Dahlquist DQ18 as replacements for Bose bookshelf speakers?

punkzter

Brad
I've found a pair of Dahaquist DQ18s for sale locally for $200. The seller also has a "less perfect" pair for $150.

I could probably audition them in my system, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them? It would definitely be a hassle to get these into my car and then return them.

I have 2 systems right now. One uses a Technics SA-DA8, which is 100wpc and can do bi-amp. The other is a Yamaha CR420 (22 wpc).

I think that these speakers would go best with the Technics.

My current speakers are Bose Series IV bookshelf speakers and ADS L420 bookshelf speakers. The bose are currently hooked up to the technics.

Check the surrounds for rot; they're not that hard to redo, but it gives you a bargaining chip. The Yamaha would be too small for these unless the room is also very small. They should work OK with the Technics, although they're revealing enough that you would likely hear the difference with a later upgrade to the amp as well.

The big question for me would be: can you fit them properly in your room? To really shine, they need to be away from the side and back walls.

If you can fit them in right, and the condition is good, you'll be amazed.

Big enough to give you some room to position the speakers, but not so large that they can't fill it.

The big difference that I could see would be a much more spacious sound, due to the open baffle mounting; the Bose 301's try to do this, but are limited by their bookshelf location.

The nice thing about buying used gear is that you can usually get your money back out of it, as long as you're reasonable about what you buy. If it were me, I'd try to get the better pair for $175, unless you feel confident about repairing the "less perfect" pair. If it's just cosmetics and not function, it's your call as to what you want to handle. Putting on a coat or two of Howard's Feed and Wax is easy, replacing torn and snagged grillle cloth is harder.

I haven't decided yet. I'm in an apartment, and I don't easily have the space to set these up with the 3' clearance. And then I don't have the storage space to put away the old speakers and stands. So I'm still thinking about it.

Yes, optimum setup would be three feet from a wall maybe even more but a foot or two with nothing solid between them will yield spectacular results especially in comparison to your current bookshelves. Given their appreciation on the open market I am sure you can find a new home for them if they aren't your cup.

You might even make some money.

Good luck

Eric
I wish I was closer. I'd take both pairs.

And...I've found very little information on the DQ18s...are they as popular as other models? Do you know where I can find some info (efficiency, for example)?

Even with an Expedit standing on end between them my DQ-30s, 20s and even a pair of 10s were delightful and even then I knew they weren't performing to their full potential they still easily outshine pretty much all comers.

Go get em.

Eric

I'm going to visit the speakers Monday. As far as rot and re-foaming goes, is there anything that I should be paying attention to?

I'm going to visit the speakers Monday. As far as rot and re-foaming goes, is there anything that I should be paying attention to?

I'm not sure what type of surrounds they used on the 18's, but they're not that old. Surrounds may still be ok even if they're foam - if rubber, than you don't have to worry about them.

An update. The seller, who is unloading quite a bit of testing and audio equipment, and from whom I have bought quite a bit of testing equipment, let me borrow the "lesser" of the two pairs to see how they would work in my system and my room.

They sound good. I am not sure if I love them. They seem to lack some of the bass that my Bose speakers have, and they also seem to have a narrower range of frequency response. i.e. the bass just drops out at times.

I want to do some A/B testing, to see how my bose speakers compare on similar tracks.

DQ-18 and 28 specs

I wanted to post this though. The attached pdf has the specs for the DQ-18 and 28. The DQ-6c is there, but some are cut off.

Attachments

• Dahlquist DQ 18.pdf
    568.2 KB · Views: 30
There's something not right with the DQs if they don't easily out perform the Bose bookshelves.

Check to see if all the drivers are functioning. Check them with a tone generator and also let them run at medium volume for several hours if not days and see if the caps and the drivers themselves don't come back to life with some use.

Are these the metal or wood framed model?

Can you take some photos and post them both with and without the grills. Shots of each driver and of the crossover would be wonderful too.

Thanks
Eric

I have a HP 651B signal generator that ranges from 10 Hz to 10 MHz. (I just picked this up from the same seller). Is this going to work as a tone generator?

I also downloaded an app for my phone that will generate tones. I'm just testing the range?

I believe that they are the metal framed model. The reason that they are the "lesser" of the two is that the magnets holding the grill to the frame were removed and the grill is now held in place with some sticky tack. It's not great at all. And the grill is hard to remove...or at least hard to put back once it's been removed.

I would look for some other option to use if I purchased these. There is also a split in the wood around one of the screws that holds the metal frame in place. I would need to fix this at some point.

Finally, the wood is particle board, and its somewhat scuffed at the bottom of the speakers.

Sounds like those are all cosmetic issues; good for negotiating down the price, and relatively easy to fix, even if you're not technical, but had a few basic tools.

In addition to 62Sunbeams' advice, be sure to try moving them to different positions in the room. Bass response is especially sensitive to positioning.

Yeah, I'll play around with them tonight. The bargained asking price for these was $100. He wouldn't budge on the $200 pair.

To be honest, my biggest complaint is that these kind of stink. They were kept in the basement, and just have a musty and "catty" odor. I'm hoping that it passes.

Back
Top Bottom