ServiceBulletinMods

sorry to be such a Q&A guy. I really need to learn when to use film, metal film, wire wound, ceramic, electrolytic, etc... That stuff is beyond me right now.

thanks again.

sorry to be such a Q&A guy. I really need to learn when to use film, metal film, wire wound, ceramic, electrolytic, etc... That stuff is beyond me right now.

thanks again.

Power rating determines type since I don't think they make a 3.5 watt metal film resistor.

This brings back memories as the CR 2020 was my first recap. I love the sound but they are hard to work on (compared to some other brands I've worked on). I still have to recap my friends 2020.

Power rating determines type since I don't think they make a 3.5 watt metal film resistor.

This brings back memories as the CR 2020 was my first recap. I love the sound but they are hard to work on (compared to some other brands I've worked on). I still have to recap my friends 2020.

To a point, different types are used for various power ratings... but then there are lots of options in the <1w category... it's a preference thing mostly I think.

2020 hard to work on?? Maybe a bit... it's not an 820, that's true. But I'll take a 1020/2020 over a Pioneer SX3800 any day of the week. Once you get a few key parts out of the 2020, it's really not that bad.

ok, broken trace on the circuit board. came right off with now forcing. wtf.. so, how to fix it? run wire from point to point, or solder it by the old trace? and try to connect?

He made a whole new pcb.

Use the tails of the new parts to make connections where the trace is gone, or small pieces of wire.

sent from the 2nd galaxy with tapatalk

He made a whole new pcb.

Use the tails of the new parts to make connections where the trace is gone, or small pieces of wire.

sent from the 2nd galaxy with tapatalk

Thanks man. I ended up using a small segment of hookup wire to connect the two points. multimeter says their connected. cross my fingers on that one.

so, the 10ohm resistor is ok, even though the original white one was a 22ohm like the others?

also, I dont have any thermal paste, or whatever was used behind the transistors. what can I use? only thing I have is JB Weld.

I picked up the 10ohm resistor you mentioned, but isnt it supposed to be 22ohm?

Just a quick note. I was second guessing the use of the 10 ohm resistor because my 2020 had a 22ohm installed in that space. I see now that underneath the part is the board asking for a 10ohm. so, seems the wrong part has been there for a long time.

thought it was interesting.

The original transistor heatsinks were glued to the board, but they dont need to be right? It seems to me that leaving a little space at the bottom would be better for ventilation yes? Should I mount the transistors slightly off the board? hard to tell what others have done. mounting the sinks flush to the board doesnt seem smart, but there may be a reason I dont know about.

The original transistor heatsinks were glued to the board, but they dont need to be right? It seems to me that leaving a little space at the bottom would be better for ventilation yes? Should I mount the transistors slightly off the board? hard to tell what others have done. mounting the sinks flush to the board doesnt seem smart, but there may be a reason I dont know about.

They were glued to the board originally, probably because glue is cheaper than TO-220 insulator kits. With no insulator the heatsinks are at opposite DC potentials, makes for lots of sparks if they touch.The ventilation was supposed to come freom all those little holes that unfortunately got mostly filled with glue.

They were glued to the board originally, probably because glue is cheaper than TO-220 insulator kits. With no insulator the heatsinks are at opposite DC potentials, makes for lots of sparks if they touch.The ventilation was supposed to come freom all those little holes that unfortunately got mostly filled with glue.

So should I mount them flush with the board with some kind of glue, or let them hover slightly above? I've cleared the ventilation holes, so there will be that.

If I am to glue them, what should I use? would the JB weld work here?

Last edited:
I only ever mounted them such that the heatsink was flush with the board. A couple of time I tried the gel type cyanoacrylate (crazy) glues but it never held well.

My own CR-2020 has multi finned heat sinks that I found at Radio Shack, gives better cooling.

I found that there is more room to use bigger heat sinks when new smaller caps are installed on that board. I found something appropriate at my local electronics supply. I was disappointed with RS's retail store. With stuff like this, were size matters, I don't trust my ability to choose the right one from a website.

Steve

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom