Amp in the closet/charging caps

uenjoymyself

Surrender to the flow
So its common knowledge that a stored amp suffers where a regularly used amp is healthier.

All of my gear gets used regularly or at bare minimum turned on and played once each quarter.

Except for ONE unit that I have stashed in the closet. For that unit I will drag an extension cord over and plug it in hoping that I'm keeping the caps charged by introducing electrons (life blood) to the unit regularly.

Is my thinking correct? Do I need to be running a signal through the amp and working the controls?

Is my method effective? Is there a better procedure to keep my stored amp healthy?

All input/ideas/facts welcome.

Last edited:
For those who would like to know

The amplifier in question is a fully functioning McIntosh 2205.

Oh, and..... Bump.

I would at least plug in some headphones and play some music through it.

Thanks for the reply!

I do lug the bohemith out onto the counter two or three times a year, hook it all up and listen to it for a day.

I was just wondering if the Closet method is helping anything or just a waste of time. :D

An open circuit does not draw any current.

That is why you should put the proper load on the amp, Speakers or headphones, and play some music.

Drag out a tuner and let your favorite station play for a day. :thmbsp:

I believe it is accepted that capacitors retain their usefulness longer if they regularly charge and discharge. However, I have many pieces of audio gear that I know sat idle for a couple decades without ever being powered up that seem to be functioning perfectly.

I bought an entire Heathkit rack of equipment a couple years back that is a good example of this. Of particular interest to me were the amps (AA-18-- and AA-1600) and the preamp (AP-1800). I bought them from the original builder who had the gear stored in a closet for more than 25 years, unplugged of course.

The gear appears to be functioning correctly and I use it in my main system. It may also be possible that the caps no longer have the ability to fully charge but at this point I have no reason to test them. I suppose it's possible I began using the gear very near the time the caps would have started failing. I have read the usefull life of a capacitor is 20-30 years. It seems reasonable to me that energizing the gear from time to time could extend that useful life.

I just bought an amp not having been used for 30 years according to its former owner. Since it was said to be broken I first connected it to a dbt. It appeared the mains plug was not connected internally, after solving that I had it playing over the dbt for some twenty minutes and then on the normal power supply. It plays fine apart for some "droning" that might not even be capacitor related (it is a capacitor coupled amp though, Sansui AU-555A).

To me it seems the fear of caps "dying" from not being used is much less necessary than often is proclaimed, except maybe for the real old tube related caps (50's / 60's) that already had a lower quality and had to deal with much larger voltages too.

Wow you guys, thanks for the replies to what seems to be a silly question. Sometimes, it seems, I get a touch of audiochondria.

I'll begin to worry about my equipment for no apparent reason other than its being ignored by me. After a couple of months without use I begin to stress.

I have reduced my collection to what I can use because IMO there is no sense in stock piling equipment just to have it. I have found that hording is not for me as it becomes unmanageable.(and quite stressful)

I have either sold off or traded up my stash to attain just the equipment I really want and can use.

I have decided to make room for the beloved McIntosh somewhere in my home and start using it regularly. It just does not belong in the closet!

Thanks again ladies and gents!!

Audiochondriasis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Audiochondriasis or Audiochondria refers to excessive preoccupancy or worry about having a serious audio related issue. This debilitating condition is the result of an inaccurate perception of the condition of ones audio equipment despite the absence of an actual failure or malfunction or condition.[1] An individual suffering from audiochondriasis is known as an audiochondriac. Audiochondriacs become unduly alarmed about any audible, inaudible or imagined symptom that they detect, no matter how minor the symptom may be, and are convinced that they have, or are about to be diagnosed with, a seriously expensive repair bill and or loss of audio equipment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom