What transformer?

What transformer? One that connects to a device with the power switch on the PRIMARY side of the transformer, so it may have a chance of lasting longer. At least there is a fuse there, but it's still not an optimal design for a cord connected (consumer) device.

It appears that if you want a clone you can install any 15VA 230/115V primary transformer, such as:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/70053K/TE70053-ND/154922

if in 120v it has to handle at least 250mv that is cutting it very fine though .. 1 amp or more will be sufficient i think .
on another note i remember when the motors were also the transformer for other stuff or did i have a nightmare ?

Lol....

Essentially look at output. 30vac 500ma.

That will support the device.

Huffin n puffin about input current is irrelevant as it will draw what it needs.

Just make sure primary voltage is set correctly.

Pete's theory isn't all wrong. For a device which cannot be turned off except by unplugging, a little reserve might be a good thing. With the primary staying saturated constantly, it's going to live a warm existence. If it fits, and for the minimal cost differential, a few more VA isn't the worst thing a guy could do. Still, the math says 30VA should handle it, albeit with a pretty skinny reserve.

A few extra VA wont hurt.... Pete just got a little muddled up with the 250ma bit.

In 240V secondary should see 30VAC that can sustain 500ma.
In 120V secondary should see 30VAC that can sustain 500ma.

As this is what the device requires.

At 15VA
The primary on 120v will draw 125ma
The primary on 240v will draw 62.5ma

What transformer? One that connects to a device with the power switch on the PRIMARY side of the transformer, so it may have a chance of lasting longer. At least there is a fuse there, but it's still not an optimal design for a cord connected (consumer) device.

It appears that if you want a clone you can install any 15VA 230/115V primary transformer, such as:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/70053K/TE70053-ND/154922

Hi, The T1 power transformer from the schematic. It says AC30V?

Hard to find one so far.
Thank you !:thmbsp:

Yes, SL-Q2. Not for me but, a friend is looking for the information.

THANK YOU.

I'm the friend. Thanks, John!

Reading schematics and diagnosing electrical problems is far from my strong suit. In fact, I'm not at all sure of my diagnosis. All I know is there's power getting to the transformer and, if my method of checking is correct, not leaving the transformer.

First, I should point out that the schematic available to me, and also to John, is for a different version of the SL-Q2 from the one I have. The schematic shows a multivoltage switch and a 125mA fuse before it and another fuse, 400mA, after the transformer. My table has no fuses and no multivoltage switch. In addition, the power transformer itself is different, the part number being different from the one in the parts list of the service manual.

Anyway, back to the table. It's stone dead. I get voltage to the transformer so the power cord is okay. What I've done to check for power from the transformer is to measure between each of the two pins where the dark blue wires from the transformer are connected to chassis ground and also across the two pins. My DMM is set to 200VAC. I get nothing. If this is the right way to check it, this tells me that the transformer's not putting out but I'm so unsure of myself around this stuff that I don't want to assume that I'm correct.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
John

TechnicsSL-Q2Transformer.jpg

You should measure AC voltages between the two blue wires coming out of the transformer. Measuring to chassis ground won't tell you anything useful. (although I would expect to seem some voltage)

One possible (if it will fit - 3.4 inches in diameter) http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=30
For 120 volt operation, wire two primaries in parallel. For 30 volt output wire secondaries in series.

Last edited:
A few extra VA wont hurt.... Pete just got a little muddled up with the 250ma bit.

In 240V secondary should see 30VAC that can sustain 500ma.
In 120V secondary should see 30VAC that can sustain 500ma.

As this is what the device requires.

At 15VA
The primary on 120v will draw 125ma
The primary on 240v will draw 62.5ma

i might be muddled up ..as i see it on the diagram its set for 220v at 125ma fuse ..the amps will double at 110v will it not ?
bearing in mind this is the fuse rating and should be in safe limits for the transformer .

look for 30v ac across the dark blue wires . if no volts check mains fuse .if still no joy set to ohms 200 scale and check across mains plug unplugged of course i would expect around 30 ohms . if good then check ohms on the blue wires

Last edited:
You should measure AC voltages between the two blue wires coming out of the transformer. Measuring to chassis ground won't tell you anything useful. (although I would expect to seem some voltage)

One possible (if it will fit - 3.4 inches in diameter) http://www.antekinc.com/details.php?p=30
For 120 volt operation, wire two primaries in parallel. For 30 volt output wire secondaries in series.

This looks very good, does it come with instructions on the hook ups?:scratch2:

I have seen transformer come in a box without anything else.:sigh:

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Last edited:
You should measure AC voltages between the two blue wires coming out of the transformer.

Thanks! That's what I did first, not knowing whether I was supposed to see AC or DC on the output side. I got nothing.

Measuring to chassis ground won't tell you anything useful. (although I would expect to seem some voltage)

No, nothing that way either but, of course, that's not surprising given that I got nothing the correct way too.

Thanks for the link! That one just might sneak in there but it would be very tight. Think hockey puck. ;) I'll have to check.

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

John

look for 30v ac across the dark blue wires .

Thanks, that's one of the ways I checked it. It's dead, apparently. I got no voltage.

if no volts check mains fuse .if still no joy set to ohms 200 scale and check across mains plug unplugged of course i would expect around 30 ohms.

No mains fuse in the unit but the first check I ran was to verify that I was getting 115VAC to the transformer. I was. (Actually, I was getting 121VAC.)

if good then check ohms on the blue wires

I checked that too. As I recall, I was getting around 18 ohms.

John

Last edited:
I am surprised that this is not a popular transformer?

Oh well, the puck looks promising.

Later,

I am surprised that this is not a popular transformer?

Oh well, the puck looks promising.

Later,

Well, it looks like Matsushita used a lot of different power transformers in the Technics turntables. Plus, this model is 33 years old so NOS is almost certainly depleted.

I've got a saved search and an RSS feed set up on eBay for "Technics Transformer". We'll see.

Thanks again, John, for starting this thread!

John

Back
Top Bottom