KR 6400 bad preamp?

HeyJB

My knowledge of older stereo equipment is very limited, so please excuse any ignorance

I dug a KR 6400 receiver out of my parents' basement, circa 1978. When I hook up my turntable to either phono inputs the sound was distorted and volume would cut in and out when jiggling dials. Using the turntable's preamp and connecting to the Aux port works fine.

Is this likely a bad preamp board in the receiver?

Chances are that the switches need a thorough cleaning with a good deoxidizing cleaner, like Caig DeOxit.

What model turntable? You mention it has a preamp. When you connected it to the phono inputs, did you use the preamp?

Rob

Chances are that the switches need a thorough cleaning with a good deoxidizing cleaner, like Caig DeOxit.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

What model turntable? You mention it has a preamp. When you connected it to the phono inputs, did you use the preamp?

Rob

The turntable is an AT LP50 (not vintage). I turned the turntable's preamp off when connected to the phono jacks on the receiver... I got nice clear sound for a few seconds at a time when jiggling the dials.

Wouldn't ya know it, dexoit did the trick! Thanks for the info.

Now to find a nice vintage TT...

Back
Top Bottom