Anybody ever do a Onkyo TX4500MkII LED refurb?

Steez51

I have to replace the indicator lamps and want to go with LEDs. Wondering if anyone has done this and how. I've seen older posts but with no detail and being an electronic neophyte(but not skeerd) I'd love some feedback.
The access is tighter than a mouses ear and I know they must be soldered. Its apart on the bench and need some guidance.

Hi... I had all new LED lights installed in my very nice sounding Onkyo tx-61 receiver. It turned out nice I like the end results. It was very easy to do for me on this receiver because we used led bulbs that already came with a built in resistor to knock down the voltage. It was just a straight wire in a go for all but the dreaded powered volume plate, that bulb is in deep in the switch and hard to get to, it wasn't burnt out so we didn't mess with it. I'll Waite tell the original volume light goes out then do an led in there. Could be harder on your tx receiver to get the lights installed then mine was but sometimes on older gear there's more room to work on then the new receiver's.:music:

I've been in your receiver and came to the conclusion that changing bulbs was not worth the trouble. The placement in a plastic housing is more than hard to get to and getting old bulbs out was beyond me. I'm not a pro and there may be a trick to it that I don't know, but man that is one difficult piece of equipment to work in.

I've been in your receiver and came to the conclusion that changing bulbs was not worth the trouble. The placement in a plastic housing is more than hard to get to and getting old bulbs out was beyond me. I'm not a pro and there may be a trick to it that I don't know, but man that is one difficult piece of equipment to work in.
I quite agree...But this unit is nice, looks good, sounds good and I just want it complete. It will be quite a tedious undertaking but I've read posts about guys who did it. Just not a whole lot of detail on how

Ok lets maybe try it this-a-way

Can I mark the tuning string and remove the pulley in order to get at the indicator light board more easily?---Or will that foul up the tuning accuracy via the needle when I re attach it.

Attachments

• onk (1).jpg
    onk (1).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 25
  • onk (2).jpg
    onk (2).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 22
You do not want that string to come loose elsewhere. Mark the front of the pulley, tape the string in the pulley so it can't come out and be ever so cautious. You will need to find out what resistors and diodes will be needed to create DC for the LED and set it current at the correct ma. To do this you will need to be sure what voltage the lamp wiring is. The conversion for the milliamps will require the use of Ohm's law. I have had it explained to me, here on AK, but being a math flunky, I still don't get it.

heres a shot of the board that the 7 indicator lights are soldered to. I got 7 new LEDs from Dave today. Now...Should I assume that the wire with insulator on it is the hot lead? I don't have a meter and could use some guidance

Attachments

• tx board.jpg
    tx board.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 38

I did a straight across swap (incandescent to incandescent) on mine, i'm far from an expert but still managed it, and the old girl shines like new. Dang glad i gave it a shot too! I love that receiver.

Will be interesting to see the LED's.

I'm a very cautious fan of LED conversions but not with these Onks. Seen it done and that added visual pop makes that gun metal/tuner glass sleek thing rule.

Last edited:
I'm a very cautious fan of LED conversions but not with these Onks. Seen it done and that added visual pop makes that gun metal/tuner glass sleek thing rule.
Agreed. I'm leaving the dial display alone till the incands pop. The subdued sexiness these dials have is part of the attraction. Just doing indicators this go around....and a dial restring AAARRRGGGHHH

heres a shot of the board that the 7 indicator lights are soldered to. I got 7 new LEDs from Dave today. Now...Should I assume that the wire with insulator on it is the hot lead? I don't have a meter and could use some guidance

You pretty much can't do the swap without a dmm.

Good luck on that restring. (I have never done it and have learned to look at it with great apprehension.)

All the hand wringing about it has to have Steven Hawking laughing and wish there were 101s' on it to knock it down to size.....string should not rule us I say! Though.....I still need to look around to see if that 101 exists.

OK LEDs in but color is wrong even through original Onk green tinted paper.
Kind of a turquoise Realistic receiver blue. And.....Stereo and Tuner lamps don't come on when tuned correctly. Any ideas on either or both situations?

Attachments

• onklights.jpg
    onklights.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom