10A fuses don't pop unless there's a major fault. If the mains fuse has indeed been destroyed, and blows again once replaced, STOP! The unit most likely has blown output devices and replacing the fuse over and over may cause further damage.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that your receiver is damaged. Please do not simply replace the fuse and power it up!

Time to find a good tech.

Aaaarrrgh! Too late before I read your post. I had just gone and got a replacement fuse and powered it up. Right on power up, there was a spark, fizz and pop on the right hand panel attached to the heat sink block. And the dreaded smell. Well, now it's certainly a serious damage. I'm going to haul it to Sertech in San Jose and keep my fingers crossed that they can save it and not cost an arm and a leg. This nearly brought me to tears.

About to start working on my 2040 and browsing old threads, sad to see this one. How is it turning out?

Back
Top Bottom