two m80's in the shop

jstewa77

I dropped off two m80 amps at a highly regarded and AK recommended local shop back in December.

One had the protection light on, the other had shipping damage(rear terminals broke, etc).

I call for an update every month, the latest update is they can't find parts.

Are there parts that are so difficult to find that it takes almost six months?

Is there a chart of proper replacement parts I could point them to?

Luckily I have an m60 and mx800 on duty..

I dropped off two m80 amps at a highly regarded and AK recommended local shop back in December.

One had the protection light on, the other had shipping damage(rear terminals broke, etc).

I call for an update every month, the latest update is they can't find parts.

Are there parts that are so difficult to find that it takes almost six months?

Is there a chart of proper replacement parts I could point them to?

Luckily I have an m60 and mx800 on duty..

Find out what parts they are looking for. Rear terminals are going to have to come from a parts donor amplifier. Unless, the speaker binding posts are upgraded to "off the shelf" 5-way binding posts.
As far as the electronics goes, between BD Enterprise and Mouser, I don't have any problems finding parts.

Last edited:
Find out what parts they are looking for. Rear terminals are going to have to come from a parts donor amplifier. Unless, the speaker binding posts are upgraded to "off the shelf" 5-way binding posts.
As far as the electronics goes, between BD Enterprise and Mouser, I don't have any problems finding parts.

Thank you. I will be stopping in to pick up a c80 that is ready and a b6 which was going to be cost prohibitive to fix. (Protection light) and plan to ask what parts are needed.

I will pass on Mouser and BD Enterprises while there.

You are a very generous person. I would be calling for an update every few days minimum, and after a month I'd be almost at the point of violence. Thankfully my tech has always gotten my stuff back to me in about a week tops.

Hopefully it's taking that long because it has serious issues that need to be dealt with, and not due to incompetence or laziness.

Spoke to them in person today while picking up a B6 and C80.

The parts they cannot find are the large filter caps, he says they cannot find any that fit size-wise.

I directed him to Mouser and B&D Enterprises. Hopefully he can find them.

Spoke to them in person today while picking up a B6 and C80.

The parts they cannot find are the large filter caps, he says they cannot find any that fit size-wise.

I directed him to Mouser and B&D Enterprises. Hopefully he can find them.

Those might need to be fabricated.If they are indeed bad.

It's not a "complication issue" it's a space issue. The main caps are HUGE for value (the size of the main caps is oddball) and all the caps that come close are too tall to fit. So you are left having to come up with fitting a round peg into a square hole.

It's not a "complication issue" it's a space issue. The main caps are HUGE for value (the size of the main caps is oddball) and all the caps that come close are too tall to fit. So you are left having to come up with fitting a round peg into a square hole.

Is there a common work around? If so I would greatly appreciate being able to pass it on.

Do those caps commonly go bad? One was working but damaged in shipping and the other went into protection mode.

Do those caps commonly go bad

Not really. I haven't seen a bad one yet. M-80/85's are a bitch if they have shorted outputs. Usually takes out a handful of resistors and smaller transistors. Lots of collateral damage.

Not really. I haven't seen a bad one yet. M-80/85's are a bitch if they have shorted outputs. Usually takes out a handful of resistors and smaller transistors. Lots of collateral damage.

Hmm. Maybe I should write off the estimate fees, pick them up and take them to a different shop.

I still can't get over the estimate on the B6 they still think is a mono-block.

Back
Top Bottom