Yamaha CR 3020

kydog

OK heading out this week to have a closer look at this receiver, I need a little advice on what to physical look out for and any other suggestions that can help me out:scratch2: I plan to take a set of headphones and a CD player just in case it's not set up to listen to:music: Thanks:thmbsp:

OK heading out this week to have a closer look at this receiver, I need a little advice on what to physical look out for and any other suggestions that can help me out:scratch2: I plan to take a set of headphones and a CD player just in case it's not set up to listen to:music: Thanks:thmbsp:

Don´t forget to eat your Wheaties.

If it works... buy it. :) if it doesn't work, buy it! :) Hopefully it's also in good shape.

I went over mine from top to bottom - no real Achilles heel that I came across...

Wheaties..Check:thmbsp: From the pictures it appears to be good shape ( well one picture of the front) Looks like I should pick this puppy up regardless:scratch2:

Wheaties..Check:thmbsp: From the pictures it appears to be good shape ( well one picture of the front) Looks like I should pick this puppy up regardless:scratch2:
If you ever imagine you'd like one, yes.

UPDATE: It's mine:thmbsp: After a 6 hour round trip from Parker Dam Arizona to Las Vegas Nevada, The Yamaha CR 3020 is in my possession:yes: Time for a few beers & food, I will post pictures with all the details tomorrow. In the mean time the serial # listed on the back is 02381:scratch2:

Case is in really good shape with small nick on left rear top panel, Faceplate & knobs all here in great shape and two lamps out. It's a crime that a receiver should weigh this much..Damn!!:nono: Stay tuned:thmbsp: btw I really like this receiver:D

Thanks:thmbsp: call me crazy but while cleaning this monster up I noticed there are no AC outlets in the rear:no::sigh: is this typical of some models :scratch2:multi/voltage switch but no plugins?

Last edited:
Canadian Model only has switched and unswitched outlets.Should have done your homework.

page 24 of service manual has the different AC power configurations.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/cr-3020.shtml

I see:yes: Not an deal breaker at all:no: Some issues so far: busted rear antenna, One stripped knob ( loudness inner black hub) Headphone level was working with lots of static but completely out now. Level meter and dial pointer lamps out. That's it as far as operational stuff.
Listening to Captain Fantastic through a set of Pioneer SE-700 headphones and the music sounds great:music:

busted rear antenna,
Some one probably tried to use it for a lifting handle.Bad idea.
Need a photo..:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Headphone level was working with lots of static but completely out now

Get some deox-it. Clean the headphone volume control as well as the actual HP jack contacts.

Last edited:
Level meter and dial pointer lamps out.
Contact Dave at dgwojo.com. Tell him the make and model and he will build you a complete relamp kit.

Did you pick it up? If so, then...?:lurk:

So after reading so much about the CR 3020 I went searching for it. Last week one was posted on the Las Vegas Craigslist for $1200 or best offer. I emailed to have a look but couldn't get to it until this weekend. Living in Tucson but working in Parker Arizona made it a three hour trip instead of seven:nono:

This hobby will introduce you to some strange circumstances and yesterday was no exception. When I knocked on the door a teenage boy opened it, The room was occupied with two other teens and the CR 3020 sitting on the table.I was actually dealing with a 18 year old young lady who came into this receiver via her late father. She had it for sale at a local swap meet for $50! A gentleman was kind enough to tell her that it was worth a whole lot more and to go home and do your homework before selling it here:yes:
I walked in seeing the computer opened to the Vintage Knob website and knew I wasn't dealing with a rookie as far as value goes:no: The issues with it were minor, Broken antenna, static in the headphone volume control,lamps out, chip on the rear panel and stripped loudness knob.

She knew the potential value but had no idea of the overall condition, They assumed if it worked it was as described in the posting " Excellent" condition:scratch2: After surveying the receiver and giving them the history of what she had and thanking her for not letting it go for $50, Negotiations started. I was not going to leave without it but not willing to over pay. We settled on $400:music: I was happy and the kids thrilled to have money in their pockets:thmbsp: I slightly pulled a muscle bringing it up a flight of stairs to take these picture for you guys! Can't open it up for a deoxit bath and inside look see until I get it home this coming weekend.

Attachments

• cr 3020 034.JPG
    cr 3020 034.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 116
  • cr 3020 035.JPG
    cr 3020 035.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 103
  • cr 3020 037.JPG
    cr 3020 037.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 120
  • cr 3020 020.JPG
    cr 3020 020.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 107
  • cr 3020 024.JPG
    cr 3020 024.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 111
  • cr 3020 013.JPG
    cr 3020 013.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
1020,2020& 3020 should all have the same ferrite rod ant.

Looks great so far..:thmbsp:

Some one probably tried to use it for a lifting handle.Bad idea.
Need a photo..:thmbsp:

From the looks of it, Appears as if the receiver weight snapped it in half:scratch2: when it was exposed in the open position

Back
Top Bottom