Tear Jerker: One that Got Away

SierraBravo

Jesus Built My Turntable
Found a GORGEOUS Marantz 2226B at Goodwill last night. So clean it looked like it had been babied and treasured by an original owner and then donated by their kids when he or she passed.

Plugged her in and all the lamps worked. Didn't have any gear with me to test inputs or outputs. The price was $129.99, which is high for anything at GW, but just look at this picture. It was 7 PM, they closed at 8. I didn't have that much money with me.

They reopened at 9 AM. I had to go to a kindergarten "awards ceremony" at 9, and I got a big chunk of metal in a tire. Car at shop from 10-12. Then a quick bite to eat. Parent pick-up line at 2. Got back to GW about 3:30 and of course she was already gone.

I nearly cried. Should have hauled my butt home last night and gone back right then. Planned on being there at 9 AM but forgot about the kindergarten thing, which was more important of course. Live and learn.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 220
Nice looking receiver. I think GW had it priced about right. I'd say a nice working one unrestored would be in the $150.00 range. Still too bad it didn't last until you could get back and get it. I'd check that GW the next few days, maybe more pieces from that set may be put out.

You will only get one kindergarten awards ceremony... there are thousands of Marantzs waiting for you. (Trying to be positive here).

Dam kids. Look on the bright side someone else is veryyy happy.

Ps. No credit or debit card????

Overpriced and nothing special here; (yes I own one) and there'll be others that will come along to fill the void. You did have your priorities correct by choosing the kindergarten awards first:thmbsp:

Family first!!

I just started this journey a week ago and I already realize it's like fishing, not shopping.

I rarely carry much cash, but I think I'm going to need to start.

All great comments. There will be other opportunities at some point, trick is to be ready when they appear.

GW takes checks around here, so I always make sure to have the checkbook on hand since I don't often carry much cash myself.

Last edited:
I already realize it's like fishing, not shopping.

I rarely carry much cash, but I think I'm going to need to start.

Yep. It's definately like fishing. And as a fisherman (I live in SW FL and fishing is one of a few passions), there is another saying: there's a reason they call it fishing and not catching.

Also agree with everyone who said family first. I would not change yesterday for anything. I didn't need to be there to pick her up from school yesterday, but Vanessa specifically asked me if I could come too. How do you say no to that? It was all worth it for that one extra kiss.

All these comments give me the warm fuzzies. Thanks for being such a great community of human beings!

A big virtual hug to all.

SB

Brings to mind Louis CK's comments about parents filming (with phones) their kids doing everything. "Your children are in HD! Watch them instead!!"

On the other hand, I completely understand the disappointment of losing the item. In my experience, most of my expenditures and most of my time and effort go to raising my daughter. There is really not much time or energy left for myself. I think my experience is pretty common among parents.

So this past weekend, my wife wondered aloud why I was buying a $20 receiver I found on CL, when I already have plenty of stereo gear. I told her that it's something cheap I can do that will make me happy that does not involve our child. I did something for myself.

Found a GORGEOUS Marantz 2226B at Goodwill last night. So clean it looked like it had been babied and treasured by an original owner and then donated by their kids when he or she passed.

Plugged her in and all the lamps worked. Didn't have any gear with me to test inputs or outputs. The price was $129.99, which is high for anything at GW, but just look at this picture. It was 7 PM, they closed at 8. I didn't have that much money with me.

They reopened at 9 AM. I had to go to a kindergarten "awards ceremony" at 9, and I got a big chunk of metal in a tire. Car at shop from 10-12. Then a quick bite to eat. Parent pick-up line at 2. Got back to GW about 3:30 and of course she was already gone.

I nearly cried. Should have hauled my butt home last night and gone back right then. Planned on being there at 9 AM but forgot about the kindergarten thing, which was more important of course. Live and learn.

THINK LONG..THING WRONG...is what I always say. This same senerio has happened to all of us at one time or another. You can't win'em all.
Anytime you come across a piece of audio equipment that you desire do what it takes to get it right then and there. Don't wait or contemplate about it because by the time you go back for it....well it's too late, it's gone. As in this case you found out.

Last edited:
Very true!!!

Even to the point of hanging on to the item while in the store. Make up your mind before you put it back, because it won't be there when you go back even in store.

I got a Yamaha CA1010 that way. It was at the electrical test station plugged in Class A and quite warm and unattended. All by itself! I unplugged it and carried it over to a cart. I didn't let it go until I paid the cash.

It worked like a charm right from the start! No static on the controls, clean, and very beautiful!

The cost of a Marantz 2226B?- $129.99. The cost of seeing the kindergarten awards ceremony?- Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom