I bought an RX-396 Amp for $50.00

RecordKid

I had no idea what to look for when I was looking for an amp for my first record player in years, a Sony PS-LX300USB.

So I picked up the RX-396 Natural Sound for $50.00 on Craigslist.

Should I have bought a newer model or do you think this will suffice?

Should I buy an amp from every brand to figure out what sound I want or to play with different sounds? I just bought this amp because of the price and the "Natural Sound" moniker. I haven't heard other amps with my player to compare.

My setup:

Record Stylus: Audio Technica - ATN-3600L (Cost: $20.00 CA) -> It came with a Sony stylus which I think is better quality but it kept skipping/scratching my records after a couple months, so I switched it. Could it have lasted longer? Maybe I treated it badly?

Record Player: Sony PS-LX300USB (Cost: $105.00 CA)
Amplifier: Yamaha Natural Sound RX-396 (Cost: $50.00 CA)
Bookshelf Speakers: Sony SS-H3800N (Maximum Input Power 100W - does this mean it can output 100W? or does it split into 50W? for two speakers) (Cost: $25.00 CA)

TOTAL: $200.00 CA

It sounds okay for an entry level system. What should my first upgrade be to make the sound quality better?

Last edited:
Welcome!

The older RX series are very nice receievers at good prices - I think you'll be quite happy with it.

It sounds good, but I'm looking to do cheap (if possible) upgrades to it... I'll keep searching the forums for things to do to achieve a better quality sound.

It's nice to meet you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Yamaha. As you get more gear i am sure you will appreciate the sound quality and build quality.

Last edited:
I have a question, the sound now seems hollow and flat compared to my Logitech Z506 5.1 computer speakers, Sony record player's built in pre-amp and the original Sony stylus.

My new Audio Technica stylus is a slight upgrade over the Sony one that comes with it, or maybe mine is worn.

The FM Tuner sounds pretty good, the bass is the best point, the vocals are almost perfect for radio reception, pretty vibrant but sometimes semi-flat during music but not 100% flat. Vocals during radio prgrams without music is pretty perfect.

Do you think the Yamaha amp is the weak leak or is it the Sony speakers? (I'm assuming the speakers, as one forum said, "is the weak/best link").

Maybe it's actually my stylus? Maybe I should buy a better one? I heard an ATN3600DLX would be a much better fit? http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXI.html or http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN3600DLXSE.html

Thank you.

Last edited:
Do you think the Yamaha amp is the weak leak or is it the Sony speakers? (I'm assuming the speakers, as one forum said, "is the weak/best link").
Experiment with speaker placement. Make sure there wired "in phase" ..

I will try to do so. But why would the FM Tuner at some points sound equal to the Sony Record Player with AT stylus?

I have a feeling maybe the stylus is causing the lack of perfect sound issues. I will buy a better one and think more thoroughly after that... if it doesn't get better, maybe pin the lack of perfect sound on the speakers or the amp. I'm thinking maybe the speakers.

Hi. Welcome to the site.

Your Yamaha receiver is BY FAR the best part of your system. I have one too. It's not high end, but it sounds terrific for the price. If you want to upgrade your system, I would suggest finding better speakers first, then a better turntable. I had one of those cheap Sony turntables once. My crappiest current turntable, an 80's Technics P-mount, sounds much better... and even with the new Grado Black I bought for it, it was still half the price of the Sony - which I sold.

Hi. Welcome to the site.

Your Yamaha receiver is BY FAR the best part of your system. I have one too. It's not high end, but it sounds terrific for the price. If you want to upgrade your system, I would suggest finding better speakers first, then a better turntable. I had one of those cheap Sony turntables once. My crappiest current turntable, an 80's Technics P-mount, sounds much better... and even with the new Grado Black I bought for it, it was still half the price of the Sony - which I sold.

Thanks for the information. What makes your older record player sound better? (Let's forget about the higher end stylus and just pretend it's the same one I have - a generic Audio Technica) Is there something with the quality vs. the plastic kids style players of today that makes the stylus work better on the records surface?

I think you're right, about looking for new speakers first. I will probably buy new, if they aren't good, I can bring them back... or I'll find a way on how to pick out good sounding old speakers on this website. :tresbon:

The logictech system has a subwoofer that may be over-emphasizing the 40-60 Hz range that makes it sound fat where your speakers sound thin. One solution is to add a subwoofer to your system. I'm not familiar with the RX-396..but a quick search shows doesn't indicate a subwoofer output. No problem, look for a powered subwoofer with speaker-level inputs. A little luck and $50-$100 should go a long way on a used sub.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. What makes your older record player sound better? (Let's forget about the higher end stylus and just pretend it's the same one I have - a generic Audio Technica) Is there something with the quality vs. the plastic kids style players of today that makes the stylus work better on the records surface?

I think you're right, about looking for new speakers first. I will probably buy new, if they aren't good, I can bring them back... or I'll find a way on how to pick out good sounding old speakers on this website. :tresbon:

Another option as opposed to buying new is to read the speakers forum for a general idea of brands/models of speakers which are generally liked.

Without going big budget it seems massed produced Chinese imports are the only new choices.

Once you get an idea of what to look for spend a few days searching craigslist, you will be surprised what shows up for often great prices.

Don't limit yourself to the 'electronics' category either, mind blowing what will show up under furniture, appliances, etc.

In the speaker forum you may even find someone near by willing to let you hear some of theirs.

I agree with jstewa77. There are GREAT deals to be had on older speakers if you patiently watch craigslist and/or visit your local thrift stores often. It takes a little while to research what brands/models are a good "bang for the buck" and also easy to find, but just to get you started, research and keep a look-out for Polk, Boston Acoustics, and Advent models (there are others too). I recently picked up a smaller set of Boston Acoustics HD7 at the thrift store, then refoamed the woofers. They sound terrific hooked up to the Yamaha, and I spent a total of about $60. Being small, they don't go really deep, but they're smooth and accurate and they image very well. I've seen similar (larger) models on local craigslist, already refoamed, for $80 - $125.

…the sound now seems hollow and flat compared to my Logitech Z506 5.1 computer speakers…
…Do you think the Yamaha amp is the weak leak or is it the Sony speakers?
Neither your Logitech Z506 5.1 computer speakers nor the Sony SS-H3800N speakers can serve as real sound quality test devices for HQ sound amp.

Only a pair of HQ full-range speakers (having a nearly linear acoustical output from ≈30 Hz up to 16…20 kHz) could give a real idea of a sound system’s quality. Unfortunately, non-existent in the “consumer” market sector.

Some solution for the problem may be achieved with a good graphic equalizer (at least 10 bands and the lower frequency slider not higher than at 31 Hz), but not decisive, because a strong “lowest octave” bass boost needs a very high power excess and can cause heavy distortion or even LF speaker damage.
…the sound now seems hollow and flat…
My new Audio Technica stylus is a slight upgrade over the Sony one that comes with it, or maybe mine is worn…
Maybe it's actually my stylus? Maybe I should buy a better one?
TT, cartridge and stylus quality parameters have nothing to do with amplifiers’ parameters.
The FM Tuner sounds pretty good, the bass is the best point, the vocals are almost perfect for radio reception, pretty vibrant but sometimes semi-flat during music but not 100% flat. Vocals during radio programs without music is pretty perfect.
…why would the FM Tuner at some points sound equal to the Sony Record Player with AT stylus?
These (I mean any FM Tuner and any TT) are independent sound signal sources, and their quality levels are to analyze apart, without any interlink.
I have a feeling maybe the stylus is causing the lack of perfect sound issues. I will buy a better one and think more thoroughly after that... if it doesn't get better, maybe pin the lack of perfect sound on the speakers or the amp. I'm thinking maybe the speakers.
A TT and its components’ (in perfect technical condition, sure) quality level affects directly the resulting sound quality of a system, but has no effect on the other components’ quality parameters. They are to analyze apart.

===

And finally, the Yamaha RX-396 being not an amplifier, but a stereo receiver, with 40 stations (!) preset memory and good or very good amplifier quality parameters (THD, damping factor), its 50 W/ch RMS into 8 Ohms (and some more into 6 Ohms) may be largely sufficient feeding high/medium efficiency speakers in a rather small room, and insufficient feeding medium/low efficiency speakers in a great hall. Especially in the case of strong equalizing boosts. And beware of strong high frequencies boosts at high listening levels, fraught with tweeters damage and/or hearing damage.

Back
Top Bottom