MidCenturyModern For Sale thread

Got this motorized zero-gravity beauty today for my listening room (kids not included). Flip the switch and it skids down on the curved base. His and hers massagers, too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409354396.362294.jpg

And today, this one, a copy of the Eames Lounge Chair! It's a Selig, not a Herman Miller, bit it only needed a few minor repairs and it's working, and it sure didn't cost me the $4500 that a new Herman Miller version would run. A definite scroe.
a2utehah.jpg

And today, this one, a copy of the Eames Lounge Chair! It's a Selig, not a Herman Miller, bit it only needed a few minor repairs and it's working, and it sure didn't cost me the $4500 that a new Herman Miller version would run. A definite scroe.
a2utehah.jpg

I love my Selig, and like some others, I do think it's more comfy than the real deal.
Just curious: what do you pay for yours?

I've got one just like the one in the picture. For $200 at the local consignment superstore, I feel like I stole it.

It's a nice chair, for sure, but someday I'd like to replace the foam in the seat. After about an hour in it, my butt goes numb.

Paid $250, and $75 for the Contour Lounge-Chair. And I can already feel the need for a bit more padding. The metal support connecting the seat pan and the back broke loose of its bolt (cracking the plywood at that strain point); since the bracket is 'J'-shaped, when you would lean back, the bracket popped up through the seat like a strategically-placed butt hook. Fortunately, the damage to the seat cushion is tiny. I have a temporary bolt and backing plate until I create a nicer one. I still need to tighten up the tension spring, as it rocks back just a bit too easily.

The Contour, on the other hand, is deceptively comfortable, especially when it gets rotated to the 'launch' position.

For anyone in California who may be interested. I found this estate sale listed for tomorrow and Sat.

http://estatesales.org/los-angeles-ca-estate-sales/belair-midcentury-modern-453826/gallery?p=0

This cool Mid-Century Modern estate is filled with stylish period furnishings, scores of vintage ephemera and all sorts of interesting collections. Great finds include shelves filled with books and records, vintage Playboy and bodybuilding magazines, a massive stamp collection and little treasures throughout the home.

yrDJqOi.jpg

If any of you New England guys are really into this stuff, you may want to check out this auction in Franklin, NH, coming up on 2/22:

http://www.regalauctionservices.com/next.htm#Feb22

As the ad truly says, you can spend the year slogging through estate sales and not get anywhere close to this amount of stuff worth having.

Wife and I have been twice. It's mostly dealers bidding (one of whom, a well-known Boston one, outlasted us on a Mogensen sofa last year, very frustrating) who are looking to stock their stores. If you're in the market and willing to pay a dollar over wholesale, you can beat these dealers out and take something nice home.

Maybe I'll drag my carcass up there this year, but we don't need anything, and wife will not go.

Reading through some old posts on this thread and just thought I'd let anyone know how great this MCM auction is that Regal does. I attended this auction last winter. It was amazing. They go to Denmark and buy until they have containers full! They do this annually so it will happen again this winter. I scored a vintage Danish leather sofa for my music room.

Well, the chair is repaired (almost completely). The cracked plywood on the seat pan was more severe than I first thought, and the plywood had delaminated.
u6y8atat.jpg

The metal bracket connecting the pan to the back had broken through.
yvuza7uj.jpg

I ended up bracing it with some metal gate plates sandwiching the plywood, after several rounds of wood hardener and a final glueing with Gorilla carpenters glue before tightening the bolts.

8ujunyha.jpg

I'll have some more pictures later, but here's the final repair.

e3avuvym.jpg

pyhenute.jpg

It still needs more padding, but that's for another day.

Picked up some gorgeous chairs and a nice table a couple weeks ago. Chairs are Gold Medal and the table is Domino Mobler.

Attachments

• P9050001.jpg
    P9050001.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P9050007.jpg
    P9050007.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 35
Got an Eames-era tulip table and chairs today; the coolest part is that they all adjust up and down! Needs some TLC, but worth the $10 I paid.
4b9ea916b3fe7600a5559d9468545998.jpg

Back
Top Bottom