How did I do?

Chrozi

Been patient trying to get a decent beginner turntable/receiver/speaker combo on the cheap. After scouring craigslist and thrift shops, this is what I got:

Denon DP-23F turntable in BEAUTIFUL shape
Shure M97XE cartridge (new)
Akai AA-R30 in very nice shape, but I've noticed a low hum, might need to be re-capped.
Speakers were from a Sony HCD-F150 shelf unit, which is 100W per channel.

Once I have a few estimates on the value of the set-up I'll let you know what I paid.

...Once I have a few estimates on the value of the set-up I'll let you know what I paid.

Why play that game? Just tell us. The Denon tables are very nice, even their lower models. I think they only had a couple models you'd want to avoid, and I don't recall the 23 being a bad one. It's not their TOTL stuff, but it should do very well. The cart is a nice cart. Again, not Shure's TOTL, but nobody will complain about it as an entry into vinyl. Akai stuff is great, and it's often under-appreciated. Once you get the hum sorted out, you should be very happy. The Sony speakers? They made some nice models, but more often than not, they made some blah speaker models. Nothing terrible, but probably the weakest link in your chain right now.

As far as value? Just look at recent ebay completed listings and look for the average sold numbers. That will determine a pretty good value ballpark.

Not trying to play a game. I just didn't want what I paid to influence any estimates. I did do some ebay research, but I'd like to know what the pros would value it at. I'm pretty confident I'm on the low end but not a major steal.

Not to be a prick but only the Denon has any real value. The Shure is a nice cartridge also.

Why so worried about what's it worth. Just enjoy it.

He's young and is worried he may have paid too much, but thinks he got a deal.

Turntable with cartridge - $60 - I love Denon turntables.
Receiver - $60 I agree with statement this is good stuff often under the radar.
Speakers - $10 based on your statement they are from a shelf unit and there are only drivers?

So the max I would pay for this from different sources is $130, but I hope you paid less. It is possible with careful and patient shopping.

You guys are harsh!

So the turntable I paid $45

The cartridge I bought brand new online for about $70, which seems like the going rate. So the turntable/cart is definitely worth more than $50.
The turntable originally came with the Denon DL-110 cartridge, but unfortunately the cantilever was bent! I don't mean slightly askew, I mean I can see the crease half way up. D'OH!

The receiver I got for $30, sans hum it would would be a decent deal, I see them selling online for twice that plus shipping.

The speakers were technically free.

Thanks for your advice and estimates. I'll be sure to not sound so troll-y in future posts.

Regarding the hum, is it electronic (varies with volume) or mechanical? If electronic, then re-capping can help. If mechanical, and not too loud, best to live with it. Sometimes tightening the screws holding the power transformer in place can help with mechanical hum, or so I've read.

The turntable originally came with the Denon DL-110 cartridge, but unfortunately the cantilever was bent! I don't mean slightly askew, I mean I can see the crease half way up. D'OH!

Straighten it gently with tweezers and see how it sounds. Seriously.

You guys are harsh!

So the turntable I paid $45

The cartridge I bought brand new online for about $70, which seems like the going rate. So the turntable/cart is definitely worth more than $50.

The receiver I got for $30, sans hum it would would be a decent deal, I see them selling online for twice that plus shipping.

The speakers were technically free.

Thanks for your advice and estimates. I'll be sure to not sound so troll-y in future posts.

So you did well!

Now enjoy the system and remember it is your ears that you need to please.

:)

You did well...I would have invested in a new cartridge as well which you can take with you to other tables you will be picking up in the future. Keep an eye out for better speakers, and sound quality will go up a notch..enjoy..

Regarding the hum, is it electronic (varies with volume) or mechanical? If electronic, then re-capping can help. If mechanical, and not too loud, best to live with it. Sometimes tightening the screws holding the power transformer in place can help with mechanical hum, or so I've read.

The hum does vary with volume, thank you. I didn't notice it when I first got it but I was only playing FM. Perhaps it wasn't in use for a long time and now that I've been giving it a workout a weak capacitor blew.

Straighten it gently with tweezers and see how it sounds. Seriously.

I've read once the cantilever is compromised its finished. Some have said they would never subject their vinyl to an imperfect stylus. I did do a little bending to straighten it out and gave it a try. It sounded OK to me but I need to do a bit of comparing to see if I notice a drop in quality. Unfortunately this cart does not let you replace just the stylus.

Perhaps if its in decent shape I could re-sell it for what I spent on the whole rig!

Back
Top Bottom